rllmuk
rundll

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

I'm in the market for a new camera. Looking at the a7. Is there anything else I should be looking at around that price?

Not if you want full frame in a body that size.

• Upvote 1

The Sony a6000 looks really good. I'm now torn between that and the D70. Very different cameras I know.

You need to go to a good shop and play with everything. It's easy to recommend when you've already got the specific niche decided (as with you mum) but you need to get your hands on them. You'll pay very slightly more than online, but they can usually mitigate that with extras.

• Upvote 1

I'd guess it depends how long term you're looking, because I would wager in 5 years time Sony will no longer be in the SLR market. In fact we'll probably be left with Canon and Nikon, with everything else being camera phones.

Bridge cameras will die out eventually as well, seeing as no one is actually making and money out of them...

If Sony give up, it'll put Nikon in a slightly awkward situation since they use Sony sensors so heavily. I think there will be a buyout one way or the other at some point.

Canon is the safest one looking at it from that direction, but I don't think that any of them going out of business would make lenses etc. drop in price so it's not going to affect you until one of the other formats moves miles ahead.

I think he means stop making dSLR's, not sensors :)

They make medium-format sensors as well, but don't make actual MF camera's.

I don't think Sony will stop with the dSLR business, but can definitely see it getting even less attention than their mirrorless business.

Yeah, I got what he meant. Then I wandered off on my own - I was saying that in the light of the problems at Sony, rather than based on trends in photography. If they can wrap their photography business up as a whole and move it to a subsidiary (as they've done with TVs) or find a buyer I'm pretty sure they will. Both would mean a massive re-think.

I just spoke to my local camera shop and I'm off to try the 70D and a6000 tomorrow morning. Again thanks for the advice guys. I really do love this place sometimes ^_^

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I got what he meant. Then I wandered off on my own - I was saying that in the light of the problems at Sony, rather than based on trends in photography. If they can wrap their photography business up as a whole and move it to a subsidiary (as they've done with TVs) or find a buyer I'm pretty sure they will. Both would mean a massive re-think.

Hmm, I dunno why they would as the imaging division is profitable.

Not that surprising since they get a slice of just about every Nikon sold, and their system-camera's are doing well. Not to mention the very big amount of phone camera-sensors which are Sony's as well.

83% sure those profits don't include sensors, I think they're in semi-conductors and components so it's better than that looks. That's had a fairly massive plunge due to compacts/video-cameras.

If that was the whole business they'd be fine, they're decent numbers. The trouble is that it's not and it's not big enough to turn the rest of the company around and that makes it vulnerable.

Awesome! Cool camera and welcome to the club ;)

Thanks Rev-happy!

I've not even had the camera for a day yet and can already tell what a step up it is from my Canon G9. I got it with the two kits lenses. A 16-50 and a 55-210. I think the glass is ok but already I can see it's limitations.

I'm going on holiday on Friday so the kit lenses will be perfect for me to get used to the camera.

Ok before I start waffling on, can I ask you (everyone) what do you think would be the best 3 lenses for portrait (shallow dof), all round use and telephoto?

It's a bit of a mine field because the Sony lens range is limited and yet you can get a metabones adaptor which then opens you up to hundreds of different lenses from everyone else! So yes I'm confused but I'd say my budget for 3 good lenses would be around £2,000.

If I had the money I'd get the Sony E Mount to Canon EF Metabones adapter and a couple of the Sigma ART Primes which are amazing. This is more about the video on the A6000 but still might be interesting for you.

Thanks andy_s. That's the kind of advice I need to hear as I'm completely new to this lens malarky. Any particular Sigma ART Prime?

Will check out the link now.

Cheers!

Thanks andy_s. That's the kind of advice I need to hear as I'm completely new to this lens malarky. Any particular Sigma ART Prime?

Will check out the link now.

Cheers!

The 35mm 1.4 would be my first choice.

• Upvote 1

Andy - I don't suppose you've used the 50mm have you?

Thanks Rev-happy!

I've not even had the camera for a day yet and can already tell what a step up it is from my Canon G9. I got it with the two kits lenses. A 16-50 and a 55-210. I think the glass is ok but already I can see it's limitations.

I'm going on holiday on Friday so the kit lenses will be perfect for me to get used to the camera.

Ok before I start waffling on, can I ask you (everyone) what do you think would be the best 3 lenses for portrait (shallow dof), all round use and telephoto?

It's a bit of a mine field because the Sony lens range is limited and yet you can get a metabones adaptor which then opens you up to hundreds of different lenses from everyone else! So yes I'm confused but I'd say my budget for 3 good lenses would be around £2,000.

Personally I'd leave it for a bit, find out what you're enjoying most and then spend money there. The exception to that is that I'd get a pancake (ie. thin) lens quickly for the sake of general portability. This seems to be the Sony one of choice at the moment:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SEL20F28-Alpha-Series-Lens/dp/B00BBWMHBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401114055&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+20mm

When you want portability, and you will, there's nothing better than that sort of thing. It's not going to be the perfect-perfect lens, but it seems to be pretty good.

It's better to get used to it all though and then decide what you want next.

Congrats on the new camera!

• Upvote 2

Andy - I don't suppose you've used the 50mm have you?

No, my mate has the 30mm and 35mm and I've been hugely impressed by both. Sigma seem to be on a roll at the moment.

Sigma were always better than they seemed, it was just their quality control used to be appalling. My (previous version) Sigma f1.4 was a good lens as I made sure I got a decent copy, even that needed microadjusting on camera, but the new one looks to fully obliterate it.

just ordered the cheapo samyang 14mm f2.8 lens for my 5d... primarily for milky way shots... should be nice and wide on the full frame, full manual focus etc, but apparently its pretty good for astro stuff...managed to find it for £250 so we shall see...

just ordered the cheapo samyang 14mm f2.8 lens for my 5d... primarily for milky way shots... should be nice and wide on the full frame, full manual focus etc, but apparently its pretty good for astro stuff...managed to find it for £250 so we shall see...

'Tis my favourite lens for playing with. The distortion is an utter pain, it's impossible to fix - there are a few Lightroom profiles kicking around but they're all just differently wrong. But as long as you're not doing architectural it's fantastic. Weirdly, 100mm f2.8L aside, it's my sharpest lens for the very centre. Miles ahead of the 24-105mm. Drops off rapidly, but it's a neat little bonus. And dead easy to use too - the depth of field is forgiving enough that anything beyond 3m is at infinity, the aperture is nicely clunky. The Sigma 12-24mm is shit in comparison.

You'll love it.

Well I've bought it primarily for Milky Way photos.... Am I right in thinking the infinity marking on the focus is as far as the focus will go, which will come in handy as a lot of other lens's still have a bit if travel when you reach infinity....

Hopefully it will turn up before next weekend as I'm off to Cornwall and hoping for some clear skies...

IIRC, yes it stops at infinity. My Sigma 100-300 is awful for that, it actively changes the focus after reaching infinity meaning there is no way to tell where actual infinity is.

Apologies if this is asked recently but I figure these are things are sometimes worth revisiting anyway as new products come out.

I'm after a new screen for editing photos.

I obviously want it to be 1920x1080 but I don't know if there's benefit from going higher? Primarily it's for post processing. I figure if it's good for that - it'll be good for anything else I want it for. I don't really play games any more so I'll probably watch netflix in bed on it but I don't give a shit how good quality that is. I need to be sure that the photos I'm editing in lightroom or camera raw are being represented as true as they can.

I'd like it to have multiple HDMI inputs, just as a convenience - apart from having my desktop in permanently, I'd like a spare cable for occasionally plugging my laptop in when i'd need to, and for leaving a chromecast plugged in. Possibly. I guess it's not a dealbreaker. Ultimately editing photos is the priority over all else.

I don't know what my budget is. Under £300 I guess. Depends what over £300 gets me.

Now I'm sure there are "professional screens" out there that are £1000 or whatever and I'm sure they're better for some reason but I don't think I need to be that purist about it and my budget can't stretch that high - once it gets over a certain point I might as well buy a new lens or something and 'make do' :P

I'm just wondering what I should look for, can people recommend some good screens, good brands, what do peope here use, and so on.

Thanks!

IIRC, yes it stops at infinity. My Sigma 100-300 is awful for that, it actively changes the focus after reaching infinity meaning there is no way to tell where actual infinity is.

You can't lock focus or back button focus it?

Apologies if this is asked recently but I figure these are things are sometimes worth revisiting anyway as new products come out.

I'm after a new screen for editing photos.

I obviously want it to be 1920x1080 but I don't know if there's benefit from going higher? Primarily it's for post processing. I figure if it's good for that - it'll be good for anything else I want it for. I don't really play games any more so I'll probably watch netflix in bed on it but I don't give a shit how good quality that is. I need to be sure that the photos I'm editing in lightroom or camera raw are being represented as true as they can.

I'd like it to have multiple HDMI inputs, just as a convenience - apart from having my desktop in permanently, I'd like a spare cable for occasionally plugging my laptop in when i'd need to, and for leaving a chromecast plugged in. Possibly. I guess it's not a dealbreaker. Ultimately editing photos is the priority over all else.

I don't know what my budget is. Under £300 I guess. Depends what over £300 gets me.

Now I'm sure there are "professional screens" out there that are £1000 or whatever and I'm sure they're better for some reason but I don't think I need to be that purist about it and my budget can't stretch that high - once it gets over a certain point I might as well buy a new lens or something and 'make do' :P

I'm just wondering what I should look for, can people recommend some good screens, good brands, what do peope here use, and so on.

Thanks!

Well looki what we got here..

NEC MultiSync EA273WM

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/04/24/best-monitor-for-photo-editing-4-top-models-tested-and-rated/3/

One left...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEC-EA273WM-MultiSync-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B006DEG416

You can't lock focus or back button focus it?

It has to be manual focus for space stuff, 5D2 AF is nowhere near that clever. It's only messing about stuff anyway, nothing serious. Just a bit crap/annoying.

My Olympus 35 RC just arrived. It is in pretty amazing condition. I'm so happy :)attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1401104545062.jpg

They are nice. Sadly my copy has a light leak, so I need to replace the sealing at some point...

I recc the Olympus Trip 35 too, amazing how well it works.