IGNORED

Photography Equipment & Software Thread

rundll

No but you could get a couple of decent collapsible neutral tripod lights for 150-200 I’d have thought. I only have a kind of cheap bundle with white/black/green backdrop etc from amazon and honestly I’ve never used it properly but that was maybe £130?

e.g. (though out of stock from these UK bods)

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/interfit-f5-two-head-fluorescent-lighting-kit-1579703/

So something like this could be good for artwork? When I look at them they seem to be more for photographing props with plain backgrounds for photoshopping? Not sure how effective they would be for canvas photography?

image.thumb.png.9ecb5cdef2937f1e694f7bf5ab3fc755.png

If they are canvas paintings then I’d hang them on the wall and photograph them like that.  Two lights at 45 degrees to the canvas, camera in the middle.  If you’re shooting jpeg on your phone then getting the correct white balance can make a lot of difference but you can get a grey card for next to nothing.  

Yeah exactly, get some uniform overlapped lighting and shoot from in between. Phone or that Olympus should both produce good results. What media is she using? I could imagine oils might lend themselves to being lit from one side but I’m really guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a compact camera with optical zoom and fast shutter speed and viewfinder for taking photos of wildlife etc whilst on walks. 

Ideally not massively expensive but interested in best bang for buck so to speak.

5 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

Any recommendations for a compact camera with optical zoom and fast shutter speed and viewfinder for taking photos of wildlife etc whilst on walks. 

Ideally not massively expensive but interested in best bang for buck so to speak.

Sony RX100 is great. The latest model will be pricey but you can pick up previous versions at a good price. I have a Mark III which is ancient in camera terms but still a fantastic bit of kit.

Seconded on the RX100.  I've also got a mk iii which is an impressive bit of kit.  

I wouldn't touch the mk1 or mk2 at this point, the mk3 does 1080p video.  I think all of the newer ones (mk4 -mk7) do 4k, though I'm not sure how usable that is with overheating.   The main other differences between the models is that the mk3, 4 & 5 have a 24-70 equivalent zoom which is a really fast lens (f/1.8-2.8) while the 6 and 7 have a 24-200 equivalent zoom which has a much longer reach but is quite a bit slower (f/2.8-4.5)  

DSC06545.jpg

rx100 mkiii  8.8mm  1/160th, f/5.6 iso1000

Just looking on mpb.com for a rough guide to prices and you can get a good mk3 for £300, mk4's go from about £340 (good) to £400 (like new) and they've got a "good" mk5 on there for £400 and excellent/like new ones for £460-£480.    There's quite a big jump to the mk6, you'll struggle to find one for less than £650 but that 200mm equivalent zoom will be a little bit better for taking pictures of wildlife.  It's still not really enough for birds and the like but you'll get a squirrel in a tree with it.  

The mk5 onwards also have significantly upgraded autofocus.   I've never found the autofocus to be an issue on the mk3, but on paper you're going from 25 points contrast detect autofocus to 315 points phase detect.   Maybe that's huge if you are shooting in poor light or kids who like zooming around the place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2021 at 12:15, choddo said:

Yeah exactly, get some uniform overlapped lighting and shoot from in between. Phone or that Olympus should both produce good results. What media is she using? I could imagine oils might lend themselves to being lit from one side but I’m really guessing.

Oil paints. So it sounds like we should just use my iphone 12 and get some kind of light box or lighting. These kind of foldable lightboxs seem convenient but they seem to be aimed more at creating snaps for photoshopping? never see any of these being used for flat paintings/artwork. 

image.png.65eeb7d7afad0bcf57141c67392cd5d2.png

On 03/04/2021 at 10:30, Naysonymous said:

Seconded on the RX100. 

Thanks. It's my partner that's wanting, and we still seem to be in a minefield of best options over compromise. Looks like zoom to get decent bird photos is becoming the priority, so without compromising image quality suggests that a bridge camera is going to be better. 

So any suggestions of a non bulky, easy to grab out of a backpack and not complex to point type arrangement. Thinking a Nikon Coolpix 900, 950?

I'm not a fan of bridge cameras at all, the image quality is generally poor and they are a pain in the arse to use.  Yeah you get a lot of reach from the lens but they just strike me as being good for taking photos of birds in optimal lighting conditions or if you like taking pictures of the moon looking all huge behind a tall building and don't mind only shooting with a tripod.  Totally my personal bias of course but such is product advice.    I know Nikon do some xx-300mm zoom lenses for their APS-C cameras, the D3400 and D3500 are very capable bodies you can probably get for £300 in good nick if you don't mind buying used, same again on a lens and you've got a birding kit for about £600? (this is off the top of my head) and of course that gives you the option to add more lenses later if you want something better for shooting indoors or portraits or something. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any experience of selling gear to mpb.com? Or can recommend any other online stores. I'm looking to ditch my Nikon D3300 along with Nikkor 50mm/1.8 and 70-200mm 4.5 6.3 for a Sony A7 III with 28-70mm kit lens and a Sony 70-200mm f4. 

I was going to buy second hand from mpb but Amazon are doing a good discount and Sony are offering 200 quid cashback on the lens and another 200 on the body. 

On 24/06/2020 at 23:20, Agent L said:

I've bought and sold from them and visited their offices (I live near Brighton). Never any complaints from me. Everything has been exactly as they say it will be and I've had no reason to return anything due to faults or not being as described. My dad has used them a few times too with no issues.

Personally, I'd spend the thirty quid on something else so long as the cheaper option is optically fine.

There's the last time it was asked.

@Jamie John @Fox do you guys still shoot with a Nikon D3*00 series? I've just sold my D3300 and they didn't want my second battery. It's an official Nikon battery, identical to the original. First come, first served if either of you want it (for nowt) let me know and I'll get it in the post.

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

@Jamie John @Fox do you guys still shoot with a Nikon D3*00 series? I've just sold my D3300 and they didn't want my second battery. It's an official Nikon battery, identical to the original. First come, first served if either of you want it (for nowt) let me know and I'll get it in the post.

Yeah, D3400. I'll take it! Thanks very much. 

2 hours ago, Fox said:

Yeah, D3400. I'll take it! Thanks very much. 

Great. Send me a PM with your details and I'll get it in the post this week. 

• 1 month later...

Lucas wants to do some long exposure / flowing water type stuff. 

He wants me to ask advice on filters to get that will fit Canon AF* lens.

*I think. He has 50mm Prime, 65mm Macro, 70-200mm Telephoto 

Might be better off buying a filter kit that can take different filters rather than specific lens. 

They are basically screw on adapters that allow someone to slot in a square filter for exactly things like long exposure. 

Something like this is the very cheap end of the scale but maybe a good start. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-in1-Neutral-Density-Gradual-ND-Filter-Kit-for-DSLR-Camera-Lens-Photography-UK-/313227000902?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• 3 months later...

A weird one, but a week or so back somebody from an agency approached me on Instagram and asked if I would be interested in selling some photos.  I've never tried to sell anything before so I've not got a clue what to do.  I made up some bullshit about having sold images in the past for £30 and after a few more emails in each direction they've sent me a contact sheet with stuff they'd considering buying if I were happy to sell.  Obvs as a cheap bastard I'm happy to sell them a license to anything, but is there anything I should know here?  There's talk of some NDA agreement if I do sell. Anything I should know about this. 

They only want images which could be printed at 1000 x 700 mm (40 x 27 inches?) which might rule out some of the heavier crops.  I shoot on a 24 megapixel camera which has a resolution of 6000 x 4000 uncropped, but what kind of resolution are you looking at for that size image? 

On 22/10/2021 at 21:25, Naysonymous said:

A weird one, but a week or so back somebody from an agency approached me on Instagram and asked if I would be interested in selling some photos.  I've never tried to sell anything before so I've not got a clue what to do.  I made up some bullshit about having sold images in the past for £30 and after a few more emails in each direction they've sent me a contact sheet with stuff they'd considering buying if I were happy to sell.  Obvs as a cheap bastard I'm happy to sell them a license to anything, but is there anything I should know here?  There's talk of some NDA agreement if I do sell. Anything I should know about this. 

They only want images which could be printed at 1000 x 700 mm (40 x 27 inches?) which might rule out some of the heavier crops.  I shoot on a 24 megapixel camera which has a resolution of 6000 x 4000 uncropped, but what kind of resolution are you looking at for that size image? 

If it helps I printed off a massive canvas of a 24mp that was that size I think and the print out was perfect 

On 03/11/2021 at 09:30, p1nseeker said:

Anyone bought lenses from CEX? There's some lenses I couldn't otherwise justify paying for, they are cheap but I'm wary about their QA processes when taking them in.

I’ve bought a 24-70 and. 70-200. Both in great condition plus 2yr warranty.

They were also selling them at MBP equivalent of poor prices as well.

I’ve found MBP poor value and over priced.

As always shop around, I've found MBP to be very good.

You could also look at grey imports, so you get new products at a vastly reduced price and still get warranty, though the resell value will probably be reduced. I've used HDEW numerous times. 

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVF_GaJwfjltB5qA-5qug1N-VSmdqFFb5Nz0Ejcl0C0g81fSjNrcc9UaArvqEALw_wcB