Justice League

toonfool

I thought I was going to hate this but it actually sold me on considering a rewatch of BvS. I watched it on a plane once and quite liked the first hour, but the end felt like 10 hours. 

Not only do I discover there is an Ultimate edition, but they're releasing an Ultimate-er version and it's going to be the closer to 4:3 aspect ratio?

I'm all in. Preordered.

If the only newly shot footage encompassed the final few scenes, it at least left me on the positive note that Affleck is taking care of himself. He didn't fill out the cowl prop, and the final smile felt genuine.

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

Syndie comes across as a nice chat in this little clip.

His fans are toxic but he’s a good guy.

He

I was watching an interview of his where he wanted black Green Lantern in JL but WB refused and his argument was he didn’t want to cut a person of colour.

He has a good heart unlike Joss Weasel

Saw this last night, I was going to split it between two nights but it was entertaining enough that I sat through the whole thing in one shot.

It's vastly superior, obviously. It's not perfect, there's some naff dialogue and the epilogue was pretty pointless. Speaking of pointless,

Spoiler

Aquaman, Batman and Wonder Woman didn't really do much, pretty much just acting as rodeo clowns to the real contributors - Flash, Cyborg and Supes. The scene where Barry breaks his light-speed rule was awesome.

I've no idea who the hell "Alien Bounty Hunter" (or whatever) is but I'm sure his appearance wetted the pants of comic nerds everywhere.

Very good effort, almost seems a shame we won't get a follow up now.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Saw this last night, I was going to split it between two nights but it was entertaining enough that I sat through the whole thing in one shot.

It's vastly superior, obviously. It's not perfect, there's some naff dialogue and the epilogue was pretty pointless. Speaking of pointless,

Hide contents

Aquaman, Batman and Wonder Woman didn't really do much, pretty much just acting as rodeo clowns to the real contributors - Flash, Cyborg and Supes. The scene where Barry breaks his light-speed rule was awesome.

I've no idea who the hell "Alien Bounty Hunter" (or whatever) is but I'm sure his appearance wetted the pants of comic nerds everywhere.

Very good effort, almost seems a shame we won't get a follow up now.

rhat spoiler

Spoiler

image.gif.3f10145632dd577cf5c58b2a489d8922.gif

“SLAAAAAAADE!”

”SUHLAAAYYYDE!”

”SLAAAAAAAAAAADE!”

nah, I’m pretty sure he’s deadpool...

The four hours didn’t quite fly by, but near enough. As already said, vastly superior to Whedon’s cut and shut attempt, even with all the double introductions and multi-endings.

I'm surprised at the positive reaction to this in here and elsewhere (RedLetterMedia were even pretty keen on it) because I just finished watching this over four evenings and thought it was shit. I've not seen the Whedon cut and can hardly remember anything about BvS. It was pretty cool to be able to stream a big, hyped new release but I kind of wish I had my four hours back.

Everything was so generic and dour. CGI alien wants to collect the macguffins together to make a world-ending super-macguffin. It spent time with the characters but none of it was interesting, especially Cyborg. I had to laugh at the culmination of his intro being making some money come out of a cashpoint after Wonder Woman had the foiled bank robbery and Flash had the cool slo-mo rescue.

Does live-action Batman ever look good other than in silhouette? He always looks so cool in the comics but the costume just doesn't seem to translate. The cowl is always too fat and he looks like a pillock.

If you never had enough interest in the DCU to even watch their avengers equivalent, then yeah, I doubt you'd like either version. I think it's good for a superhero movie. Where something like infinity war, is just a great movie. So not sure how it would stand up if that stuff isn't really your bag.

The more I think about the cyborg stuff, the more I think it’s really poorly done. I get why Fisher was upset - the film he signed on for and did a load of work for was changed massively- but the stuff that’s stuff that’s been added seems to be being praised by virtue of it being more than what was present and because they’re happy for the people involved. Which I kind of get, and if you wanted to see more Cyborg it’s better I guess? But for me, the stuff with his dad his really ham fisted, and at times doesn’t make that much sense. 

Spoiler

So his mum died in a crash which also would have killed him, and he blames his dad. Now, I think this is a touch unreasonable - his dad could have been there and they all have been the victim of the crash for all they know - but he also blames him for making him into a “monster”. Part of that is so they can do the dramatic “Cyborg accepts this is who he is now” later on when he’s inside the mother boxes.  But the films spells out (from what I remember at least) that he was going to die as well if nothing was done.  So his dad saved him. I don’t buy that he’d blame his dad for the crash and that he’d not understand that his dad wanted to save him.

There are things he could have been angry at his dad for or they could have changed it ever so slightly to make a little more sense. For example, rather than literally say “mum would be alive if you’d been there” be mad for not being there more when she was alive. Make it so that instead of deffo being on the way out, he was going to have suffered brain damage as well as the physical injuries, and his dad did that too him knowing he’d still be alive but different. Then the anger comes from him not being given the choice in the life he’d have, instead of basically being “well the other option would be dead soooo”. You also then get to have had dead have to think about if he made the right choice, even if he didn’t intend for this outcome, and try to reconcile with him over why he did. 

Like I said, it’s super ham fisted as well. They literally do a dramatic “you know about monsters....you created me”. Then they have a scene which in context is actually kind of odd where his dad tries to talk to him, and he’s like, if you won’t listen to me, listen to this tape. And the tape is just there to explain his powers. And then, they go and do the “great power/responsiblity” bit just slightly differently...and immediately they show him abusing his powers to give a random woman some money. There doesn’t seem to be any reason for this, and I’ll be damned if I can see what this is supposed to mean. The whole scene is weird.

Then later on, dad sacrificed himself, because of course that’s going to happen, but he does so to.....superheat a cube.  This makes it “the hottest thing on the planet” but at no point do we see how this information is known by cyborg or how his dad would know that he’d pick this up - he basically did hoping that he’d know. Or figure it out. But it has to happen to give that moment, or at least that’s how it feels.

I really think they could do more to make the scene where he finally accepts this is who he is feel earned. Prior to that they ham fist the “I’m a monster” thing to the point where it feels like his gait is very deliberately hunchback like. 

I think there’s potential for interesting stories with Cyborg - hell, one of the animated Teen Titans series handled him coming to terms with his cyborg elements better. But I can actually see why they Hawkeyed the character to get the running time down - the scenes are kinda all or nothing. 

My opinion is coloured somewhat by knowing how shite the 2017 version is but I genuinely enjoyed this film despite its flaws. Yes, it could be cut a little shorter easily enough, lose the nightmare ending, lose the weird Icelandic singing, Gal Gadot cannot act and Aquaman is a wasted to name a few off the top of my head. 

Despite this, there's a fair few standout scenes imho mostly involving the flash and cyborg, it held my attention for four hours which is no mean feat for me (in one sitting no less) although I can understand why it's polarising. 

On 23/03/2021 at 16:37, Harsin said:

Bit worrying that the supposed paragon of heroes is constantly one bad breakup away from committing global genocide.

This is pretty common in the comics as well - Lois being the thing that influences him massively in some way.  In Injustice, his path to becoming a global dictator and murderer (extending the murder to good guys that don’t agree with him) is the Joker tricking him into killing Lois and him going “fuck it” and deciding that if people aren’t going to behave he’s going to make them.

I would like to see a version of the Injustice story on screen but as they do it in the comics where Superman goes down that path rather than how they hinted here

Spoiler

Being controlled by the anti life equation macguffin 

Though to do it properly I think you’d need quite a long time to do it. In Injustice, there’s still quite a while where there’s a line, where you can kind of see where the “heroes” are doing what they believe to be right, or for the greater good, for it to then lead to eventually using it to justify pretty shitty things. I don’t think you could (or should) show someone like Superman going bad over the course of a film like that. 

4 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I would like to see a version of the Injustice story on screen

I'm slightly ashamed to admit I watched a video of all the Injustice 2 cutscenes stuck together and I agree, that would make a great film!

Was it just me, or was the amount of information fed to the audience about the mother boxes the same in both movies, or possibly even less in the Snyder cut?

I found myself going say what now for a few of the motherbox moments.