Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

Goose

Maybe I'm really out of touch but surely most people still watch downloaded films on their monitors?

I know it's naughty but we watched this last night, DVD rip on my Projector through my modded Xbox.

Looked fantastic... Shame there was simply no film to back up the visuals. Or rather, there was too much film. Things seem to happen arbitrarily for no reason. It's all very confusing and pretty anti-climactic.

Best bit is the opening animation telling the story of the Golden Army. It's all downhill after that.

i watched this all bar the last 40 minutes a couple weeks back. unfourtunatly it was gone mdinight and i was sleepy - i probably need to rewatch from the beggining. I loved the art style but i wasnt amazingly enthralled by the story. I shall watch again sometime soon.

It was also quite amazing that Seth McFarlane was the voice of that German tinman (Krauss?). It was basically just Stewie Griffin with a German accent. :(

[obvious]... or it's Klaus from American Dad?[/obvious]

Just watched the R5, absolutely friggin loved it.

EDIT : In particular, massive lol @ Giant's Causeway. I love my country.

EDIT : In particular, massive lol @ Giant's Causeway.

Wasn't it weird though that after mentioning it they never showed it? Instead you get a.... field. I mean i wasn't expecting them to film in the actual spot but even a CGI backdrop of it would've looked more impressive than the location they used!

You know, people can laugh at Crispin Glover all they want when he said this would be the best blockbuster of the year, but I actually agree with him. You liked this more than The Dark Knight, Vemsie? Yes, I did, folks.

It's much stronger than the first for me, thematically, story-wise, action-wise, character-wise and villain-vise.

It's staggering how much Del Toro gets out of his relatively small budget. It looks absolutely spectacular, with inspired visual design. The Hobbit is in safe hands.

The interaction between these characters was already great in the first, but it's much better here. Ditching Meyers was a good thing I think, and the same can be said about turning Abe into a more important character. It's touching at times and very funny at others. Krauss is a great addition as well.

The first never really wowed me with its creatures and action scenes, but this one certainly did. Del Toro already proved he could do action with Blade II and he repeats it here. The prince in particular fights like he's from a great Hong Kong martial arts film and it doesn't need quick cuts to work. Great stuff. I also really digged that slow mo shot of Hellboy falling down.

There's much more to like, from the Christmassy opening and the puppets (though I didn't like child Hellboy much either) to the Troll Market and the Barry Manilow sing-along.

It really worked thematically as well. It shares with Wall-E it's critique of the selfishness of men and the way we disrespect the Earth, even though there is a bit of understanding when the king says "it's in out nature".

But it's also about the loss of beauty, the loss of a sense of wonder. It's a shame I don't have the entire CHUD interview with Guillermo (I posted part of it in this thread), as he talks about that in more detail. It's clearly something that is close to his heart in a world where everything seems readily available these days.

It's mostly evident in two scenes, the death of the prince and princess ("the world will be poorer for it") and the forest elemental scene. Clearly the highlight of the movie I thought, it's an astonishing creature that reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus. You feel sad when it dies, this majestic being, the last of its kind. It's beautiful and sad at the same time and in itself a richer scene than anything in any other summer movie this year.

It's nice to see directors like Guillermo at work to keep that sense of wonder in movies.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Great film and definitely better than the first.

Saw it last night, and like all Del Toro films I thought it was just a whole load of style over substance. It was just a series of scenes containing some new 'crazy' monster, most of which were all a little too familiar. I thought the story was rushed and pretty uninteresting, and there were a few points where i thought the choice of music was extremely jarring. The only thing it got right was that most of the main characters were pretty fun to watch, other than Blair's who was shit.

I thought it was brilliant, with only two minor reservations (both of which have already come up in here): some of the creatures were too similar to things I've seen before in Pan's Labyrinth, and the plot device regarding

Hellboy's wounding

seemed to get wrapped up incidentally to the story, leaving Abe's dilemma a bit pointless.

Other than that, though, I really enjoyed it. A nice, fun story that had action and laughs and drama and drunken singing. Excellent

I was finding it mostly boring. I didn't make it through all of the first picture, never saw what others did in Pan's Labyrinth, and despite the odd good bit featuring Krauss or Hank Kingsley I was starting to huff my way through this one, shifting impatiently in my seat, grumbling to myself about movie critics. And then came the 1-2-3 punch of the plant boss, the locker-room fight and the song, and those carried me through to the finish on a wave of happiness. It was a pretty satisfying fairytale.

A lot of interesting pieces strung together without a particularly satisfying narrative. The angel of death alluding to Hellboy destroying the world was pretty cool and could have been a source of drama and tension if it wasn't obvious it wouldn't be relevant in this film, in fact it's pretty crazy referring to an as yet unmade sequel in that way. Ultimately it seems to fall foul of the same pitfalls that nearly all comic book adaptations do in trying to squeeze too much in, referring to a broader story arc and to an extent bowing to fanboy expectations.

A lot of interesting pieces strung together without a particularly satisfying narrative. The angel of death alluding to Hellboy destroying the world was pretty cool and could have been a source of drama and tension if it wasn't obvious it wouldn't be relevant in this film, in fact it's pretty crazy referring to an as yet unmade sequel in that way. Ultimately it seems to fall foul of the same pitfalls that nearly all comic book adaptations do in trying to squeeze too much in, referring to a broader story arc and to an extent bowing to fanboy expectations.

It was relevant to this story, though. The fish man had to make a decision about what he'd be prepared to sacrifice for Princess Ally MacBeal, and Ally MacBeal had to decide what she'd be prepared to sacrifice for them. Hellboy had to weigh up killing the plant boss, and by extension many other monsters, for the sake of humanity. Hellboy's girlfriend's choice fit into that theme, I thought, even if we don't see the consequences of her decision.

Ah I see, I was a shade drunk when watching. Anyway it was fun enough and reminded me to watch the Orphanage which I missed on release. I quite like the Hellboy character and it would be good to see him worked into a longer narrative, guess I better read the comics. :(

Count me as sadly underwhelmed. Like the previous film, the best bits were the more quiet and personal moments (for the original's rooftop scene, see HB and Abe getting drunk) whereas the action scenes actually had me staring at my watch (particularly the fight in the Troll Market). It's really strange, the ingredients are all there (the guys were great and I really liked Nuada and Nuala) and yet something just feels terribly off about it all. Biggest letdown was Johann - I don't recall finding a character as annoying since *that* floppy-eared fuckwit from The Phantom Menace but that may just be because I much preferred the comic version of him where he wasn't an asshole at all.

Ah well.

Loved this. Enjoyed it more than The Dark Knight - TDK was also excellent, but Hellboy 2 never forgets it is a comicbook movie, and is all the better for it.

Only real downer - child Hellboy (Hellboy-boy?). The kid just couldn't act under the make-up, and evidently he either couldn't speak through the prosthetic teeth or the sound recordist fucked up, as they dubbed him as well. Slightly ironic, as in his interview with Kermode on Radio 5 last week, Del Toro was praising Doug Jones to the rafters as being a rare actor who can still do the physical side of a role underneath an elaborate costume or make-up job.

I much preferred David Hyde-Pirce doing Abe's voice. The Doug Jones not in his league at all - clearly, which is why he was dubbed in the first.

Just saw this on IMDB:

aka "Hellboy 2 - Die goldene Armee" - Germany

:P

Never realised German was just alliterated English before.

Enjoyed, though will have to watch a second time to really cement it. Did anyone else notice the nods to Miyazaki? The Elemental was straight out of Princess Mononoke and in the first troll market scene you see a load of guys who look exactly like the ghost thing from Spirited Away.

I much preferred David Hyde-Pirce doing Abe's voice. The Doug Jones not in his league at all - clearly, which is why he was dubbed in the first.

I was confused about this. It's Doug trying to do DHP, and it just sounds weird. I suppose having a dub for some scenes - like the awesome duet - would have been a bit tricky.

IMDB says DHP didn't want to be credited for the voice in the first film because he thought Doug was the character 100%. Which is slightly odd.

C'mon, they even have a Scoobie Doo van to drive between adventures in. And Ron Perlman needs a steady job. Do you want him to wind up dealing crack in Brooklyn and sucking off tramps for quarters?

he'll turn up as beorn in the hobbit no doubt.

Did anyone else notice the nods to Miyazaki? The Elemental was straight out of Princess Mononoke and in the first troll market scene you see a load of guys who look exactly like the ghost thing from Spirited Away.

Yes, Fuck yes!

The elemental was Miyazaki all over, especially with the result of it's death. Infact that whole sequence sort of loosely summed up Princess Mononoke in about 4 minutes. I can't remember the creatures you mentioned from the troll market, but there was a (guy?) thing, who looked like that, from where Prince Nuada went to see his dad.

Anywho, enjoyed the film, more than I expected, though the end was a bit uncomfortable what with it being local to me and all. I can't say it must have done a lot for the impression of the Northern Irish when the first "person" seen there is a goblin on a cart with no legs, sticks for arms and a thick Belfast accent :)

Yes, Fuck yes!

The elemental was Miyazaki all over, especially with the result of it's death. Infact that whole sequence sort of loosely summed up Princess Mononoke in about 4 minutes. I can't remember the creatures you mentioned from the troll market, but there was a (guy?) thing, who looked like that, from where Prince Nuada went to see his dad.

Anywho, enjoyed the film, more than I expected, though the end was a bit uncomfortable what with it being local to me and all. I can't say it must have done a lot for the impression of the Northern Irish when the first "person" seen there is a goblin on a cart with no legs, sticks for arms and a thick Belfast accent :)

You've never been to Belfast before have you... :/