South Park

Beertiger

Wow what a really interesting episode. It did feel like them saying that soon the show will come to an end. I'm sure the show has been contracted to at least next year or the year after, can't remember which. You can see that Trey and Matt feel that the show can't go on for much longer, people will just end up hating on it. Already I've seen it in this thread, people saying the show isn't great anymore or "shit.," even though it really isn't.

Take The Simpsons as a prime example, we all think the new episodes are shit. I don't think Trey and Matt want the show to end up like that. It seems to imply that whatever remaining episodes will have continuing stories going on.

It would be sad for South Park to end but I wouldn't want it to end up like The Simpsons has.

That was probably the most honest piece of television I've ever seen in my life. Devastating and hilarious at the same time. You can kind of tell that they don't care as much as they used to, but to face up to it like that in such honest way takes some balls. I don't know if I'm saying this because I can't remember a time without South Park (it started when I was 10), because South Park is probably one of the most important comedies of all time, or because I'm pretty drunk right now, but damn, that was totally awesome in so many ways.

I know they haven't ended it, but I can't think of a better way of letting people know that it's going to.

Only 7 more episodes.

Ever.

I feel a bit sad now.

Have Parker & Stone actually explained themselves yet?

I agree that this is a fantastically honest way of telling the audience that they have become bored and unhappy making South Park and they know it's time to quit. What other TV show would do something so admirably honest and so beautifully heartbreaking?

But until they confirm this with a press release or an interview, we might be wrong. They could be fucking with us. Or the scene between Randy and Sharon might simply be less important than we read into it.

Still, they might want to quit after this season anyway, due to all the fans now admitting the show has been shit for a few years!

And I agree it has turned quite bad. I was amazed that South Park was doing it's BEST stuff after 10 or 11 years. We all gave South Park credit for getting better and better over the years, which is a great accolade, but also a burden for the show to carry. Yes it's great that seasons 10, 11, 12 were on top form... but that was actually a few years ago. It's now season 15 and it finally slipped.

Classic episode, reminded me of Raisins and the last episode of The Sopranos. Laugh out loud funny, puerile and poignant all at the same time.

This series has been great, and I don't know why everyone's all doom and gloom. Never heard of a mid-season cliff-hanger???

The three-parter in season 14 was like South Park the Movie 2 to me, and it's clear that they're keen to play with the format to keep it interesting for them.

I certainly wouldn't say the past few seasons have been shit . Sure there have been some hit and miss episodes but it's generally been decent . I don't think this season so far has been to bad excluding the robot episode which was pretty bad and I didn't think the royal one was all that besides the wedding stuff.

If they end it this season they maybe it's the right time but i hope If that's the case that they end it on a high.

South Park has always been hit and miss though. That's what comes with their format of producing episodes a week before they air. When they get it right, it's absolutely incredible. But of course when it doesn't work, you end up with some average or even terrible episodes. I guess they have no choice really. Once they've committed to a storyline, they can't change their minds halfway even if they feel the story and jokes aren't working.

The last two episodes of Season 15 have been A+ episodes though. The cynical asshole episode was inspired stuff.

Now that City Sushi is gone City Wok is the only Chinese restaurant in town! :lol:

And also, those lucky cats in City Sushi were actually Chinese... though I suppose that was part of the joke

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maneki_Neko

I didn't think much of the Chinese/Japanese side of it, the social commentary was only in the news reporter bits and the rest was just an excuse for racist jokes, just didn't seem justified.

That was one of the great episodes. Such a powerful ending mixed with such brilliant satire and gross out humour.

I guess the next three episodes will be dedicated to each of the main kids and then the show will close on a final trilogy. Perhaps with the kids as adults. That would seem right somehow.

Some random musings:

That unexpectedly floored me, I'd hadn't ever thought South Park could be emotionally affecting. Weirdly I was having similar thoughts about not enjoying a lot of popular culture (X Factor etc) and how maybe it would be more sociable if I did (or could) enjoy such entertainment. Maybe I am just a cynical asshole!

I do agree the quality has dipped in recent episodes, the gems have just been less frequent but no less amazing.

Brilliant episode, I can't wait to see the next one. Wikipedia says that Matt and Trey were on the Daily Show and still enjoying making the show.

Wonder if they decided that the last taboo for South Park was to be sincere, thought-provoking and emotional.

Edit: Just watched The Daily Show interview and they seemed more upbeat about South Park than I've heard them be about it in forever.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh look, south park is back. The first episode of the second part of season 15 is called "ass burgers". Maybe I'm feeling strange today but I thought it was utterly hysterical, and a promising return to form. Follows on from the last episode too.

Thanks for the reminder! I actually thought it was really good, probably one of the best this series. The 'Assburgers' part was pure, basic South Park but you have to love it.