PlayStation Home

joeplus

It's easy to jump in on a game of pooling. And I imagine you will be able to buy a pool table soon enough.

This is the problem right here. Sony fans making excuses. As PA pointed out just because its free doesnt mean we cant have expectations of something better. If everybody sat around saying none of the issues mattered then they wont bother doing something about it. Being in the Beta stage its the perfect time for these complaints and seeing as you are behind the PSN site I would have thought you'd be one of the first to come across with suggestions to improve it. Changes need to be made.

Edit. This isnt a dig at you or the site more the fact that Sony depend on marketing and if they release that something is wrong then theres a good chance they change.

It's brilliant! Yesterday I got several different timeout messages, tonight I always get past the license agreement level but then get a general 'server connection error' or something.

I love the way they feed you new bits of content, a bit at a time.

this just shows me that Sony are the only company who could be arsed to actually make relatively realistic avatars.

This made me LOL. Thanks, Dandy.

I guess anime only exists because the studios couldn't be arsed to go live action, yeah?

When it came to making my avatar, I did'nt make something that looked exactly like me for 3 reasons.

1. Even though i'm a little on the, ahem, portly side I could'nt bring myself to whack that slider too much to the right & just gave it a nudge in that direction.

2. I gave myself the hairstyle I wish I did have if I could be bothered taking up most of my mornings with combs & Gel.

3. I have a stubble beard & moustache for which there's no option for in Home. (But there are for Mii's)

In fact, probably the only true thing about my avatar is the fact I wear glasses.

This made me LOL. Thanks, Dandy.

I guess anime only exists because the studios couldn't be arsed to go live action, yeah?

Give over. I've already said mii's fit the wii. Microsoft decided they were better just ripping off nintendo, which is at odds with their main market. if you are going to give me analogies, try something that actually fits the context. Rather then picking something on my interests list to make irrelevant comparisons too

In all seriousness - who is Home supposed to appeal to?

We as hardcore (sic) gamers don't like it.

The casuals won't go near it - they don't have a PS3, they are busy playing Carnival Games on their Wii, and loving it.

The teen/semi-casual market are busy playing FIFA, COD, Gears, etc. on their 360

Really out of the PS3 owning demographic - who is going to spend money/time in this?

Honestly I'm baffled

The casuals won't go near it - they don't have a PS3, they are busy playing Carnival Games on their Wii, and loving it.

The teen/semi-casual market are busy playing FIFA, COD, Gears, etc. on their 360

Really out of the PS3 owning demographic - who is going to spend money/time in this?

Honestly I'm baffled

The answer is d)a mixture of the above

Give over. I've already said mii's fit the wii. Microsoft decided they were better just ripping off nintendo, which is at odds with their main market. if you are going to give me analogies, try something that actually fits the context. Rather then picking something on my interests list to make irrelevant comparisons too

Facetious it may have been, but not particularly irrelevant given the ridiculous, somewhat contradictory nature of your previous post. If you want to believe that Sony are doing you a big favour by being 'bothered' to make realistic avatars for Home then go ahead, but you're only kidding yourself. Personally I'd think just as much effort went into the creation of the Avatars (relevant to market or not) so I doubt it's the case that Microsoft considered making something like those of Home and just couldn't be arsed.

Honestly I'm baffled

I think the obvious answer here would be Dandy Sephy.

I'm a very casual user of the online side on things on PS3, but the network seem terrible. I've not managed to log into this home thing at all, and for the last few weeks when playing LBP I get logged out all the time. It just seems very amaturish for Sony to be having these problems so regularly. I can't think of anything else I use online that drops out so much.

Honestly I'm baffled

Fair questions, and as something of an RLLMUK outsider (infrequent postage due to eight lagged years of accessing the net via Dreamcast dial-up), I'd like to weigh in with some atypical answers.

I'm an avowed hardcore, but also something of a technophobe: when SEGA made inroads for its net-friendly merchant back in the day, I thought all my Christmases had come at once. Forgoing the hassles of PC literacy and upgrades, I stumbled and bumbled for a good few years, and then came the prospect of broadband. No longer on the technological backfoot as it were, Sony's shiny new bauble has made life considerably 'easier' for a gamer going nowhere (with no real sense of direction).

Since I'd missed the whole call-to-arms inspired by the original Xbox Live, it hasn't really registered that I need to move beyond these four walls and engage the likes of a 'broader' community... because gaming is big enough to support all castes and underdogs. As an atypical example, I'm the kind of "user" who feels heartened by the sterility of Home; it fits my projections of where an outsider could fit in. Since there's no competitive impetus (well, outside of designing a better-looking corpse), there's no real pressure to perform...

You can just sit on a virtual toadstool and discuss the 'nothingness' of virtual life. Answers. Sorted.