IGNORED

Edge 174

bobin

God of War?

The original got an 8, not a 9.

As for the sequel they think it drags a bit and is overlong in the final third, the formula doesnt quite hold up for the sequel.

There are a few other problems they mention but in general they seem to think its very good.

I'm not quite sure why people have a hard time understanding that a 6 in Edge is a good score and a 7 is a very good score.

I couldn't really care what they give it, hence the :lol: after my comments. You know, for the hard of ironing.

The one the did on R-Type and Irem was cringeworthy too... So far up their own arses, they've turned inside out.

I never agree with this description of Edge as "up its own arse". I assume that people use it to refer to the over-elaborate writing style (at its best, Edge is actually more concise than other mags), because in terms of the subjects it covers, the magazine is usually very outward-looking compared to other print publications. It gives space to aspects of gaming which other magazines never cover seriously, such as the recent features on mingames and online FAQs. There are bits I skip in each issue, but for the most part I still love it.

Also, this issue has a nice cover.

Cos it's bollocks. Edges score correllate with everyone elses. 7=okay 8+=buy.

I don't agree, most Edge 7s in genres that I like are definite buys for me and a lot of their 6s are really fun games.

Also Im not sure where abouts you are looking, but I'd dispute that an 8 anywhere else is an automatic buy.

I don't agree, most Edge 7s in genres that I like are definite buys for me and a lot of their 6s are really fun games.

Also Im not sure where abouts you are looking, but I'd dispute that an 8 anywhere else is an automatic buy.

I meant it's a recommendation to buy. I don't believe Edges scores are scaled differently than any other mag.

Also note the £3 off voucher for the last volume of File.

Just spied that, what a waste of time, bastards.

File 3 was out, and i picked it up, a couple of weeks ago, whats the point of having e £3 voucher off for the issue thats been out the shops for a few weeks already.

Dont answer that, i know its to get more people to buy it.

Would have been better if it was for any copy of the file book/mag so it can be used by those folk that already have issue 3.

Is the file not selling that great that they are offering this ?

I meant it's a recommendation to buy. I don't believe Edges scores are scaled differently than any other mag.

Well I've definitely seen them give 8s to games that got 9s elsewhere, generally speaking I think you can add 1 to the score of any title to give it a score it would get in another magazine.

I'm not sure if its a fact or not, but they definitely do seem to mark lower than any other magazine I've ever seen...I mean unless its something like Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, which got unfairly treated elsewhere because of its difficulty.

Well I've definitely seen them give 8s to games that got 9s elsewhere, generally speaking I think you can add 1 to the score of any title to give it a score it would get in another magazine.

I'm not sure if its a fact or not, but they definitely do seem to mark lower than any other magazine I've ever seen...I mean unless its something like Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, which got unfairly treated elsewhere because of its difficulty.

That's because their marking system uses a "5" as the average (i.e. half of 10) and not "7" like most other mags...rightly or wrongly... :P

I thought everyone knew this, or did they stop printing it at the start of the review section?

What??? You're claiming a game got a different score in different mags? Never!

Cobblers

Edge seem to score games in a harsher way than any other magazine, you disagree with that?

EDIT - Oh yeah and don't be stupid, thats not what I was suggesting with my comment and you know it.

They've got hard Sony cock at their back door for sure.

What - because they seem genuinely excited about a genuinely exciting looking game? But if they didn’t then all the cynics would say “Edge, they don’t enjoy games. They have no joy..”

Yeah. I particularly disagree with the 5=average mantra.

Well unless you want to do an analysis of their scores to prove your point, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about it.

Oh yeah and I've seen people get confused over what is actually meant by 'average' when used in this context. What is actually being talked about is a game of average quality.

Edge is painfully pro-Sony at the moment, unless i'm delusionally rambling like a rabid MS fanboy. I guess they need to secure those cosy launch chats with uncle Phil.

People will read into things what they want. Edge is a videogames magazine. It is pro-videogames. Of course they are giving PS3 coverage. It's just about to launch in Europe and it's the follow up to the biggest console in history. Of course they give LittleBigPlanet the cover cos it's the brightest thing in gaming in ages.