Edge 174

bobin

If they ignore the massive PS3 skepticism then they're not accurately reporting though are they? But this is an endless discussion so let's leave it. I think they're just sensibly making sure they don't anger Sony, which makes good business sense but boring reading.

As for lack of enthusiasm, people have got plenty for the Wii, just very little for a monolithic weird blu ray trojan thingy that'll cost them half a grand.

Of course they give LittleBigPlanet the cover cos it's the brightest thing in gaming in ages.

That's a pretty glib response. It looks alright, but it's no Gears, or Halo, or Zelda or anything so epic and commercial. I always think it's a pretty empty sentiment when people proclaim things as the best thing in ages. If you think that, then maybe you've been playing the wrong games. I certainly feel i played about 20 stone cold classics in the last year alone. LBP isn't saving gaming from destruction, it'll probably be a cult, niche, interesting title but it's no system seller.

That's a pretty glib response. It looks alright, but it's no Gears, or Halo, or Zelda or anything so epic and commercial. I always think it's a pretty empty sentiment when people proclaim things as the best thing in ages. If you think that, then maybe you've been playing the wrong games. I certainly feel i played about 20 stone cold classics in the last year alone. LBP isn't saving gaming from destruction, it'll probably be a cult, niche, interesting title but it's no system seller.

I bet it'll sell the system to a few people at least.

To announce that it's not commercial is just as bad, if not worse, than saying it's going to save gaming (something Im not sure I've seen anyone actually say).

Presumably when you originally saw Nintendogs or Brain Training on DS, you immediately denounced them as definitely not being system sellers and dismissed them because they weren't 'epic or commercial'.

Just because a game isn't like Gears or Zelda doesn't mean it isn't going to sell consoles.

I'm trying to be realistic from a casual gamer's point of view, they don't want quirky original games. Not based on the sales figures of all the honourable innovative titles that come out and bomb. Halo 3 is going to get in FHM and Loaded. LBP isn't.

Presumably when you originally saw Nintendogs or Brain Training on DS, you immediately denounced them as definitely not being system sellers and dismissed them because they weren't 'epic or commercial'.

No, they were massive hits through and through, Nintendo always market that stuff brilliantly. Sony? They wouldn't know how.

If they ignore the massive PS3 skepticism then they're not accurately reporting though are they?

Do we really want magazines that just tell us what we already know?

Perhaps our collective sony hatred (and that's what it seems like at times) is groundless, and, for example, the set of PS2 gamers sitting on my shelf will actually work at launch.

Failing that, there's always the issue in two months time when they report on the PS3 Pre Order Frenzy.

I like to read a mix of news and opinion. Edge should look at both sides of the coin, give us the PR take on it and then the actual on the street account of events. Fact is, no-one's pre-ordering this console. People are actively cancelling it. Mainstream media coverage is cynical and damning. Who'd of imagined that of the PS3 a few years ago?

No, they were massive hits through and through, Nintendo always market that stuff brilliantly. Sony? They wouldn't know how.

They marketed SotC really well, compared to the total non event that was the original Ico release.

I think its an utter joke that they can be genuinely excited about an upcoming PS3 game, and they apparently have 'hard Sony cock' in their back.

Things Edge has not reported on:

1) PAL Virtual Console problems

2) Cracked DS Lite hinges

3) Xbox 360 noise level

And they didn't discuss pre-order levels for the Wii, or the 360! The scoundrels talked about it post-launch. OMG teh biast.

I've been wondering: according to the main feature, Little Big Planet didn't have a name at that point. However, the feature itself is called 'Little Big Idea'. Happy coincidence, drawing from rumours, or are Edge naming console titles now?

I'd imagine they had a provisional or working title that the finished title ended up being similar to.

Fact is, no-one's pre-ordering this console. People are actively cancelling it. Mainstream media coverage is cynical and damning. Who'd of imagined that of the PS3 a few years ago?

That's not a fact at all, Sony say it's the most preordered console ever, online shops are reporting they've taken and will fill 10 times the amount of preorders they took for the Wii/360.

That's not a fact at all, Sony say it's the most preordered console ever, online shops are reporting they've taken and will fill 10 times the amount of preorders they took for the Wii/360.

Quoted for naievety. Don't think so matey..my local GS has been taking orders for a year. They've got 28. They had 200 Wiiorders when they had to stop taking them. It seems to be countrywide too. Where have you been getting your inaccurate news?

Quoted for naievety. Don't think so matey..my local GS has been taking orders for a year. They've got 28. They had 200 Wiiorders when they had to stop taking them. It seems to be countrywide too. Where have you been getting your inaccurate news?

Please stop being an asshole.

Play

Play.com estimates that they've received six-times the amount of PS3 pre-orders, as opposed to Xbox 360 pre-orders, and 15 times over the Nintendo Wii.

Woolworths

Advance orders for Sony's highly anticipated PlayStation 3 console have broken all records, with high street stalwart Woolworths revealing it has been taking one order every 20 seconds during the past week.

so despite pretty much unanimous praise it's not worthy of a cover? It's obviously caught everyone's attention and it deserves to. If this was on Wii you'd no doubt change your tune.

I'm trying to be realistic from a casual gamer's point of view, they don't want quirky original games. Not based on the sales figures of all the honourable innovative titles that come out and bomb. Halo 3 is going to get in FHM and Loaded. LBP isn't.

Since when has Edge been aimed at casual gamers?

All my friends want PS3s.

Genuine question: How many people are we talking about, would they consider themselves hardcore or casual, and have they actually pre-ordered?

I'm trying to get a handle on what the man on the street thinks of PS3.

Guest Radio Flyer
Genuine question: How many people are we talking about, would they consider themselves hardcore or casual, and have they actually pre-ordered?

I'm trying to get a handle on what the man on the street thinks of PS3.

I have two friends. They both have PS2s they don't use. They haven't preordered.

I mean, I have more than two friends in total, the other friends ( about 20 ) aren't intrested in games. Some of those are merely aquaintances, and a lot of them hate me.

The two, they've both used my Wii and enjoyed themselves and despite my best Ninty sales pitch they don't want Wiis. The fuckers.

Will they buy one though, that's the question.

Heck, I want a PS3, but I can't see myself buying one anytime soon.

I tend to buy the things when there's something you just have to play and it's not going to be available anywhere else.

Could be next week, could be next year - hope it is next year at the moment - too much good stuff / no time to play.