IGNORED

The Emulator Thread

roberthazelby

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Question: what's the best PS1 emulation solution for PC? Is it still epsxe? Are there any easy setup ones?

Good timing - I was just setting up PS1 emulation on my Windows PC.

You've got two main choices:

1) Accurate and simple, but totally vanilla: Mednafen

Links and info here: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Mednafen

The big advantages are accuracy and simplicity, no messing around with plugins. It runs well and you know it's just like the real thing. This means it doesn't improve resolution or color depth or everything else that made PS1 games look shite.

It's command-line only, so you'll need a frontend - 'Mednaffe' is the one I got working easily. It's also available as a core for RetroArch if you're already into RetroArch. Be aware that Mednafen needs very particular PS1 BIOS files.

2) Plugins and faffing... but better graphics: ePSXe or PCSX-Reloaded

I tried PCSX-Reloaded, links and info here: http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PCSX-Reloaded

This is what I did for an almost-happy setup:

• Get PCSX-Reloaded
  • Video plugin: Don't go with default, get 'Pete's OpenGL2 PSX GPU Version 2.9' (in link above)
  • There's also a tweak/update for that plugin that people recommend, but I have mixed feelings about the way it looks.
  • Audio plugin: I had stuttering with the default one, but fared better with 'P.E.Op.S 1.10 beta' (in link above)
  • BIOS files needed of course - I think it'll accept many.

This is enough to get everything running well.

There's more... if you want to fix the wobbly geometry and texture glitchy thing the PS1 was known for, but that gets more complicated with more modified exe's and plugin tweaks to download.

I still use ePSXe - once you have a ton of plugins and a decent configuration for your stream/controller most things run fine. My nephew is nuts about Star Wars so I recently tried to show him Masters of Teras Kasi - maybe not the best thing around :P but ePSXe handled it fine. 

I've heard good things about "pSX" but I've had varying success with that, whereas ePSXe seems to handle nearly everything I throw at it.

The big drawback with ePSXe is that (afaik) it doesn't have the option for per game configurations. Which means you can either have all the 3D PS1 games look great,  and the 2D games and those with static pre-rendered backgrounds look shit, or vice versa. It's still the one I use though

@Vimster which PSP emulator? PPSSPP is imo amazing

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The big drawback with ePSXe is that (afaik) it doesn't have the option for per game configurations. Which means you can either have all the 3D PS1 games look great,  and the 2D games and those with static pre-rendered backgrounds look shit, or vice versa. It's still the one I use though

@Vimster which PSP emulator? PPSSPP is imo amazing

Yes PPSSPP. Works really nice on my ancient PC (570, i5), 60fps Ridge Racer 2, bit of Lumines. Interface is a bit of a dog's dinner but it works great.

Some interesting notes on PCSX2's latest update: a disc reading plugin for Linux, the early stages of PS1 support (which would be ace if it meant one less application to mess around with), separate input configurations for separate controllers (e.g. if you need different bindings for a stick or GH controller or something) and more:

http://pcsx2.net/281-q4-2016-progress-report.html

Say I wanted to replicate a networked arcade setup for something like Scud Race, complete with force-feedback, how feasible would that be?  Thinking of a long-term project where I can look to pick stuff up cheaply second hand.  Ideally, it would be nice to run the majority of linked arcade racers from the 90's.  Is that possible?  What hardware would I likely need to run what I want to?

I played around with a Thrustmaster T-150 that I bought for the ps4 , not realising it was also PC compatible as well.  I ended up spending more time on the PC Model2 emulator playing Sega Rally, Indy 500 and Daytona than I did with Ps4.  The setup took a little experimentation, I found the best way to calibrate was to turn the wheel about 135 degrees instead of all the way (the wheel rotates fully twice unlike the arcades) and also I had to invert the pedals to make pushing the pedal accelerate instead of braking.  But after a little experimenting I could play them with the same feeling as the arcade.  No idea if Model 3 emulators support the same configuration experiments but I'd guess you'd be OK.  I got one of those steering wheel stands off Amazon and it all felt great.

For 90s Sega games, a cheap FF wheel with 200 degree rotation is perfect. I got mine for £15 of a local bloke.

Supermodel allows for the same setup for Model 3 games as mentioned above, adjusting the different pedal axis for accelerate / brake etc.

PC spec wise, my MAME cab is a Q6600 with a GeForce 9600gt. Very old stuff but runs Model 2 and 3 brilliantly!

21 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Can you recommend a specific wheel?

I think my one is the Logitech Driving Force EX. Should be cheap as chips, but not particularly good for anything other than 90s arcade racers. Feedback is pretty strong though, it's really good with Scud Race!

On 08/02/2017 at 11:11, dumpster said:

Picked up this off looking thing, currently in clearance at Curry's for £90.  Seems powerful enough to do emulation pretty well.

IMG_20170207_230410-1040x780.jpg

Returned this to the store. The tablet is very very slow to use, and whilst it ran emulators pretty well, the control pad is awful and the d-pad had a fault on it.  However even if it had not had a fault, the spacing of the d-pad and shoulder buttons was crazy and you'd need very long fingers to use it comfortably. A shame, because with a redesigned controller (something that is smaller like the Nintendo Switch, not like this massive contraption) it would be an amazing little machine. It ran everything up to and including N64, but windows itself was so slow, and with all the updates etc you expect from a desktop PC it was unusable as a tablet.

On 11/02/2017 at 13:30, dumpster said:

Returned this to the store. The tablet is very very slow to use, and whilst it ran emulators pretty well, the control pad is awful and the d-pad had a fault on it.  However even if it had not had a fault, the spacing of the d-pad and shoulder buttons was crazy and you'd need very long fingers to use it comfortably. A shame, because with a redesigned controller (something that is smaller like the Nintendo Switch, not like this massive contraption) it would be an amazing little machine. It ran everything up to and including N64, but windows itself was so slow, and with all the updates etc you expect from a desktop PC it was unusable as a tablet.

Might want to look into the GPD XD if you havent already, seems to do everything upto Dreamcast emulation pretty good. And you can get it for around £100. And looks like a 3DS.

I've never seen one in person but on paper it looks good

What's the consensus with nice looking emulator front ends? Currently I'm using RetroArch and my aim is to do as minimum as possible to get all my games working and looking great (I.e. Metadata, scrapers etc).

A few tutorials I watched recommended Emulation Station but then I came across Launchbox and that looks beautiful, tempted to drop £20 on the premium version. I know there is Hyperspin too, is that a bit more involved?

6 hours ago, klargon said:

Is there a way to change the game settings/bios for triforce games in Nintendont?

Edit - found it!

Does it allow FZero AX and Mario Kart Arcade to run succesfully? It's on the settings page right, 2nd last or something? After the update

I can only speak for the Wii, but it seems to run them without issue and without requiring any config. There is a config option to turn on Credit mode, as the games are set to free play by default, but this causes problems for Virtua Striker 4. I couldn't find any reference to accessing the bios with googling, but it seems to be a case of just holding Z (GC pad) during bootup.

On 2/18/2017 at 17:40, klargon said:

I can only speak for the Wii, but it seems to run them without issue and without requiring any config. There is a config option to turn on Credit mode, as the games are set to free play by default, but this causes problems for Virtua Striker 4. I couldn't find any reference to accessing the bios with googling, but it seems to be a case of just holding Z (GC pad) during bootup.

Awesome, I tried running FZero and Mario Kart GP on the Wii via Nintendont a few months ago to no success, I think FZero did boot up but was asking to set things to do with the ARcade unit that I couldnt pass..

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Which is?

(not disagreeing just curious)

Off the top of my head:

A 'read this first' type thread for new users (e.g the 'say hello here' thread in Discussion)

A rarely/never updated thread that needs to remain easy to find because it's important (forum rules and guides).

There are probably other reasons to pin threads, but in general any normal thread that gets regular contributions (or not) should take its place in the thread hierarchy otherwise its violating the natural order of things.

• 2 months later...

Never thought I'd see the day this running on my PC:

mDuc.jpg

10-30fps on my 4690K @4.6Ghz (spends more time closer to 10fps!!) and is still unplayable...but from small acorns and all that.

I was hoping that the JSRF ISO I had stashed on my PC's down the years would pay off eventually:P but it was more hope than expectation I can tell you.

Although if anyone else wants to try it, you'll need the stand alone NTSC release and you'll have to extract the ISO contents to run it off the 'Default.xbe'.