IGNORED

The Emulator Thread

roberthazelby

I had another look at Dolphin recently and I'm kind of surprised at how easy it is to set up - there's very little faffing with plugins or hunting for BIOS things, the games look great and the framerate is fine even on this fairly old desktop. Admittedly, I've only checked out Galaxy and Tatsunoko for a few minutes, but now I'm curious about how many other titles run this well...

• 1 month later...

I've been wondering about arcade emulation a good bit lately, mostly because there's a whole load of side-scrolling beat 'em ups I want to revisit (Aliens Vs Predator, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, TMNT, Simpsons, Vendetta, X-Men, Punisher, Golden Axe series etc.). I'm not a big fan of playing stuff on my PC, though this might be the best option, since I'm fairly sure I'll be able to use my 360 arcade stick.

Am I right in thinking that MAME doesn't work very well on Wii?

I have a modded Xbox (a Yod@Box, in fact) is that a good option? If so, where do I start?

Or should I just go with MAME on PC?

I imagine someone is about to suggest buying a Pi, but I don't really want to spend any money on this, if I can avoid it. Plus, I was planning on playing on my aging CRT, if possible...

Original Xbox is pretty good for most 2D stuff, I use it all the time. Mind you, the ROM set I had was patchy, half the games wouldn't load. I did find a set that does work though, works well actually. Not sure if all the games you mention are in it.

• 8 months later...

Aye I was going to revive this thread on that...

I haven't managed to get the Switch one working just yet but I've been testing the PS3 and Wii U emulators - both are excellent. LaunchBox is great too, such a fantastic program that I'm moving away from RetroArch as what you gain in convenience, you lose in feature set. 

Guys, guys...

I think I've finally learned to use Retroarch! I think I finally don't hate it! I think I'm using it without wanting to tear my hair out! I finally found the good shaders. I think it can be the daily driver now for NES/SNES/MS/MD/GB at least. Combined with LaunchBox as a browser and launcher for the games.

Then I tried to get the PPSSPP core working, and it brought back all my hatred and loathing, but never mind.

I've had a lot of experience with a lot of different emulators and setups...

I find that what you gain from convenience in RetroArch, you lose in everything else. It's clunky, unintuitive, requires far more manual set up than other tools and major updates are far too infrequent.

My current set up uses Launchbox as a front end, manually linked to the latest version of each emulator (PPSSPP, PCSX2, Cemu etc). It takes advantage of the neat integration of assets, roms and emulation tools as well as the scraping capabilities. When you drag new ROMs to a folder, it takes three clicks to detect them and another three to import than (assuming they are named correctly) to grab metadata. I'm not aware of anything better?

I've meant to grab a recording of my setup for a while, when I do, I'll post it here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm biting the bullet and having a clear out as I simply don't have enough space to keep collecting things. With this in mind from everyones experience what is the current state of play on emulators for:-

NES (a few carts)

SNES (a few carts)

N64 (10 carts)

GameCube (A few games)

Wii ( A few games)

Saturn (quite a few on this)

PlayStation 1 (a few games)

PlayStation 2 (I have lots of games on this)

Possibly Dreamcast games too - still have a few kicking around.

Have a fairly decent PC (Ryzen 5, 16GB memory, GTX970 video card) so the idea is to run the emus on there.

Not really 100% happy at having to clear things out but most of it is sitting there getting dusty and decided to just focus on the PS4/Xbox One /Switch as the main consoles these days.

Think the main one is PS2 and perhaps some of the Nintendo consoles  - although Nintendo will probably release lots of their back catalogue to the Switch anyway. Sigh. 

On 30/07/2018 at 16:20, MattyP said:

So I'm biting the bullet and having a clear out as I simply don't have enough space to keep collecting things. With this in mind from everyones experience what is the current state of play on emulators for:-

NES (a few carts)

SNES (a few carts)

N64 (10 carts)

GameCube (A few games)

Wii ( A few games)

Saturn (quite a few on this)

PlayStation 1 (a few games)

PlayStation 2 (I have lots of games on this)

Possibly Dreamcast games too - still have a few kicking around.

Have a fairly decent PC (Ryzen 5, 16GB memory, GTX970 video card) so the idea is to run the emus on there.

Not really 100% happy at having to clear things out but most of it is sitting there getting dusty and decided to just focus on the PS4/Xbox One /Switch as the main consoles these days.

Think the main one is PS2 and perhaps some of the Nintendo consoles  - although Nintendo will probably release lots of their back catalogue to the Switch anyway. Sigh. 

You advertising stuff here first or going straight to eBay? 

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

The PSTV is a lovely emulation box and can be picked up cheaply. It has replaced my Wii as the small under the telly device of choice.

Yeah I've got one, what do you find works well on it? Everything up to the 16-bit era? Beyond that?

Just now, smithstock said:

Yeah I've got one, what do you find works well on it? Everything up to the 16-bit era? Beyond that?

Retroarch is a one stop shop for anything up to the SNES era, its not great for n64 although things are improving as the latest hacks seem to have kick started the whole thing again. Also its absolutely phenomenal for PsP and Ps1 using an emu called Adrenaline. However you will lose the ability to download from the PS store, although there are options to download vita stuff as well, although legally dodgy im sure youre OK if you are downloading the games you paid for already.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

The PSTV is a lovely emulation box and can be picked up cheaply. It has replaced my Wii as the small under the telly device of choice. Plus, the PS Vita makes a phenomenal handheld device, especially with that OLED screen. 

I can't decide between an OLED Vita and a jigged Switch for my emulator needs.

Seems like the Switch will in the future have the better access to newer emulated machines - but not to PSP/PS1 - since that can be done 'natively' on a vita. just can't decide between the two. in the mean time I will focus on my wonderful modded DMG from Das.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:28, MpM said:

Never thought I'd see the day this running on my PC:

mDuc.jpg

10-30fps on my 4690K @4.6Ghz (spends more time closer to 10fps!!) and is still unplayable...but from small acorns and all that.

I was hoping that the JSRF ISO I had stashed on my PC's down the years would pay off eventually:P but it was more hope than expectation I can tell you.

Although if anyone else wants to try it, you'll need the stand alone NTSC release and you'll have to extract the ISO contents to run it off the 'Default.xbe'.

Odd how given a PC and a Xbox have x86 architecture it runs so slowly.... Wonder what voodoo MS are using when emulating Xbox games on the Xbox One....

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I can't decide between an OLED Vita and a jigged Switch for my emulator needs.

Seems like the Switch will in the future have the better access to newer emulated machines - but not to PSP/PS1 - since that can be done 'natively' on a vita. just can't decide between the two. in the mean time I will focus on my wonderful modded DMG from Das.

This video shows the potential of the Switch, and acknowledges that the Vita is already ripped to bits, while the Switch is very early days.  I don't use my Switch very much but I am keeping hold of it because a Dreamcast in the pocket is something I've wanted for ages.  I don't understand any of the tech but the video says there's no 3D programming on the Switch yet, so the Vita is the better format for the time being, but that tech spec comparison at the end makes me think the Switch could be amazing, very soon!

Just now, dumpster said:

This video shows the potential of the Switch, and acknowledges that the Vita is already ripped to bits, while the Switch is very early days.  I don't use my Switch very much but I am keeping hold of it because a Dreamcast in the pocket is something I've wanted for ages.  I don't understand any of the tech but the video says there's no 3D programming on the Switch yet, so the Vita is the better format for the time being, but that tech spec comparison at the end makes me think the Switch could be amazing, very soon!

it seems the only logical solution is get one of each, since there are already patched switches in the wild. use the vita now and keep the switch for when the homebrew matures.