IGNORED

The Emulator Thread

roberthazelby

15 hours ago, MattyP said:

Odd how given a PC and a Xbox have x86 architecture it runs so slowly.... Wonder what voodoo MS are using when emulating Xbox games on the Xbox One....

15mths after that post, JSRF now runs at a smooth 60fps, perfect (to my ears) sound and with only the odd graphical glitch present and can be played through to completion, the only real issue is that there is no option, without manually hacking the 'Default.xbe' to get the game running at resolutions above its native 640x480.

2 hours ago, MpM said:

15mths after that post, JSRF now runs at a smooth 60fps, perfect (to my ears) sound and with only the odd graphical glitch present and can be played through to completion, the only real issue is that there is no option, without manually hacking the 'Default.xbe' to get the game running at resolutions above its native 640x480.

:) Looks at timestamp of the post d'oh... awesome news and good to know... have a few Xbox games I'd like to run on the PC - PGR and PGR2.

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking at Sega Model 3 stuff on Youtube. Daytona 2 etc. just looks amazing. I haven't even dared to try the Supermodel Emulator as I'm not great with command line stuff. Has anyone tried it out and is it hard to get up and running?

I've had Scud Race running on it, but only in the most basic sense - I didn't have a look at configuring options, I just did enough to run and play the game with the standard configuration. Provided you can get a decent rom, you just download the rom and the emulator, unzip the Supermodel emulator contents to a folder like C:\Supermodel, put the Scud Race zip in the same folder (e.g. where Supermodel.exe is) without unzipping the contents, then open up a command prompt (on Windows, hit Start+R, then type cmd and hit Enter), enter cd C:\Supermodel to navigate to the Supermodel folder, and then enter supermodel scud.zip to make the emulator run the game.

I have only tried the scud.zip rom (I believe it's the Australia romset) - I know there are different roms with different names like scuda.zip and scudp.zp, but scud.zip is the one I've had success with. Obviously for other stuff like Daytona you'd have to go through those steps and replace scud.zip with whatever the filename of the Daytona rom is.

@robotattack

:o

This seems pretty amazing. Went straight in at the $5 tier, tested Border Down, Cannon Spike, Cosmic Smash and Trizeal.  All except Trizeal look perfect, with the latter having some glitching/artefacts. Tested with and without the BIOS, no difference, so could be a dodgy rip (it's the only game of the above list that I never bought!)

Frame rate seems to fluctuate, but I am running it on very high settings - gonna get an FPS counter up and do some tweaking. So far, though, so fantastic. Incredibly easy to setup. It's like they played NullDC and said, "Yeah, we're making the exact opposite of that garbage" :)

EDIT: ok, so tested this at all rezzes and polygon sort accuracies, and using FRAPS found out that framerate is linked to how it renders the game? I can't explain it in technical terms, but basically the framerate dropping causes slowdown (instead of what some gamers generously call the 'movie effect' e.g. when you see a game at 30fps) , so at 60fps it's perfect, but even miniscule drops to 59 (which it does even on lowest settings) it does judder slightly as it slows down/speeds up.

At above 5K on highest settings, I could get around 43fps and it was full-on slowdown; the game only at about 70% speed. In conclusion, aim for 60fps as essential on this emulator, but even then you'll get micro-judder. Hopefully the devs will fix that small annoyance in future :)

I only tried the stable release but it's promising. My recent nemesis with emulation has been Cool Cool Toon but it handles that unbelievably well, with no glitching and little slowdown. Oh, and it picks up a wireless controller (I'm using a DualShock 4) with no questions asked. :) I also had a look at Radirgy and that plays well too.

19 hours ago, robotattack said:

This is incredible! 

Just tested the free version and they can have a few quid to see what the improved resolutions are like.  For info MSR onl work with the original DC bios.  And it's glorious :wub:

just had a quick bash on Mars Matrix - one of my faves. I have a 1050 laptop with a 4k screen. works fine @ 1080p but grinds to a halt at anything above, with or without the BIOS. of course, for a game like MM, res above 480p makes basically no diff!

1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I attempted that last night and it wasn't so easy :( -  it's pretty easy to rip from DC disk thankfully so time to increase the collection.

really? a quick search at duckduckgo lead me to some sites where i might be forgiven for thinking they were still available.... didn't try grabbing them tho

15 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

really? a quick search at duckduckgo lead me to some sites where i might be forgiven for thinking they were still available.... didn't try grabbing them tho

A lot of sites still have the databases up and running but they are no longer hosting the files.

Just now, parrapatheslapper said:

A lot of sites still have the databases up and running but they are no longer hosting the files. 

a 'friend of mine' found what he said were lots of sites with mega links and such. he said they seemed quite live. just gotta click on most of the first page of hits and work your way through them. that's, er, what he said anyway.

Google... first site listed after Emu Paradise still has ISOs available. Downloaded Hydro Thunder.

As for ReDream, I’ll play about with it. I’ve been running Demul on my Q6600 Mame cab for a couple of years without issue so I’m not sure if this is worth a fiver?

edit: to be fair, no bios requirements and ease of setting it up probably makes the fee worth while

Two other cool things in Redream: 

1) It seems to be completely unfazed by whatever format you stick stuff in: CDI complete or GDI with separate BIN files... it doesn't care and just works.

2) SELECT on your pad fast forwards (as FPS is keyed to game speed, as I said earlier) so you can skip through slow load sections :)

I've found a good repo of stuff, although Cool Cool Toon is still annoyingly elusive.  

Here's where you start getting into a murky ethical quandary. 

Some people feel, if you bought a game full price on release, you should always be able to play that exact game. That means even through emu, and/or with a rip. Re-buying Shenmue when you've already paid for the copy you want to play would then be daft, unless you wanted new bells and whistles. And by extension, re-buying a ROM from an official store like PSN is being ripped off.

Another viewpoint is that you should re-buy the original secondhand, as it supports independents and lone traders, who then help maintain the desire for original copies of games and keep them circulated in good condition, keeping the history of the hobby alive. And by extension, re-buying the ROM on - say - PSN also keeps interest high and the possibility of remasters and sequels alive.

Speaking frankly, I don't see why I should re-buy the same game, ever. Remasters, yes. Titles I've never bought before, yes. But it's technically against the law so we're all stuck in the system.