IGNORED

Best pizza ever...

pretentious_helvetica

I'll start - the Sainsbury's stuffed crust ham and pineapple pizza is insanely delicious and that's with me removing the evilness of that pineapple..! Why? Well, they've gone for the sensible route of having not tomato puree on the top but barbecue sauce. It sounds like heresy but it works - as well as the lovely stuffed crust! Strange that the other stuffed crust pizzas of Sainsbury's don't actually have the barbecue sauce, so it's gutting to have to make do with them when all the ham and pineapple pizzas inevitably run out. *sob*

The new Dominos pizza is pretty freakin' special. The Meateor - FIVE different meats and bbq sauce.

I'm definitely up for getting this soon - the BBQ sauce, you see. Aha! It's the future. Soon, no more traditional tomato sauce on pizzas. BBQ FTW!

I had a thing for the Goodfellas stone-baked pizzas too before Tesco stopped selling them, the arses.

Fuck me, what is it with you nutters and your packet/crappy takeaway cravings? In the states a few years ago I had the worst pizza ever, which was BBQ sauce based one. In a scale of one to wrong, this was off the wrong end.

Best pizza ever was one I had in Sorento. A basic traditional ham pizza with a fantastic tomato base, plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese and they had some lovely olive oil in the middle. When you ripped the slices apart the oil went in to the base and for some genius reason it didn't make it soggy, just completely mouth wateringly good.

Fuck me, what is it with you nutters and your packet/crappy takeaway cravings? In the states a few years ago I had the worst pizza ever, which was BBQ sauce based one. In a scale of one to wrong, this was off the wrong end.

California does the worst pizza I've ever had.

Suprised at the lack of love for Pizza Express though, I think they're awesome, for a chain.

Best pizza ever was one I had in Sorento. A basic traditional ham pizza with a fantastic tomato base, plenty of fresh mozzarella cheese and they had some lovely olive oil in the middle. When you ripped the slices apart the oil went in to the base and for some genius reason it didn't make it soggy, just completely mouth wateringly good.

My best-ever was in Sorrento too!

The place itself was pretty unassuming - basic wooden tables, plastic cups and one of the those metal napkin dispensers you get in motorway service station cafes. The pizza, though, was stunning.

It was a simple four seasons, with wonderfully fresh toppings and a beautiful base that was just the right balance of crispy and chewy. You could see the guy make it in the kitchen, and there was none of the flinging-the-base-up-in-the-air nonsense, just a rolling pin.

Sigh.

fresh toppings and a beautiful base that was just the right balance of crispy and chewy

All you need to make an amazing pizza. When I can get my hands on good fresh pancetta or prosciouto and olives then there I can make the best pizza ever at home in 45 minutes, with the main staple ingredients kept on call in the cupboard or fridge. Small tricks being putting some semolina flour, olive oil and sugar in the base. Dominos pure make me wanna boak man.

On the subject of Pizzas, after eating a particularly greasy slice the other day i noticed this spiel on the health benefits of pizza on the back of the packaging, it made me laugh (so much so i took a photo on my phone)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8728/10032007051qc9.jpg

anyway, the best pizza from a supermarket is the stonebaked chilli chicken ones (cant remember brand)

EDIT : that pic quality is shocking, sorry

Personally I can't stand Pizza Express, they used to be ok, but recently the pizzas have become smaller, more expensive and really bland. If I'm going to a pizza chain I'd choose ASK if I'm being cheap, or Strada if I'm willing to pay the extra 2 quid. Nicest pizza I've had was in Italy, either in Sorrento or Rome, can't remember which. Normally I like pizzas with lots of toppings, but this one was a good margarita, really nice mozzerella and ripe tomatoes and it cost about 3 euros.

Fuck me, what is it with you nutters and your packet/crappy takeaway cravings?

In my case it's to do with being abroad. When I go home the first thing I'm doing is going to a pizza shop - not a good one, you understand, ooooh nooo - a really, really shit one. A proper "after a night on the razz" one.

Personally I can't stand Pizza Express, they used to be ok, but recently the pizzas have become smaller, more expensive and really bland. If I'm going to a pizza chain I'd choose ASK if I'm being cheap, or Strada if I'm willing to pay the extra 2 quid. Nicest pizza I've had was in Italy, either in Sorrento or Rome, can't remember which. Normally I like pizzas with lots of toppings, but this one was a good margarita, really nice mozzerella and ripe tomatoes and it cost about 3 euros.

I thought they'd become bigger in the last few couple of years ago, because of increased competition from places like ASK.

There was a pub near where I used to live in Guilford that had a wood-fired pizza oven and did really good ones. It really does make a difference to the taste.

There's a great place about 10 mins walk from me called Pizza Teca. I've only had the delivery (you can eat-in), but it's pretty authentic (I favour parma ham, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes). Best thing: you can order by the METRE. The pizzas aren't round, but long. It's a great tyhing to eat while watching football or whatever – the pizza is literally the size of my coffee table.

The pizzas aren't round, but long. It's a great tyhing to eat while watching football or whatever – the pizza is literally the size of my coffee table.

That's how they did them when I was in Sardinia, €5 for a metre of pizza, mmm hmm.

There's a good one to make yourself in the River Cottage Family Cookbook.

The best I've ever had was in Poland of all places at this pizza place id Gdansk and one of the pizzas you could pick from had an extra base on top of the pizza. It was conveniently called a 'UFO'.