IGNORED

Best pizza ever...

pretentious_helvetica

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

Hi folks, could any of you recommend a good pizza stone I could buy? I don't even know where to start, honestly, but I'm keen to have a bash at making my own pizza. Thanks!

I'm considering this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Basil-Grain-Pizza-Stone-Grill/dp/B01G5L6DAI/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1477314963&sr=1-8&keywords=pizza+stones

Try the frying pan pizza method first. I've had better results than with a pizza stone.

http://pizzapilgrims.co.uk/frying-pan-pizza-recipe/

15 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

Hi folks, could any of you recommend a good pizza stone I could buy? I don't even know where to start, honestly, but I'm keen to have a bash at making my own pizza. Thanks!

I'm considering this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Basil-Grain-Pizza-Stone-Grill/dp/B01G5L6DAI/ref=sr_1_8?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1477314963&sr=1-8&keywords=pizza+stones

Get the G3 Ferrari that @The Fox linked to it's a superb piece of kit and delivers every time I use it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-16 at 08:37, BedroomBusinessman said:

As mentioned above... 

https://pizzasteel.uk/

Anyone bought one of these? Amazon UK have also started selling 'The Baking Steel' for £89, weighing up upgrading my current Le Creuset cast iron tray to one of these two.

We've got one, it works well.  Serious Eats did a good article about the whys and hows of using a steel: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

The steel & broiler method tends to overheat our oven, but that's just the oven's fault. 

2 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Well it's just that it belongs in the "guilty food pleasures" thread not the "best pizza ever" thread. 

Have you seen the first post in this thread?

On 11/03/2007 at 17:40, pretentious_helvetica said:

I'll start - the Sainsbury's stuffed crust ham and pineapple pizza is insanely delicious and that's with me removing the evilness of that pineapple..! Why? Well, they've gone for the sensible route of having not tomato puree on the top but barbecue sauce. It sounds like heresy but it works - as well as the lovely stuffed crust! Strange that the other stuffed crust pizzas of Sainsbury's don't actually have the barbecue sauce, so it's gutting to have to make do with them when all the ham and pineapple pizzas inevitably run out. *sob*

Now we've all moved on over the last 10 years and I'd never think to claim that a bbq sauce dominos takeaway would count as the best pizza ever but don't forget the thread roots man!

1 hour ago, clippa said:

I like pineapple on pizza too! How do you like that?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave earlier:

On 07/05/2017 at 07:47, The Hierophant said:

Horrific. :facepalm:

Last couple of pizzas I've made have featured artichoke and it's now one of my favourite toppings. I just buy them charred in oil from the supermarket. I have to hide them at the back of the fridge to prevent myself from eating them all.

Going to have to give the frying pan a try, my pizzas are hilariously variable.

I actually had my best pizza ever recently , on my first trip to Italy - first thing I did when I got off the train was dash into the first pizzeria I saw and my god it was amazing. I went for a Quatro Stagioni (probably not spelled right) because I wanted to try one of my all time favourites first and see how the real deal stacked up against the imitations I've grown up on. It was perfect. I have had brilliant pizzas in Italian pizzerias outside of Italy, of course. This ranked up there with the best of them but knowing I was eating it in the authentic home of the most delicious food ever invented added something to the experience. 

2 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Someone at work just mentioned that they'd had Bolognese Sauce (i.e. a Ragu) as a pizza topping.

At first I was all "Eh!?" but thinking about it some more I'm inclining towards "Hmmmm...."

I had a bolognaise sauce pizza at Sloppy Joe's in Colchester when I was a kid, and it was one of my most memorable juvenile gastronomic experiences. I thought it was like God himself had shown me a secret beyond the ken of normal folks. It was one of those meals where even 30 years hence, occasionally I catch a smell or a memory of a smell from somewhere and I am immediately thinking about it again.

Have tried it again several times including the Tesco Finest "Beef Ragu" one they started doing recently and it's never lived up to it (although it wasn't bad). 

I think the concept is fairly sound if you think of pizza as being tomato sauce (check), cheese (well, you'd have parmesan on a Bolognese I guess, so mozarella not a big stretch), and some sort of meat (check). A Ragu as a thin pizza topping sauce and then other stuff on top could be even better.

Just now, Davros sock drawer said:

I think the concept is fairly sound if you think of pizza as being tomato sauce (check), cheese (well, you'd have parmesan on a Bolognese I guess, so mozarella not a big stretch), and some sort of meat (check). A Ragu as a thin pizza topping sauce and then other stuff on top could be even better.

Yeah that is how I had it in my amazing juvenile gastronomic experience - ragu replacing the tomato sauce, basically. 

The varieties I have seen since seem to be ragu as a topping, on top of a cheese and tomato base.