Wii Virtual Console

Harmunt

SNES Mario Kart was released on the Virtual Console in America this week.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5961

Which hopefully means we'll get it sometime soon.

I bought this. I'm a bit disappointed really. The emulation sound lacks the punch of the original (any fans of SNES MK will know what I mean) and the game occasionally stutters a bit. Is there a reason it's been so long to come to the virtual console? Did SNES MK have extra chips in the cartridge or something? I never thought any other VC SNES games were any different to the originals.

SNES Mario Kart had a special DSP chip in it for some reason. We can only hope that nintendo get around to emulating the SuperFX chip properly; a SNES without Starfox & Yoshi's Island is like a neglected child. :(

Actually, I've played Starfox on a PC emulator so it can't be terribly difficult... can it?

Cheers for that, never realised MK had a DSP chip, when I think of SNES DSP for some reason I can only think of Stunt Race FX! Yes, roll on Yoshi's Island.

• 1 month later...

Some WiiWare games are only 500 points - Tomena Sanner, "Aha! I Got It!" Escape Game, Magnetis, Equilibrio, Pop Them Drop Them SameGame, Niki - Rock 'n' Ball and probably more (why the frig doesn't WiiWare World show points on its sortable summary table?)

NES games.

I remember looking forward to Thursday nights for the latest updates. What's been happening on the VC front in the last year or so?

The VC has gone to shit - of late, Europe has only been getting one VC game every three weeks. I'd hoped they were going to make a big thing of the Virtual Console Arcade, but there's been sod all worth getting since Shinobi in October. A half-decent port of MAME has been made in the meantime, so it's their loss.

Some WiiWare games are only 500 points - Tomena Sanner comes to mind.

The VC has gone to shit - of late, Europe has only been getting one VC game every three weeks. I'd hoped they were going to make a big thing of the Virtual Console Arcade, but there's been sod all worth getting since Shinobi in October. A half-decent port of MAME has been made in the meantime, so it's their loss.

I don't know if they're really just running out of stuff to release. I'm sure they're thinking that there's enough on there for the majority of Wii owners (there's probably a lot out there who haven't even touched the VC games yet).

I think it could do with a bit of a revamp, mind you. I always thought the VC games could have had a lot more added to them, like promo adverts, playthroughs, guides etc.

I think it could do with a bit of a revamp, mind you. I always thought the VC games could have had a lot more added to them, like promo adverts, playthroughs, guides etc.

I'd just like to be able to list them all, on screen in alphabetical order with perhaps the cost and the system they were on.

Well I play the usual Ninty games regularly on it (MK,WSR, etc and still playing through loads of others and have around 30 games for it) but a big appeal of it had been the fact via the VC Id be able to play all my old roms in the living room conveniently instead of being confined to my PC, its just incredibly irritating to find that this isnt the case unless I resort to other means

I've only purchased 2 vc games and I'm uneasy about buying anymore until Nintendo's position is made more clear as to the future of purchased content. With content being tied to a machine and the hassle of getting it transferred to another does not bode well. Imagine people that have paid £100's of content but then be told it will not transfer to the next Wii? Or say my Wii gets stolen or lost in the post when sending to Nintendo am I stuffed as far as getting my content back. I also forsee updates being made to current vc titles and having to purchase them again to take advantage of new features as I feel that they are grossing overpriced for what they are.

• 1 month later...

Having downloaded Iron Clad this is the second game (after Final Fight 3) in just a few weeks for which I feel badly let down by the Virtual Console Reviews site. Its a very mediocre shooter in my book and like a crappier prequel to the excellent capcom shooter Progear.

I've only purchased 2 vc games and I'm uneasy about buying anymore until Nintendo's position is made more clear as to the future of purchased content. With content being tied to a machine and the hassle of getting it transferred to another does not bode well. Imagine people that have paid £100's of content but then be told it will not transfer to the next Wii? Or say my Wii gets stolen or lost in the post when sending to Nintendo am I stuffed as far as getting my content back. I also forsee updates being made to current vc titles and having to purchase them again to take advantage of new features as I feel that they are grossing overpriced for what they are.

Yeah, I've pretty much stopped buying VC games for just those reasons. I was spending a fair chunk on it until I thought, what the hell happens to this content if this Wii breaks/is stolen/upgraded.

Knowing Nintendo, they'll just send you a big FU, and you'll get to re-purchase them all for a marginally less extortionate price.

EDIT: Having said that, is Moonwalker or Atomic Runner out yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought both Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dream Land 3, upon never playing them before. Here's my impressions.

Kirby's Dream Land 3 is a fun little game, I managed to beat it in a week (Not 100%ing mind you, I only beat the last boss but need all the Heart Stars) and it was moderately fun, but it ain't no Super Star. Everything is extremely simple in comparison, if you're without an animal partner you really have no chance, to be honest. Your methods of attack are extremely simplified and aren't even really all that fun, and Kirby is quite slow without a partner as well. They're fun to play with for the most part, though, and can lead to some pretty silly looking attacks, turning Kirby into a broom, a fireball, etc. The level design ranges from pretty fun to extremely boring and barren. Some sections of levels you can easily hold right until you get to a door, and you've just completed an entire area of a level. On the other hand, the music and graphics are absolutely spectacular, which is obviously where most of the money was spent on this game. The visual design looks pretty much like a child's coloring book, and the music is pretty much just an extended Super Star soundtrack, I love it. I haven't beaten it 100% yet, but I'd give it about a 6/10 or a 7/10 on SNES standards. It was fun, but way too simple and the level design could get pretty boring.

I've been playing Super Mario RPG now as well, and I'm loving every minute of it. The graphics are a joy to look at, with lots of colors on screen at once and character models (I'm pretty sure they're CGI rendered models) full of, well, character, that most games during that era lacked. The music is fucking brilliant as well, absolutely fantastic soundtrack. The script is extremely well written and I've caught myself literally laughing out loud at times, it truly is something special this game so far. While obviously not as good as Paper Mario's, the battle system in this is fun and was most likely innovative at the time, with it's whole "timed hits" thing. I can definitely see why this is considered a classic.