Slitherlink (NDS)

Cyhwuhx

• 2 weeks later...

Now I'm totally addicted to this. I understand that the on-screen star message (effectively a level up) unlocks another 10 grids, but there seems to be another menu where you can use them as credits for a particular puzzle. Anyone got any idea what this is all about?

Now I'm totally addicted to this. I understand that the on-screen star message (effectively a level up) unlocks another 10 grids, but there seems to be another menu where you can use them as credits for a particular puzzle. Anyone got any idea what this is all about?

Just ignore the scary stuff. You might delete your save or something, like I once did with Sawaru: Made in Wario. :lol:

Inspired by Slitherlink I tried Sudoku Gridmaster again (an English localised version of the Hudson puzzle series) and it's actually pretty playable. Similar unlockable system to Slitherlink and I actually prefer the interface to Brain Training. Unfortunately you can't turn off the music but it isn't that bad.

Worth £10 for 400 puzzles if you can find it for that price.

Anyone have a menu translation guide?
There's an irritating tutorial which my wife found a bit baffling to get through at first, but it turns out you can skip it altogether.

Here's my full set of instructions to get you going. It's really playable for a non-Japanese speaker, so I hope nobody is put off by Joyreux's post.

First thing you get is choice of two buttons: these are the two save slots.

Choose the left one, and you get a text entry screen to enter your name. Pick your favourite Japanese characters.

Once that's entered, "OK" is the leftmost button at the bottom.

You get a dialog: choose option A

Then choose the top button to play a game.

You then get a choice of diffculty levels, the top one is the place to start.

It starts a one-time only tutorial. Skip through the first set of instructions with R.

Once the tutorial begins you can skip it entirely by pressing Start.

Once you're playing,

the buttons on the bottom screen (most of which are labelled with clear icons, not Japanese) are:

Draw Line

Draw Dotted Line

Draw Crosses

Eraser

Toggle Upper screen between overview, and useful hints that you can page through with R

Toggle Whether "Wrong" Numbers are highlighted in red

Show Options: Press B to return to game or Y to quicksave. It will automatically save when you complete a level, but this lets you resume a level part way through (or you can close the lid and make your DS hibernate).

I usually leave it on "draw line", and double click when I need a cross. You can also use the dpad.

Thanking You all.

Why oh why do we never get formal releases of all the Simple and Puzzle Series games in Europe of America....They sell well in Japan and are great little games......Gutted I am going to only be able to get The Tennis in Japanese :unsure: Same with Slitherlink :( Kakuro and Arashi No Drift Rally

Didn't know where to put this and search came up with nothing so I thought I'd give a mention to PikuPiku: Toku to E Ninaru 3-tsu no Puzzle, another great Japanese DS puzzle game.

This one contains 3 different games based on puzzles from this site. Namely the ones on there called Maze-a-Pix, Link-a-Pix and Fill-a-Pix. There are playable versions of all three on the site. The latter two are especially good and a little tricky. The DS implementation is well done and Slitherlink fans should give them a go.

EDIT: Seems not all the puzzles are playable online, sorry. You get the idea though.

Puzzled at the fact nobody has mentioned WonderSwan Slitherlink, that came out eons ago. Anyway, I'm making up for that right now. If you've got a Wonderswan (B&W/color/crystal) you can pick it up for a few quid on eBay.

Works wonderfully well on the DS, though.

Just follow the "rules", if you get in a tangle erase and start again.

If you're really stuck on Easy 5, you're either missing out a fundamental rule of how to solve a Slitherlink, or the game is not for you.

I'm sixty-something puzzles into the 10x10s - I've been four starring quite a lot of them, but two zeroes and lots of possible combinations for the rest? That's a recipe for crying on the bus.