Slitherlink (NDS)

Cyhwuhx

Just arrived this morning. Played the first 6 puzzles before having to come to work. Stupid work. Can't wait to get back to it. Lovely little game. Doing these early 6x6s in 1-2 minutes, and looking forward to the inevitable ramp up in challenge.

This and puzzle quest in the same week. Bye bye life.

Is there ANY chance of a UK release? The Japanese language barrier is scaring me...

I tend to avoid Japanese games for exactly this reason, but Slitherlink is extremely easy to navigate after your first go. I followed Graham's guide when I first booted it up, and it has been plain sailing ever since. You'll be fine.

Does anyone have trouble with accuracy on this? Sometimes the lines won't go on at all, it's like the touch screen isn't registering the stylus. I don't think it's me DS as I've been playing Ouendan 2 and that's been fine. I recalibrated but that's not really helped.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I ant got time to go through 7 pages.

I've had this in my DS for about 3 months now, since revstu reviewed it i believe. it hasn't been out except for a brief sojourn on new zealand story of all things.

i'm crap, it can get a bit annoying when im too stupid to work out the solution, but it's so damn compelling.

Does anyone have trouble with accuracy on this? Sometimes the lines won't go on at all, it's like the touch screen isn't registering the stylus. I don't think it's me DS as I've been playing Ouendan 2 and that's been fine. I recalibrated but that's not really helped.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I ant got time to go through 7 pages.

Playing this with the stylus? That's crazy talk!

Surely I'm not the only person who doesn't have trouble with the stylus?

Seems like everyone on this forum has deformed hands or no coordination judging by the complaints about almost ever gaming controller ever invented!

Seems like everyone on this forum has deformed hands or no coordination judging by the complaints about almost ever gaming controller ever invented!

Works absolutely fine for me. Taking my time trying to get the initial puzzles all done in under a minute.

Works great for me...no issues whatsoever

You'll probably be all right on most games with a DS that can't quite calibrate perfectly: the couple-of-pixel precision required for Slitherlink isn't necessary for most other games.

I prefer the touchscreen controls to the d-pad myself, but I had to turn off the cursor in the options before they became acceptable: it's unnecessary and gets in the way when you're using the touchscreen.

It arrived here this morning, from that Renchi link, and I too am finding the touch screen controls a little off. It seems to miss certain touches, or expects me to touch in the wrong place. I've never had trouble with any other touch screen DS game.

I've no idea how to use button controls, and I was stuck trying to get past a tutorial for 10 minutes. Graham has written a guide to the menus? Anyone know what page it's on?

Cheers. Do I need to do anything special to get to use the dpad instead of the touch screen? None of the buttons to anything in game for me except L & R to undo or redo.

Aha, found it. On-screen button at bottom right of screen is options. 3rd option down, set to the left one rather than the right one to switch on dpad control.

What's the dotted line for? :wacko:

For lines you're not sure about.

I found it easier just to use L to undo if I'd made a mistake, although I have now realised you never need to guess.

Has anyone tried the ranking option that's listed in this menu translation that was linked earlier.

I had a quick look and it gave me a terrifying puzzle containing all 1s apart from a couple of 2s. It looks like it'll require serious thought to solve rather than spotting the 0s and 3s and working from there, so it will have to wait until later.

For lines you're not sure about.

I found it easier just to use L to undo if I'd made a mistake, although I have now realised you never need to guess.

Has anyone tried the ranking option that's listed in this menu translation that was linked earlier.

I had a quick look and it gave me a terrifying puzzle containing all 1s apart from a couple of 2s. It looks like it'll require serious thought to solve rather than spotting the 0s and 3s and working from there, so it will have to wait until later.

I completed the first one of those then managed to hit a button which reset my number of attempts and put me back to the first level. I've not tried since because the main mode seems more suited to the pace I want to play this at.

You will later believe me.

I'm on Level 96 in Normal.

I've only done up to 33 and unlocked up to 80. Don't suppose you can remember a level of 80 or below where you had to guess?

All the puzzles so far seem so well designed that I have to say I'd be surprised if guessing was ever needed.

Edit - as Graham said earlier, when you get stuck if you go back and put in all the crosses that you can, the solution often becomes obvious.

You will later believe me.

I'm on Level 96 in Normal.

I've only a few puzzles to finish on the third level of difficulty now, and I don't guess. I do use up to a dozen dotted lines in small areas to "prove" that a particular choice of line would be a mistake, and once I've done that I erase the dotted lines. I never put solid lines in that I'm not absolutely certain of.

Actually, I tell a lie: at the very end of the puzzle I sometimes guess between the two or three alternatives for joining the puzzle up in the middle. The puzzles are so sprawling now that it's hard to see at a glance which one gives you a single continuous line, and it only takes a few seconds to try the alternatives.