NiGHTS on Wii

NonShinyGoose

That sounds proper rubbish to be fair. :/

It is. Totally charmless, and starring the cast of Team America. Seriously - everyone looks like the dummies from Team America, and Nights is a cunt with a voice.

The levels are still fun, but it takes bloody ages to actually get into them, so abundant are the cut scenes.

But the thing is, I don't see why people get so panicky about things such as, 'there are loads of things to do', or 'NiGHTS has a strange posh accent'... that's a ridiculous thing to complain about! The bottom line is, if there were no advances or changes over the original, half the people would moan about a lack of progress, but when Sega decide to have a go at building on and improving the original, the other half soil themselves over the sacreligious defacing of an untouchable classic... they simply can't please anyone

You say advances, but to me it just sounds like your typical Let's completely misunderstand our property! that Sega seem to do every time they resurrect some classic. I really don't think adding shit story that intrudes on a game rather than enhancing it is much of an advance, or a change for that matter. It's just arseballs and immediately turns me off of a game.

It is. Totally charmless, and starring the cast of Team America. Seriously - everyone looks like the dummies from Team America, and Nights is a cunt with a voice.

The levels are still fun, but it takes bloody ages to actually get into them, so abundant are the cut scenes.

This is exactly what I was dreading. Ugh. Even if the game beneath the layers of shit is still fun, the overall presentation is rather important to me and if I have to endure lots of completely braindead 'story' then I really can't be arsed.

How many reasons do you need? How about this one (repeated from earlier in the thread, sorry): in this month's Retro Gamer (NiGHTS / Christmas cover) they advise all fans of the original to relax and simply look forward to the Wii version, as they've played it all the way through and are even suggesting it just might be better than the original.

But the thing is, I don't see why people get so panicky about things such as, 'there are loads of things to do', or 'NiGHTS has a strange posh accent'... that's a ridiculous thing to complain about! The bottom line is, if there were no advances or changes over the original, half the people would moan about a lack of progress, but when Sega decide to have a go at building on and improving the original, the other half soil themselves over the sacreligious defacing of an untouchable classic... they simply can't please anyone, except perhaps those (like me) who don't expect Mario Galaxy style perfection with every new release and are just grateful to be getting the chance to play a brand new NiGHTS game after all these years of waiting and praying. The fact that by all accounts it's shaping up to be at least half decent is the icing on the cake.

Anyway, I'm glad I stumbled into this thread again as it made me realise I'd not pre-ordered the game yet. But I've just seen to that (£29.00 delivered from virginmegastores.co.uk). Roll on January!!

:P

I heartily agree!

I have to agree with jerellis 1. I think if we just got exactly the same thing as the Saturn version just slightly better graphics I'd be pissed to have to pay £30. For those people who want an exact replica of NiGHTS: Into Dreams there's always the PS2 remake in Japan :P

I'm looking forward to it and like it was stated before the fact that it isnt a complete travesty is a very good sign. There was no way this game was going to get released without some people complaining. :o

Can Sega please stop trying to do stories, voice acting or general presentation of any kind? Thanks.

Man, that just made me remember how, despite their often-times good visuals, how Saturn games had the presentation (menus, fonts etc.) with a distinctively "Megadrive" flavour.

How many reasons do you need? How about this one (repeated from earlier in the thread, sorry): in this month's Retro Gamer (NiGHTS / Christmas cover) they advise all fans of the original to relax and simply look forward to the Wii version, as they've played it all the way through and are even suggesting it just might be better than the original.

But the thing is, I don't see why people get so panicky about things such as, 'there are loads of things to do', or 'NiGHTS has a strange posh accent'... that's a ridiculous thing to complain about! The bottom line is, if there were no advances or changes over the original, half the people would moan about a lack of progress, but when Sega decide to have a go at building on and improving the original, the other half soil themselves over the sacreligious defacing of an untouchable classic... they simply can't please anyone, except perhaps those (like me) who don't expect Mario Galaxy style perfection with every new release and are just grateful to be getting the chance to play a brand new NiGHTS game after all these years of waiting and praying. The fact that by all accounts it's shaping up to be at least half decent is the icing on the cake.

Anyway, I'm glad I stumbled into this thread again as it made me realise I'd not pre-ordered the game yet. But I've just seen to that (£29.00 delivered from virginmegastores.co.uk). Roll on January!!

:(

i completely agree.

i for one cannot wait to play a brand new NiGHTS. its NiGHTS for god sake!!!

:(

I do, but I'm not technical or nuffink. The way I see it, if they can do N64 games on the VC, they can do Saturn games. Fingers crossed, anyway, although with NiGHTS about to be released for the Wii then they've missed a trick not getting the Virtual Saturn up and running by now.

Isn't the Saturn notoriously difficult to emulate? Something to do withe dual processors...

Oh lord, the presentation is appalling. It's a real struggle to get to the actual 'game'. As much of a NiGHTS fanboy as I am, this is going to be tough to wade through.

Yep I had to turn it off. The sequel to the game we love is in there somewhere but it's buried under ten levels of fluff and a paedo owl. Really annoying as I had such high hopes and the intro got me tingly. NiGHTS doesn't need a hub world or voice acting damn it!

It sounds like they've 'soniced' it up a notch. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it out later today.

If its anything like the Sonic Adventure games, the first playthrough will be mediocre, but there'll be certain bits it'll be great to return to for time/score attacking. (Redsquirrel said scores are in there, anyway...)

Yeah I was showing a friend the girls level (forgot her name). It takes so bloody long to get into a actual level though – at least 10 minutes or so. There is way too much talking with nights, the kid and the owl. WHO CARES JUST LET ME PLAY ALREADY!!

Anyway with her game I did the first part of the chapter, chasing the birds before a boss battle. I wasn’t sure what I was doing but I killed him. This unlocked another level which I found impossible to do, it may have just been me but the control seemed weird on that level.

Basically there appears to be a decent game “underneath” but there is way too much crap inbetween. If there was a cheat to just play the main levels, then it would be better! (kinda how the Saturn version was set out anyway)

Yeah I was showing a friend the girls level (forgot her name). It takes so bloody long to get into a actual level though – at least 10 minutes or so. There is way too much talking with nights, the kid and the owl. WHO CARES JUST LET ME PLAY ALREADY!!

Anyway with her game I did the first part of the chapter, chasing the birds before a boss battle. I wasn’t sure what I was doing but I killed him. This unlocked another level which I found impossible to do, it may have just been me but the control seemed weird on that level.

Basically there appears to be a decent game “underneath” but there is way too much crap inbetween. If there was a cheat to just play the main levels, then it would be better! (kinda how the Saturn version was set out anyway)

Why on earth would they do this?