IGNORED

M.Night Shyamalan's The Happening

Goose

I absolutely love this film. I might increase my rating to a 9/10. I don't think I'll ever understand why so many people on here hated it.

That lion scene in the youtube vid was friggin awesome. The way the arm comes off is camp, whereas the rest of the film is pretty serious in it's deaths, so that's probably why it was removed. But still, it's a massively entertaining scene from a massively entertaining - and well made - film. What is wrong with you people?!

While I don't agree that it's a good film, it's certainly entertaining. But only because it's so hilariously bad for the most part.

It's such an odd film, because in amongst the crap there are two or three sequences which are really well done, and prove that Shyamalan still has some directing talent. Emphasis on some.

And then you get the army guy going "cheese and crackers" and you think it must be some kind of elaborate joke.

Bizarre, bizarre piece of cinema.

I didn't get the pipe bit at the end.

No, that was another weird one.

And she was fucking AWFUL.

Oh God yes. For all that people have criticised Wahlberg's performance she seems to have escaped the flak, presumably because everyone fancies her. But she's absolutely horrendous. It's as if she's been told to act like a five-year-old who can't blink.

What a fantastic, shit film.

Nicely put. It is brilliantly shit.

I watched this last night, having missed it at the cinema. I didn't read this thread, for fear of spoilers. I've enjoyed a lot of Shyamalan's other films, so I was really looking forward to this. I literally knew nothing about it the story at all.

I paid 16 quid for it on Blu-ray.

*Takes three steps backwards*

*BANG*

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this last night on DVD and holy fucking shit this has to be one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time, but you know it was so bad it was good. With most bad movies I just switch them off, but I watched this till the end. It had a Showgirl-esq quality to it's badness. The acting, dialogue and story were just terrible.

Genuine questions about this movie:

- Why did people suddendly kill themselves when whatever it was the plants released got into their system? Surely swiching off your knowledge to hurt yourself (or whatever the fuck it was) would just mean you might burn yourself when cooking, not actually commit suicide right away?

- Where does Shyamalan think air inside houses and cars comes from? Does he think that if you shut your windows nothing will come inside? The scene in the jeep was the best, they were in a Jeep with a plastic back and we are supposed to believe that one little hole would be the only way air got in?

I saw this recently and holy fuck was it ever shit. I liked how they knew it was airbourne but not one single person was walking about with so much as a damp hanky over their nose and mouth.

"Oh hey, I have this general idea for a film, it's about plants that kill people!"

'You mean like come alive and go on a rampage of death and destruction?'

"No, they just release something into the air and people kill themselves"

'Sounds... A bit shit'

"Yes, it will be."

Terrible acting, terrible story, terrible execution... The guy in the lion/tiger pen was just the icing on a very shitty cake, I loved how he just stood there as a 20stone animal just weakly tugged his arm off as if it was taped on with masking tape that had been on the floor, got hair stuck to it and had become far less sticky.

"I'm really not going to try with this film, just tape some stuff, edit it badly. People will see it as I'm the guy that did that one good film once..."

This movie is just an ending away from being a masterbate.

For all we know, they could have been dying from a massive fart that dissipitated.

There you go, theres your masterpiece ending. da dah.

I honestly don't believe chase likes this and if he REALLY does, he doesn't understand it.

No matter how bad a film is (and I've not seen this) there is ALWAYS someone who likes it...

My partner - who's a BIG fan of 'cheap and nasty' horrorsand esp. zombie films - actually liked House of the Dead (yes THAT House of the Dead) - for example...

We'll never truly know what drives people into their tastes and so-forth - but this IS a case where a once feted auteur needs a wake-up call because even if a few people loved it - it seems most people thought it was a car wreck of a thing :lol:

I watched this on Virgin Filmflex, and obviously it's now taken the place of 'Indecent Proposal' as my worst ever film blah blah.

I loved the bit in the show home though - Marky Mark waving around a fake wineglass really tickled my fancy.

HOWEVER...I understand that there is supposed to be some gore with the hilarious tiger / lawnmower bits? They just cut away before anything happened in the version I saw, which was kind of nice as it added to the hilarity.

Also, why were they so desperate for food when they were at that house where the kids get shot? I thought they'd only left Philadelphia a couple of hours earlier. Maybe they'd had no breakfast, or something.

• 2 weeks later...

This is easily my favourite Shyamalan film now. Terrible it may be but at least it is entertaining which is something his other films never manage. There must be some sort of joke here though because it is so excruciatingly bad in every department you can't help think it is deliberate.

For those people who want to see a better 'Nature Strikes Back' type film then the Australian film Long Weekend is very good.

This is easily my favourite Shyamalan film now. Terrible it may be but at least it is entertaining which is something his other films never manage. There must be some sort of joke here though because it is so excruciatingly bad in every department you can't help think it is deliberate.

For those people who want to see a better 'Nature Strikes Back' type film then the Australian film Long Weekend is very good.

I genuinely feel rather sorry for you.

I genuinely feel rather sorry for you.

I feel sorry for everyone in this thread.

I enjoy the movie because it's a good film, not because it's 'so bad its good' or anything like that. It has a great storyline, pacing, great third act with the old lady, Wahlberg is great, amazing opening sequence, amazing setpieces, great music, etc etc. It's the Rocky 4 of Shyamalan films: a bit silly, but nevertheless, utterly awesome.

Come on Chase, you can do better than that! That's not even going to generate a snort of indignation. You could at least throw something in along the lines of Cahiers du Cinéma being rumored to have awarded it Film of the Year, or something.

So you don't think the initial sequence of suicides was well done? Most critics who hated the film at least agree that it starts quite promisingly.

After the first ten minutes I thought the critics had got this film wrong. It didn't even go downhill from there though. It was just a totally vertical drop into a chasm of badness.