Rock Band!

Strawp

Is it actually worth playing through Rock Band 1 for the achievements and unique story elements and stuff? Have been playing Beatles and reviews seem to suggest that RB2 / Beatles are a big step forward so I'm wondering if I should just rip the RB1 songs and buy RB2. I'm particularly enjoying playing Bass if that makes any difference.

Is it actually worth playing through Rock Band 1 for the achievements and unique story elements and stuff? Have been playing Beatles and reviews seem to suggest that RB2 / Beatles are a big step forward so I'm wondering if I should just rip the RB1 songs and buy RB2. I'm particularly enjoying playing Bass if that makes any difference.

Unless you're really into the achievements, just rip the songs into RB2 and play that. Your RB1 songs will still show up in Mystery Setlists and Choose Your Own options. RB1 doesn't even have a Bass career.

If you've come from Beatles, though, even RB2 is going to seem a bit dated.

Unless you're really into the achievements, just rip the songs into RB2 and play that. Your RB1 songs will still show up in Mystery Setlists and Choose Your Own options. RB1 doesn't even have a Bass career.

If you've come from Beatles, though, even RB2 is going to seem a bit dated.

I don't agree the career mode in RB2 is far better than the story mode in the Beatles game.

In the Beatles game you just go through every song one by one so apart from the pretty graphics its just the same as the 1st ever Guitar Hero game.

Is it actually worth playing through Rock Band 1 for the achievements and unique story elements and stuff?

Rock Band 1 doesn't have any unique story elements. In single player, it's simple progression in traditional Guitar Hero style. In multi-player, there's a tour, but no story to go with it. The tour in Rock Band 2 is better (but again, no story). The only real reasons to fire up RB1 are achievements, and for the three unexportable songs.

To be honest, I could do without any of the story crap in these kind of games. I'm not sure what it adds at all.

I would probably agree if it has to be generic enough to suit say 50+ different bands but it absolutely made Beatles for me and would happily shell out for similar band-centric games.

To be honest, I could do without any of the story crap in these kind of games. I'm not sure what it adds at all.

I used to feel the same way but I really enjoyed the Lego Rock Band story mode.

Paul McCartney had already been announced but i see we're getting some more next week...

Hey gang,

Here's the DLC to ring in the New Year! A little live, a little punk, a little 80's... that's a lot! Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (Jan. 5) and PlayStation3 system (Jan. 7):

Paul McCartney – “Band on the Run (Live)” +

Paul McCartney – “Jet (Live)” +

Paul McCartney – “Sing the Changes (Live)” +

Blink-182 – “Adam’s Song”

Blink-182 – “First Date” +

Blink-182 – “I Miss You”

The Psychedelic Furs – “Love My Way” +

The Psychedelic Furs – “Sister Europe”

The Ramones – “Rock ‘n’ Roll High School” +

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Paul McCartney New York City Pack 01” or “Blink-182 Pack 02”, as well as individual tracks on Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 system, and as individual tracks on Wii. These tracks will be available Jan. 14 for PlayStation3 in the United Kingdom and Europe. Tracks marked with a “+” will also be available in the LEGO® Rock Band Music Store of downloadable content.

I cannot find RB2 for love nor money so I'm just going to rattle through Rock Band 1, wait until I can be bothered to order it online and then rip and sell.

I fear for when I start buying DLC. I'm not sure I could turn down Blink 182, just for the giddy thrill.

Just as an aside, what are generally considered the 'fun' drum songs in each iteration? One of the things I read was that a couple of songs were specifically included to amuse drummers and I'd like to know what to look out for. Absolutely loving the drums so far.

Fun drums In Rock Band 1 (regardless of the quality of the song):

Are You Gonna Be My Girl *spits*

Black Hole Sun

Cherub Rock

Dead on Arrival *spits*

Epic

Flirtin' with Disaster

Highway Star

Learn to Fly

Sabotage

The Hand that Feeds

Vasoline

Won't Get Fooled Again

The Time We Had

And for number 2:

Ace of Spades

Alive

American Woman

Bodhisattva

Carry on Wayward Son

Colony of Birchmen

Cool for Cats

De-luxe

Everlong

Feel the Pain

Hungry Like the Wolf

Lump

Night Lies

One Step Closer *spits*

Panic Attack

Peace Sells

Souls of Black

Spoonman

Teen Age Riot

The Trees

I hope that helps a bit. Some of them are proper hard.

Aww, my drum kit just arrived and the pedal doesn't register hits for some reason. :( I guess I'll be signing up for that replacement pedal sooner than I thought.

The good news is that my Gretsch also arrived, and it's absolutely gorgeous. They did a fantastic job with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, the RB2 track list is filled with utter, utter shit

Lit, Social Distortion, Bikini Kill, Panic at the Disco, Interpol, Cheap Trick, The Go-Gos, The Donnas, The Libyans, That Handsome Devil, Jimmy Eat World, The Guess Who, etc. etc.

Who the fuck are these insufferable cunts? and who thought their shitty music would be a good idea to include in a game?

Maybe I need to be an eleven year old American kid, I dunno.

The RB1 track list pisses all over this sorry collection of wank from a great height.

Jesus, the RB2 track list is filled with utter, utter shit

Lit, Social Distortion, Bikini Kill, Panic at the Disco, Interpol, Cheap Trick, The Go-Gos, The Donnas, The Libyans, That Handsome Devil, Jimmy Eat World, The Guess Who, etc. etc.

Who the fuck are these insufferable cunts? and who thought their shitty music would be a good idea to include in a game?

Maybe I need to be an eleven year old American kid, I dunno.

The RB1 track list pisses all over this sorry collection of wank from a great height.

Wait - so you're trying to tell me that "American Woman" isn't a good Rock Band track and you've never heard of The Guess Who? Similarly you've never heard of The Go-gos and Cheap Trick? WTF???

Wait - so you're trying to tell me that "American Woman" isn't a good Rock Band track and you've never heard of The Guess Who? Similarly you've never heard of The Go-gos and Cheap Trick? WTF???

I've heard of Cheap Trick and the Go-gos ring a bell, however their tracks are really fucking bad, the Cheap Trick one in particular.

Apologies but my rant was slightly poorly worded

I've heard of Cheap Trick and the Go-gos ring a bell, however their tracks are really fucking bad, the Cheap Trick one in particular.

Apologies but my rant was slightly poorly worded

I'd counter that that Go-Go's track is a very popular (esp with girls) when I've had Rock Band out at parties. Not everything in Rock Band has to be super hardcore IMHO. Suffice to say, I don't agree with your complaints about the RB2 tracklist, even though I'm no big fan of the more current mainstream stuff (like Panic at the Disco).

Equally I hate the Lit song, but 11 year olds were still in nappies when it came out. :)

Next week's DLC -

Alice In Chains – “Grind”

Alice In Chains – “Heaven Beside You”

Alice In Chains – “Last of My Kind”

Alice In Chains – “We Die Young”

Alice In Chains – “Your Decision”