Rock Band!

Strawp

*Calling Squigs to the thread, Squigs report for duty*.

Green Grass and High Tides on expert pro drums - 605,412. ;)

Over to you mate!

Edited!

Nicely done! Unfortunately it'll be a while before I can afford the upgrade to Pro drums, especially since I want the keyboard as well. I'm hoping my import copy arrives soon, I almost caved and bought it this afternoon but nowhere had the PS3 keyboard bundle in stock.

So, new Rock Band, old instruments. Guitar's been fun - so many great songs on this, from the classic action of Cold As Ice to songs I couldn't have named before like the INXS one (guess I still can't name it!)

The way it's all integrated with goals is great, especially to see goals in place automatically for DLC (I noticed a NIN goal, for example).

Drums, my instrument of choice, has been tweaked just enough. The ability to turn off fills and make overdrive 'Beatles-style' is a feature I didn't even realise I wanted so badly, and the forgiving 'rolls' are nice. Pro drums will happen at Christmas, although the wait could kill me.

But, now, every song I play just makes me think how great it'll be when they bring that midi-adapter out and I can use my keyboard. I've already put some coloured post-its aside to mark the keys, haha.

The only thing that's irked me about this game is that some of the instrument/costume items are only unlockable through pro guitar goals and the like. Should I really have to pay a hundred-odd quid and actually learn to play the guitar to unlock an eye patch?

The only thing that's irked me about this game is that some of the instrument/costume items are only unlockable through pro guitar goals and the like. Should I really have to pay a hundred-odd quid and actually learn to play the guitar to unlock an eye patch?

Oh come on. Why shouldn't there be rewards for playing at higher difficulties? It's the nature of the beast that you need peripherals to set the scores.

EDIT: Negged? Is that unreasonable? I didn't get too upset when it became apparent to me that I'd need to start playing instruments that I didn't have to unlock achievements in RB2. Surely the acquisition of hardware is a cost you have to bear to play the game? I think there should be rewards for those who play particularly well, even if I'll not manage it myself.

Everyone tell me that buying the keyboard is an excellent idea. Go on.

I mean, it's got a MIDI port, right? I actually need a portable MIDI keyboard, so it's actually something useful and not just another toy, I guess. :unsure:

I'm enjoying it immensely, though I haven't played these games since the first GH, so can't really compare it to playing the rock band games with any other instrument. The keyboard is well put together, the keys are responsive and it feels weighty enough. The only issue is that a fair few of the tracks in rb 3 have an anaemic or in some cases entirely absent keyboard component - which is only to be expected for a band game, but it's worth noting.

Also, it's a real challenge on pro keyboards - way way harder than similar level of standard guitar playing. Struggling to advance beyond pro easy at the moment, one key at a time across a 10 key spread of board.

Go for it.

I'm not really enjoying the keyboard at all which is really disappointing :( It feels just like pressing buttons and not giving me enough 'excitement'. Can definitely see it's appeal if you're good at it but that would involve a hell of a lot of practise time. For the unskilled, the drums or guitar seem much more instantly gratifying.

Man, Walk Of Life on pro keys is just SO good.

Is that the same on Pro Easy? Still just as fun? I'm also finding my hands hurt more playing keys with it sat on my lap, so the stand may be a good investment? Any tips for getting better other than practice? Am I ok to try to use my left hand as my lead hand, cos it is? However this means the overdrive button is on the wrong side of the keyboard.

I basically switched back to drums yesterday after repeatedly failing the chord lesson.

Is that the same on Pro Easy? Still just as fun? I'm also finding my hands hurt more playing keys with it sat on my lap, so the stand may be a good investment? Any tips for getting better other than practice? Am I ok to try to use my left hand as my lead hand, cos it is? However this means the overdrive button is on the wrong side of the keyboard.

I basically switched back to drums yesterday after repeatedly failing the chord lesson.

I'm only on medium, so yeah, I think it definitely is still a lot of fun on the lower difficulty levels. I'm not the best person to give out keyboard advice as I am a total beginner. I'd never played one before yesterday. I think sticking with just a few songs at first really helps. I'm mainly playing Walk Of Life, Rock Lobster and Whip It to ease myself in.

Oh yeah, I'm using the keyboard stand. I think it's a worthwhile investment as I found it much harder when I tried to play with the keyboard resting on my lap.

I'm new to RB. Will RB3 + RB1 guitar get me started until the stringed guitar gets released?

Yes. There's no difference in gameplay functionality between the original RB1 guitar and its successors.

Gameplay-wise, all 5-buttoned guitars available work pretty much equivalently in Rock Band (Guitar Hero guitars are missing 'solo buttons' lower in the fret which don't require strumming during solos, but it's not a significant advantage).

Tried exporting the Lego Rock Band tracks at weekend, website told me it was out of tokens so I try again this morning and now it's saying the code has been used, which it hasn't. :(

Yep, I had the same problem on Friday. I'm going to wait a bit for the launch-rush to calm, then I'll start pestering customer services if it still doesn't work.

Pretty big thread about it on the official forums so hopefully it's a known issue. Loads of people saying they contacted customer support and were asked to send in a scan of the code and proof of purchase, which I don't even have any more as I bought it way back at launch, urgh!

I'm also disappointed but not surprised. Like many have said, they've done a rubbish job of promoting the software, and the delays on the hardware have become a joke. At the same time, I think it's an incredible game even though I haven't touched Pro Mode yet. So...meh.

It deserves more recognition than what it received, definitely. It's my GOTY solely because it corrects pretty much every niggle both RB and GH suffer from (It's not quite perfect though. I hate the way your score isn't displayed when doing the challenges until the end and the track turning blue when on max multiplier makes it difficult to tell when your in a solo). It's quite depressing that this has been polished to the nth degree and it bombs at retail whereas Fable 3 is released as a buggy mess and will no doubt massively outsell it.

(I know, they're not really comparable, but the point still stands.)

EDIT: And to be quite controversial, I couls see this being the next Edge 10.

I'm sure Harmonix will be proud to have a game in the top 20* :)

*Or so. Maybe top 30.

I meant it isn't going to get close to the Top 10. See:

post-1512-020002300 1288346468_thumb.png

On the plus side...How close was I (and Game Dev Story) in terms of sales figures prediction?