MoH vanguard 5

Lost in Blue 2 5

Heatseeker 5

After Burner 6

the Red Star 6

Theme Park DS 6

Time Extend is Second Sight

The Making of ... Ghostbusters

There is a Biffovision column but it's not the Phil Harrison one.

Already read these on NTSC, and i'll repeat my comment. What a deathly dull issue and a terrible set of features..and Psi Ops was way better than Second Sight. What's next month..Time Extend on Superman: The Game?

Can Edge just do a joystick round up please and then we can call time on the whole moribund affair?

Psi Ops was way better than Second Sight.

Right and also wrong. Whislt Psi-Ops handled physics better, and was a pretty good action game, the fun drained out of the game once you got to the last third. It had a knuckle headed storyline. Okay, story isn't everything in videogames but that's because we so rarely get good ones. Second Sight's storyline was brilliant, probably one of the most seamless I've seen in a videogame. Whilst it's gameplay wasn't as immediate as Psi-Ops because it was largely a stealth game (you were playing a doctor rather than a cliched marine, so it made sense), it was still perfectly playable, far more so than people give it credit for.

I'd say its fairly accurate.

It's a really dumb thing to think. You're honestly saying the editorial team at Edge sits around each month, picks a bunch of boring games, and rather than paying some freelancer a fee to give a considered opinion on the game, they just slap a 6 on the end?

I guess you're probably figuring all this out from the list of scores, are you? Seeing as you don't actually read the reviews.

I don't care what you or some other retard thinks of Edge magazine, but it is a bit boringly disheartening to have these same idiot thoughts coming up in every single Edge scores thread on rllmukforum.

It's a really dumb thing to think. You're honestly saying the editorial team at Edge sits around each month, picks a bunch of boring games, and rather than paying some freelancer a fee to give a considered opinion on the game, they just slap a 6 on the end?

I guess you're probably figuring all this out from the list of scores, are you? Seeing as you don't actually read the reviews.

I don't care what you or some other retard thinks of Edge magazine, but it is a bit boringly disheartening to have these same idiot thoughts coming up in every single Edge scores thread on rllmukforum.

From what I've played of Karous, TRS and Afterburner they are anything but boring. But you'd probably never realise this since you don't play anything EDGE doesn't score high enough.

Maybe the same views wouldn't continually resurface if EDGE's reviews weren't so totally predictable.

I didn't say I didn't read thm, just that it's not why I buy the mag. So as someone who reads their reviews, I consider myself qualified to give an opinion on them, and I find them overly critical and 5/6 seems to be their most popular scores to give - even if everyone else has given a much higher opinion and Edge are in the minority. In addition they commonly write fairly positive reviews only to then give a couple of lame reasons to give a game a distinctly average score no matter how positive they were for 6 other paragraphs. In conclusion, it's not a dumb thing to think because it's what happens - if they mean it or not. Other mags have their own problems, the quality of reviews just happens to be Edge's achilles heel

Maybe the same views wouldn't continually resurface if EDGE's reviews weren't so totally predictable.

I concur. The complaints wouldn't exist if they didn't constantly fall into the same pitfalls.

Personally i think they hand out or commission the review games to various writers, then edit the returned copy and scores to suit the following:

1/ PR. Obviously they're looking to build bridges with Sony at the moment with that horrendous 'advertising feature' supplement..

2/ Check they don't piss off the advertisers by giving Fifa 07 3 out of 10 for being shit again....hence they don't bother reviewing those games.

3/ Make sure they come down on a big title like a tonne of bricks to make sure they push some buttons and look like a mag with integrity.

4/ Stick some small games in there with bad marks because they'll be no comeback on the 3/10 for a german PC game.

Whack a bunch of NGJ features in there, some skewed reporting on the latest news that doesnt offend (Edge thinks the PS3 launched successfully it seems), add a smattering of page filling previews offering precisely zero information to anyone with a computer. End with a letters page containing such topics as game prices, subtitling games for the deaf and why online gaming isn't actually the future. Not forgetting to not actually reply to these letters beyond 1 sentence of verbal head nodding.

Oh and of course, censor your columnists. Where were they when Gary Penn was having his in-print nervous breakdown? Where are they when Tim Guest starts telling us he had a wank on second life and that's perfectly normal thankyouverymuch?

Where are they when Minter mentions he has a 42" plasma for the 10th column in a row?

I have descended into idiotdom. I will go away now.

angel, do you still buy Edge? If so, I recommend you leave off it for a while, then come back to it. You'll probably appreciate the magazine more compared to all the dross that is out there. I'm not saying Edge is perfect, but familiarity does breed contempt, as they say.

not as bad as last months - however, a couple of things bugged me.

They review PS2 versions of games that are also available for the Wii - MoH and heatseeker. Certainly in Heatseeker, the controls make for a better game... but it doesn't get a chance.

They also dismiss motion sensing as being a 'red herring' when it comes to gaming technology innovations, saying that the wiimote has mostly been used as a pointer and the sixaxis is yet to prove itself.

They obviously must've forgotten about the the success of wiisports, we know they didn't like excitetruck and they've probably not played Godfather - and, given how recent the sixaxis is, to dismiss it at this point is ridiculous...

but then in another part of the magazine, one of their most anticipated games is LocoRoco on the PS3 - because they're looking forward to playing it with the sixaxis.

ARGH.

I give up.

I pretty much only read Edge for the reviews, which I still think are the best way of getting an opinion on a game short of reading a longish thread on here. The integrity of the reviews is the soul of the magazine. I think Ste said that once. I don't think there's anything in Angel's comments about how Edge review games. I don't think they're biased or half-assed in any way at all. I've often read a review before playing a game and thought 'Nah, that can't be right', before getting round to playing the game and seeing exactly what they meant. That's what a good review is, isn't it? It shouldn't pander to any preconceptions, it should just be an honest appraisal of how fun the game is. Of course it will challenge your expectations, because it's giving you fresh information.

Initial K is irritated that Afterburner or The Red Star got a 6, but has he played both those games through to completion? Also, he's pissed off about a number - has he read the reviews, which will no doubt flesh out what's good and bad about the games, as Edge reviews typically do?

What a poor issue, is it me or does it seem much thinner than usual with even more adverts.

Also, Biffo's column starting with a couple of paragraphs apologising for being so negative to Sony. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't completley unrelated to the rest of his column and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Also, Biffo's column starting with a couple of paragraphs apologising for being so negative to Sony. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't completley unrelated to the rest of his column and stuck out like a sore thumb.

It certainly seems to undermine Biffo's claim that this is simply next month's column brought forward after the Marillion one was spiked. It seems more like a hastily-produced replacement complete with forelock-tugging apology.

It certainly seems to undermine Biffo's claim that this is simply next month's column brought forward after the Marillion one was spiked. It seems more like a hastily-produced replacement complete with forelock-tugging apology.

Nah, Biffo did say that the reaction to his originally intended piece by the fanboy elite was rather amusing, considering what he had written for the month after - which now replaces the original.

Why would he have to apologise for something that never saw print?