EDGE 175 Scores and Stuff

sofasurfer

They said that? Blimey! That's a quote to add to the list of classics, like talking to the monsters in Doom etc.

yes - they did.

All I could do was make this face : :ph34r: and go back to playing Godfather on the Wii - which is great fun as a direct result of the motion sensing capabilities of the wiimote and nunchuck. I must be mental.

Yeah they wind me up when they dismiss games without enough knowledge. Their reviews of fighting games are hilarious, comparable to The Sun reviewing games.

Who has a link to that picture of the Edge 3rd Strike review? It's amazing, they basically moan that they don't like the new characters and that the backgrounds aren't brilliant. It must have taken one guy all of half an hour to play it and write that.

If you want reliable reviews, go on IGN. If you want good, passionate writing, go buy Retro Gamer. If you want to pay a fiver to read Biffo's column and the Time Extend, then you should probably donate that fiver to charity instead.

Best reviews i ever read? Gamefan. Now that was a magazine. They played the games for hours and hours and it shone through like a beacon.

I feel like Edge reviews try to review the very concept of gaming every time, they treat the reader like someone who needs it all explaining. Gamefan used to cut the shit out and get to the nitty gritty, and talk to you like you were an expert just like them. A SF2 review would start by telling you how much animation was cut out, if the music was a lower bitrate and if the timing had changed. Edge would start by explaining the 1 on 1 fighting genre, wasting time and words..and then getting it wrong anyway.

Best reviews i ever read? Gamefan. Now that was a magazine. They played the games for hours and hours and it shone through like a beacon.

I feel like Edge reviews try to review the very concept of gaming every time, they treat the reader like someone who needs it all explaining. Gamefan used to cut the shit out and get to the nitty gritty, and talk to you like you were an expert just like them. A SF2 review would start by telling you how much animation was cut out, if the music was a lower bitrate and if the timing had changed. Edge would start by explaining the 1 on 1 fighting genre, wasting time and words..and then getting it wrong anyway.

Ace Magazine for the win on reviews.

Gary Penn's review of Monkey Island 2 is one I'll always remember. It was the first game in years that I drooled over, yearning for a nice PC to play it on.

Yeah Ace was great, I've still got some. I remember the Super Famicom reviews in Ace seemed like some exotic import world i knew nothing about.

I think there was much more general excitement generated in the early days I think. Whilst the acceptance of gaming into mainstream life is a good thing in one sense, there's a part of me which certainly misses the nerdy aspects of my chosen hobby...The buzz I used to get from seeing 'arcade-perfect' conversions on my Spectrum was something rather special...Of course, nothing was arcade perfect, but I could pretend.

What a poor issue, is it me or does it seem much thinner than usual with even more adverts.

Also, Biffo's column starting with a couple of paragraphs apologising for being so negative to Sony. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't completley unrelated to the rest of his column and stuck out like a sore thumb.

He doesn't apologise at all. He states that he's been really horrible to Sony but he's starting to feel sorry for them. That is not an apology, it's pity. He then says that to try and drag himself out of his recent negativity he's going to try and look at a positive side of gaming. It's still a hastily written filler article but nothing like you describe.

Also, how the hell does Tim Guest manage to keep a job, his column is so boring you could probably use it to successfully anaesthetise operation patients and I've yet to hear anyone admitting to enjoying it.

Too bloody true. I never thought I'd say this, but bring back Gary 'toyset' Penn. Or that Japanese bloke who used to sleep under his desk and talk about Final Fantasy XI every month.

I think all the columns are turgid in thier own way - I stopped really paying attntion to them a while back. Biffo is a great writer, and his was the last one to lose appeal, but it's all flesh and no bone. He just doesn't have much to say, because by and large he has as much insight into games as the average reader. Which makes his pulling of a recent piece on Phil Harrison all the more sad because for once he had wonderful personal material to build on.

Anyway. Burn them all. Seriously. I trawl the internet daily for videogame news, and if I can't be bothered to read them, God knows who can.

Why can't they get an anonymous developer to pen a cloumn. Or write fictional ones based on famous developers - like the Private Eye Craig Brown spoofs which are usually brilliant.

You must be.

must be. IMO - it's got the best implemented motion controls outside of Wii sports and this makes all the difference. Extorting a business by physically flinging someone around the room is, for me, genuine fun. I think it's good.

I think the forum and internet have killed the passion for magazine. A magazine is something for us to read when we are away from home ie at work / travelling or on holiday.

We have a strong word of mouths and much better idea what games is worth buying and how is the key developers are. In the old days we wouldn't know much and rely on game magazine.

Aren't you doing exactly the same thing, though?

No.

I work in the industry, but professional limitations mean I can't qualify any argument about industry things I get into. With that in mind, it means all I can do is leave an observation. Sorry!

You aren't really making an observation though, you are just sneering. Why bother posting at all if you can't explain what you are on about?

Also, how the hell does Tim Guest manage to keep a job, his column is so boring you could probably use it to successfully anaesthetise operation patients and I've yet to hear anyone admitting to enjoying it.

I swear to God those articles are one of the last reasons I stopped reading the mag. The reviews that often told you nothing about the game or were so far up therir arse they could taste last nights serving of dull and meaningless NGJ articles really started annoying me, but there's only so many fucking times you can read about a bloke playing Second Life.

I haven't bought a copy of Edge for well over a year. I use to buy the mag every month (i've still got over 60 issues up in the loft). Due to the Web, i've stopped buying any magazines because by the time the mag get's released each month the news/previews/features are old news.

There's no need to buy magazines anymore. IMO its the end of print.

Tim Guest's column is horribly boring. I preferred Nagoshi going on about how he loves booze. I think Jeff Minter said that Edge wanted to change his column to more game development and less Sony slagging, which makes sense since The Biffo Incident. Edge used to be a definitive bible for me, although I think we all know when the painful shake up occured and since then I've probably been lying to myself with every purchase. I work in the industry and thought that it was essential to read Edge, and there was a time when it was and they were totally in tune with what was going on - offering opinions which meant something and having brains of their own.

Thoughts on the Edge decline (which I haven't ever commented on before, so don't get too moany):

The news, reviews and previews strike me as fine, ie not noticeably worse than they've ever been since I started reading the mag about four years ago. (Having said that this issue's reviews look a bit dull - did the summer drought kick off early?) I don't like the redesign, but that's only because the design before this one was so very lovely - it just looks like every other game mag now (presumably that's the point), but not awful.

The thing I really miss is the columnists, although I have to admit that I only ever really read Redeye, Trigger Happy and Mr Biffo's one. They were basically the man reason I bought the mag, looking back. Then Redeye sodded off, then Mr Biffo got really dull for some reason, and Steven Poole, I can't even remember if he still writes it. If he does, it's not very interesting any more. Minter's column is just very "I did something. Then I did something else." without ever stopping to think if the reader ought to care. The Second Life guy is pretty dull, and I can't remember if there's another one, which, if there is, says it all.

The other thing is that they don't really have those great features any more, like the one about minorities in games, and the one about games coverage in the mainstream press. That "perfect game" one was absolutely appalling. The only really valuable addition the magazine got in the redesign is Time Extend, which is usually fantastic when it's talking about a game you know, and - impressively - still worth reading it's not.

I still buy it though as the reviews are still trustworthy (I think I've only ever disagreed with about three of them) and it's still better than everything out there, except maybe Ngamer.

I read Edge every month and I read these threads every month. To be honest, I only started picking faults with it after reading these threads.

Ignorance really is bliss.

Mind you, it's still a very good read to me. The best out there really. By and large I find their reviews to be pretty decent and the majority of articles to be interesting, at least.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I feel that the odd piece may be 'biased' (well I should say recycled PR) but over the space of a few issues it's usually balanced out.

I'm still amazed that angel honestly thinks a mainstream videogame magazine has failed if it hasn't discussed the bitrate of the music in a fighting game. He's mental!

But Edge prides itself on not being mainstream.."not for everyone" they used to say. Gamefan was awesomely pedantic on animation frames missing, genuine arcade perfection etc. If they said it was arcade perfect then it damn well was. PS1 SFA had a couple of dropped frames and got slated..Saturn SFA had different coloured super move shadows...slated. It was part tongue in cheek and they knew they were anal, but it was great. They genuinely filled issues with info you simply wouldn't know. They went more in depth than any other mag out there. Reading and understanding it was like being in a club, being a gamer who'd been around long enough to know what they were saying, inpenetrable to none gamers.

Frankly, i don't think Edge knows much about games, not in a real true sense. Gamefan writers were true hardcore, before the phrase became maligned. When the reviewer of Metal Slug 2 could genuinely 1 credit it, and was working on 1 lifeing it, you know you're reading the words of a true fan.

I love Gears, and I've not seen 1 review (apart from Luke on 1up) that genuinely 'got' it. They were all the same..."here comes the biggest game of the year, great gfx...plays well..believe the hype...9/10". I don't need to hear that bullshit, i'm a serious gamer, i've been around a while. Talk about the innovations, cliffyb's level design, the campness of the acting, the sophistication of the cover system, the steep learning curve, the new levels of technical excellence. Don't just rewrite the manual, comment on the hype, describe the game style, say it's good and then mark it. You're supposed to be experts Edge, write like one damn it. And swallowing a dictionary doesn't automatically give your words gravitas.