EDGE 175 Scores and Stuff

sofasurfer

Frankly, i don't think Edge knows much about games, not in a real true sense. Gamefan writers were true hardcore, before the phrase became maligned. When the reviewer of Metal Slug 2 could genuinely 1 credit it, and was working on 1 lifeing it, you know you're reading the words of a true fan.

There's no 'real true sense', there's just your idea of what a reviewer should be talking about in a review. I think that if you want your reviewers to be 1 crediting things like Metal Slug before they review it, then you're in a bit of a minority even on this forum, and Edge has never been for you. It is mainstream, in comparison to what you're talking about. The 'hardcore' are the dot within the dot, aren't they? Edge has never been there to cater for them. People used to complain about the magazine on the old forum - and then Tony Mott came along and pointed out that the forumites were a tiny tiny percentage of the Edge readership, and were in no way representative. You can't run a magazine aimed at normal people based on what 'hardcore' gamers are interested in.

I love Gears, and I've not seen 1 review (apart from Luke on 1up) that genuinely 'got' it. They were all the same..."here comes the biggest game of the year, great gfx...plays well..believe the hype...9/10". I don't need to hear that bullshit, i'm a serious gamer, i've been around a while. Talk about the innovations, cliffyb's level design, the campness of the acting, the sophistication of the cover system, the steep learning curve, the new levels of technical excellence. Don't just rewrite the manual, comment on the hype, describe the game style, say it's good and then mark it. You're supposed to be experts Edge, write like one damn it. And swallowing a dictionary doesn't automatically give your words gravitas.

All of that stuff is quite interesting, actually, now you mention it. I've always thought that all game reviews needed to do is say how fun the game is and why - and I think that's the main point of them - but actually I guess I'd be interested in stuff like that about Gears as well.

I think we both have valid points, maybe i'm looking for that stuff in the wrong place, but i do remember old Edge having character, good insider knowledge and a bit of bite. I re-read the old ones too and it's still there, and nowadays its dull as dishwater.

My only real real life mate who likes games as much as me just got his subs copy and had absolutely nothing to report. Even a few years back he'd be ringing me saying 'fucking hell....guess what got 9/10' and giving me a full run down of all the good stuff in it. Now we don't bother.

quick edit: i'm not so sure about the "forumites are 1% of the readership" thing. It's probably factually correct, but pandering to the mainstream never produces results. Write it for the experts, make it intelligent enough to satisfy the demanding, discerning customer. Get the quality in there and the word will get out, people will want to read you and success will follow. Write it like a wet blanket, offending nobody (cough phil harrison massive wanker cough cough) and you might as well not exist. You're not changing anything Edge, you're not moving anybody or provoking anything other than anger at incompetent opinions expressed as "we are the games bible and we are right" fact. You're as bland as the free paper on the bus. Get some balls, get some good writers in, some real experts.

Oh and stop reviewing fighting games until you get someone in who knows how they work, and drop the bloody scores. You've traded off that possibility for years without putting your money where your mouth is...and the "scores explained: 1 = 1, 2 = 2 etc" joke wore thin after a single issue.

Gamefan writers were true hardcore, before the phrase became maligned. When the reviewer of Metal Slug 2 could genuinely 1 credit it, and was working on 1 lifeing it, you know you're reading the words of a true fan.

Jesus. I'd instantly discount the opinion of someone so monumentally stupid as to put the amount of grind in to achieve that feat. Metal Slug 2 was a bloody mess of clunkiness and slowdown compared to the original.

I gave up buying Edge about 2 years back now, the print quality and graphics work are lovely- but as my knowledge of games grew i started to realize that half the time the reviewers don't have a clue what they're on about, some of the writing is just plain ignorant; being that we live in an age of Google and Wikipedia there's just no excuse.

I realize now looking back on myself a few years back and looking at those i know who still buy Edge regularly that it's nothing more than a defense mechanism: something you whack on your coffee table to attempt to justify to others that your love of games isn't fueled by the childish urges the media portrays, but as some form of appreciation for an upcoming artistic medium. Shamefully i used to be the same, but then i was introduced to consolevania and started to realise it's all a bunch of gash.

So quite buying Edge and pretentious as fuck obscure referential T-shirts and just admit it, games are for fun.

And in the age of free broadband, PCs available for 300 quid in Tescos and 100s of sites offering instant game news and reviews without a print delay time...Edge is redundant. It's not funny, it's not intelligently written, it's 4 weeks behind the news, it's got no more "industry access" than IGN. It's a dinosaur.

Watch me buy it tomorrow though :/

And in the age of free broadband, PCs available for 300 quid in Tescos and 100s of sites offering instant game news and reviews without a print delay time...Edge is redundant. It's not funny, it's not intelligently written, it's 4 weeks behind the news, it's got no more "industry access" than IGN. It's a dinosaur.

Watch me buy it tomorrow though :/

Aye, but the quality of the paper that holds the mediocrity together is fucking gorgeous- the main difficulty i had with giving it up was saying goodbye to the pleasure of holding every issue lovingly in my hands.

Still, the Animal Crossing year planner broke my heart when i found it to be made of the publishing equivalent of sugar paper as it fell apart in my hands before getting attached to a wall- and the Z:TP poster i picked up a recent copy for was exactly the same; it's tenuously hanging on by a few bits of blu-tac but it's blatantly not going to survive being taken off the wall when i have to move out in a few months. I did send Edge an email questioning why they're able to spend a fortune on paper quality for their main product but send them out with horrendously shoddy freebies, but they didn't reply. Gah.

Whining about Edge on here seems like the most pointless activity in the world, but just like picking a scab I can't help it. Edge used to be very important to me. It was the only trustworthy source of gaming information I had access to. For most of its life I really looked forward to it every month. I pretty much exclusively made my buying decisions based on what they said. Now I only buy it out of habit, and because I've got hundreds of the bloody things cluttering up my cupboards so it feels too late to stop now. I don't think it's rose-tinted spectacles for some fabled glory days: old issues could be a bit thin, but there would always be something there that I enjoyed. Now it's spineless, bland, not particularly well written, and has nothing whatsoever to say. I even doubt their independence and integrity to some extent, and it's a black day when I join that sad band of conspiracy theorists.

For the last year or two I hoped it was just in a slump, and could be great again. But Future must be delighted with the magazine. Whatever I think of it, sales are up a bit, and it seems packed with high-profile advertising. I don't expect it to change any time soon.

I realize now looking back on myself a few years back and looking at those i know who still buy Edge regularly that it's nothing more than a defense mechanism: something you whack on your coffee table to attempt to justify to others that your love of games isn't fueled by the childish urges the media portrays, but as some form of appreciation for an upcoming artistic medium. Shamefully i used to be the same, but then i was introduced to consolevania and started to realise it's all a bunch of gash.

So quite buying Edge and pretentious as fuck obscure referential T-shirts and just admit it, games are for fun.

O/\O

Edge is unique, to me at least, because it is the only computer magazine that i have truly rated that i stopped reading because i just didnt care anymore as opposed to because it just plain stopped.

It was damn easy to stop too, the first couple of issues i missed i had a flick through in WH Smiths and saw there was nothing for me, the last one i didnt even bother to do that.

If edge had exploded with the redeye business i'd have probably missed the thing the way i do those other mags.

I think the Time Extend features have really exposed Edge. The ones I've seen are like someone doing a comedic spin on what Edge is supposed to be. They're just really bad.

I don't understand where the reputation came from anyway. It was always just a magazine. It was never in the same league as Amiga Power or Super Play, or even Arcade. I think at some point in the 90s, some pretentious chin-strokin' gamers wanted a "serious read" and Edge fit the bill.

I liked RedEye, right enough.

Fuck it, it was all about PC Gamer in my house.

The only thing I remember about PC Gamer was some fanny employees always throwing a wobbler whenever rock music got a mention and taking the piss out of Kieron Gillen when he had long hair. That was it.

Super Play was ace, until the final editor came in.

I don't understand where the reputation came from anyway. It was always just a magazine. It was never in the same league as Amiga Power or Super Play, or even Arcade. I think at some point in the 90s, some pretentious chin-strokin' gamers wanted a "serious read" and Edge fit the bill.

Thing is it's not hard to appear high-brow when most of your rivals are giving away water pistols and packets of skittles on the cover. I'd kill for something like Amiga Power (a magazine I enjoyed reading even though I didn't own an Amiga) or the others you mentioned.

GamesTM seems to be slowly improving from just being a collection of regurgiated press releases and Top 10 lists in print, although it's not quite there yet.

As much of an AP fan as i was at the time, after a read of the site full of scans (mine are in my loft so i havent seen them in a few years) i realised how puerile a lot of it was. Reverend Tosspot Cambell's review of Chaos Engine is a tragic cliquey jokey mess. Some reviews are just the terrible "printed conversation". The features are uniformly terrible, the console slating and "graphics don't actually mean it's good" messages are repeated ad nauseam. In fact the only 2 writers that come out of it well are Jonathan Davies and Toyset Penn.

Actually, link me do, have a read of this "bonkers zany" review. Possibly the most grotesque use of the innocent parenthesis I've ever seen (You're fired - ed).

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/world/ap/chaos.htm

Super Play still stands up as awesome to the max though. The only mag that manages it.

Super Play still stands up as awesome to the max though. The only mag that manages it.

I'm well sure there's some articles by a batshit crazy guy towards the end. One of them proclaiming that a console only needs 8 sound channels, or something similar. I'll have a gander for them...

Crash. Now there was a magazine. A Crash Smash was a sure sign of quality.

I remember Crash with much fondness - Nick Roberts and his Playing Tips (Isn't he still working at Games TM?), Oli Frey and his illustrations, the Christmas Cracker tapes on the cover with many, many games. *sigh* I actually managed to whore myself with Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User when I had a Spectrum, and it seemed as though those magazines aren't as PR-led as many of the magazines on the shelves these days. Plus Your Sinclair had a great feeling about it like they were actual human beings instead of review robots. Happy days.

It was strange how the magazines all merged together in some bizarre fashion - I try and deny the merger of Crash and Sinclair User in my brains, but alas - it happened. SU was The Sun of Sinclair mags.

I think the Time Extend features have really exposed Edge. The ones I've seen are like someone doing a comedic spin on what Edge is supposed to be. They're just really bad.

I liked RedEye, right enough.

I doubt anything will ever live up to Super Play IMO. The shame about Time Extend is that the first few were totally awesome. That sands of time one is one of my favourite bits of game journalism ever. I actually thought 174 was a really good issue and I still look forward to it every month. But god do I miss redeye. Biffo's column is the most painful reading imaginable.

It's just really dull now isn't it? Occasionally one or two good features, and that's yer lot. Anyway, I cancelled my subscription on thursday, reading it became a chore and that 360 v PS3 cost comparison they did on their website- I felt like I was paying gamefaq reviewers after reading that.