Team Fortress 2 Discussion

ChrisN

On the other hand, because people think shopping major releases out to EA for porting is a good idea:

The PS3 version is being done by EA over in the UK, and they don't have all the networking stuff in yet to do anything other than [pause] it's rending and running the games and whatnot, but they're still dropping in the network layers. They're going to be using a piece of code that EA uses for its PS3 multiplayer stuff. Chances are the PS3 version will only play other PS3s. There's zero chance of them talking to 360s.

Hasn't pad vs keyboard & mouse been settled yet?

Dreamcast owners got to play against PC owners at Quake III years ago.

Like lambs to the slaughter.

The console FPS community has selectively erased that memory. If I remember rightly, DC players could use a keyboard and mouse if they wanted to. Anyone know if they fared any better?

Surely if a joypad is anywhere as precise as a mouse then people wouldn't moan about not having a mouse for, say, web browsing on a PS3.

It's not the mouse's accuracy which helps in web browsing (and arguably everything else where a mouse is needed): it's the dynamic range available when it comes to moving the mouse. That and there's some sort of correlation between distance of movement and distance on screen, as opposed to distance of movement controlling speed of movement onscreen. It's a bit more direct.

The console FPS community has selectively erased that memory. If I remember rightly, DC players could use a keyboard and mouse if they wanted to. Anyone know if they fared any better?

A bit better from what I remember, but given that the mouse was a balled affair it wasn't a much of match for an obsessive player with an optical.

Not that anyone bought them anyway.

It's not the mouse's accuracy which helps in web browsing (and arguably everything else where a mouse is needed): it's the dynamic range available when it comes to moving the mouse. That and there's some sort of correlation between distance of movement and distance on screen, as opposed to distance of movement controlling speed of movement onscreen. It's a bit more direct.

I always thought of it as moving a ball with the palm of your hand or with a matchstick.

Mouse and KB are unbeatable at giving ultimate control in FPS's. I admire what they have done in games like Halo with the controller making it easy to use and pickup, but that still doesnt mean that it offers anywhere near the accuracy, control and speed though. I think the only thing that will eventually superceed the M+KB setup will be where they plug a wire into your head and you do it all using thoughts.

Mouse and KB are unbeatable at giving ultimate control in FPS's. I admire what they have done in games like Halo with the controller making it easy to use and pickup, but that still doesnt mean that it offers anywhere near the accuracy, control and speed though. I think the only thing that will eventually superceed the M+KB setup will be where they plug a wire into your head and you do it all using thoughts.

I hope not, i won't be able to stop looking at master chiefs crotch.