rllmuk

The Man Utd Thread

Watching last night’s game though, it’s so apparent that we’re terrible at breaking teams down. We had 80% possession and only 1 shot on target in the entire first half. We were camped in their half, but couldn’t find a way through. We really need some midfield players who can unlock defences and strikers who can put it away as soon as they get the ball in situations like that, as it makes us look really one dimensional. The goals only came as Colchester started to attack a bit more and allowed us to hit them on the break.

If I were Pep, I’d do exactly what Colchester did then hit us on the break. Don’t tell him though.

As I said about the cup game against Colchester, we’re incapable of playing against a team that defends. Not a single shot on target that half. All we can hope for now is that they tire before us in the second half and we start to create some space for us to hit them on the break.

That bit of form we had against Spurs and City seems like a distant memory already.

i genuinely think its because we dont have an "out ball" when attacking, eg, a player that sits in front of the 2 CB's and is always available to pass back to, and then set the team off again, like scholes or carrick used to do.

either that, or we need to get pogba on the pitch to drive forward with the ball

also...WTAF WAS THAT!?!?!

Can we bring Henderson back from sheff utd!?

They really just cant be arsed against the "lower teams" can they...

Man United aren't the only team to struggle against tightly packed defences sat back deep but the difference between how good they look against top sides and how inept they look against low sides is about as stark as any team has ever been surely, at this point it's just getting stranger and stranger. I knew re checking the min by min Watford would be leading. I mean god fuck it risk losing 8 nil against the bottom side in the league who have scored 13 goals all season by over committing in numbers to force chances. I'm veering into 606 'In My Job I Can't Just Not Give My Best' territory now, but they must try to work out how to solve this nothingness every day in training, it's not like the greatest mystery to mankind, how do we create chances against a shit Watford side. I mean, they are professionals. They've done this football thing, moving, creating space every day since they were toddlers. At least get unlucky, hit the bar a few times, be up against superman.

I know, i've veered right into that territory now. It's just so predictable. It's just baffling because Spurs and City were nowhere in those games which were pretty big for them too. With Chelsea losing constantly 4th is on and like towards the end of last season it's being thrown away.

We're like the opposite of 2011-18 period Arsenal. But there's many many more games against low sides, that's the thing. Games against the top 6 don't come around often.

Dear oh dear oh dear. 

This was so predictable. We beat teams that come at us as we are an excellent counter-attacking team, but we can't beat teams that don't over-commit players forward against us. Give us the ball and the responsibility of setting the tempo, creating pressure, and breaking down an opponent and we are completely incapable of doing anything. 

I love Ole but perhaps it really is time to get a proper manager if he can't work this very obvious problem out. Sooner or later the top teams will figure out to give us the ball rather than attacking us, and we won't be able to beat anyone. 

I take it we’ve given up on 4th then. Yet another golden opportunity, with Chelsea playing Spurs, and we’ve thrown it away again.

I’m thinking it’s time Ole went now. I know the squad is a complete shambles, but he’s tactically inept.

I actually don't think he's done enough wrong to deserve the sack, and if Pochettino wasn't available I'd say we should give him the season and see if he can turn things around. However, Pochettino IS available, and by any rational measure a better manager with a better track record. If you can improve the club's prospects by getting him, then you kind of have to be ruthless, don't you? 

I'm not convinced of my own argument here, but that's what I'm leaning towards now. 

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I actually don't think he's done enough wrong to deserve the sack, and if Pochettino wasn't available I'd say we should give him the season and see if he can turn things around. However, Pochettino IS available, and by any rational measure a better manager with a better track record. If you can improve the club's prospects by getting him, then you kind of have to be ruthless, don't you? 

I'm not convinced of my own argument here, but that's what I'm leaning towards now. 

Question yourself this, how many prem clubs would hire Ole? 

If he wasn’t your ex player, he would have been gone by now. Setting up without the ball is the easiest thing to do in football. It’s when you have the ball it’s the hardest thing to coach and Ole has done abysmal job considering he’s been your manager for a year. There’s no patterns of play or any thought going into the forward play. Big games it’s just counter and soon enough like you said the big teams will figure that out. 

You would be crazy to just wait till the summer. If Pep leaves then no doubt City will target Potch and the same goes if Zidane fails to win anything at Madrid. Maybe even PSG would go for him considering he played there. Now’s your best chance to get him because come the summer he’d probably get better offers. 

That's true, our board could well have contacted him and been told in no uncertain terms to take their poisoned chalice of a job and stick it up their arse. Realistically, Poch could do a lot better. 

I saw some paper talk this morning about Pogba going to Juve as part of a swap deal with Emre Can. Emre Can! He's absolutely fucking shit. Why would we want another defensive midfielder who would be a downgrade on Scotty and Fred? To be honest, he'd be a downgrade on Matic. 

I wouldn't take too much from paper rumors.

I think most managers would struggle with our current squad. The fact that we haven't had much choice but to have the likes of useless Pereira, too old Mata and Jesse "year long bad patch" Lingard in our starting elevens should tell you all the squad just isn't good enough at the moment. Remember when we had to have a midfield 2 of Fred and Pereira? Even Poch wouldn't get anything out of that!

You could also see how much of a difference it made when Pogba came on against Watford. Without him we just don't have any creative players (other than Mata and Pereira) who can try and break down teams who sit back.

At the moment we are just so 1 dimensional, and while that single speedy counter attacking dimension is really effective, it relies on the other team to let us play in that particular way. Whether that is all down to Ole, or if it's more because of the players we have I don't really know, but hopefully we will bring in 1 or 2 players next month who will give us more options and let us play slightly differently when we need to. 

• Upvote 1

Also, the fact that we manage to get everything so spot on against the big teams sort of suggests to me that Ole probably isn't really the problem. A few more good transfers in and you'd sort of expect us to be better prepared to score against them as well.

Its odd, as Fergie would have set up exactly like that against some bigger teams, and hit teams on the counter...the difference, is against the lower teams he would have the team encircling the opposition.

The issue with Mata is, whilst being one of the best passers, he isn't physical, and hasn't learnt to adapt his game to playing a deeper role. Look at giggs, played on the wing till 30, then adapted and played another 10 years in central mid! Mata needs to sit deeper and ping balls around or start things off like schoels did in his later years, there is no need to cast him off, IF, he adapts to the needs of the team.