The Man Utd Thread

Fair play, Arsenal have done a great job on us today. We haven't been able to get a single counter-attack going. They've left the front four and Kolasinac to do the attacking and the rest have watched out for us breaking. They completely nullified us and outplayed us. 

We were bloody awful though. 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

He’s injured again, apparently. Yeah, right.

That sounds spookily familiar to Coutinho's back injury that kept him from playing right before his lucrative transfer to Barcelona.

I wish the clubs would just out the player straight away and tell the truth.

Genuine thoughts on solskjaer? Obviously you have another big problem in Woodward but do you guys believe he is good enough? We kept Rashford quiet yesterday but he is having his best season for you, players like lingard and matic shouldn't be near your team. I think Fred has improved massively for you this season. Dan James is ok but should be a squad player for now (too lightweight) The Pogba issue needs sorting quickly aswell, can't be helping the team either way. 

4 minutes ago, hercules said:

Genuine thoughts on solskjaer? Obviously you have another big problem in Woodward but do you guys believe he is good enough? We kept Rashford quiet yesterday but he is having his best season for you, players like lingard and matic shouldn't be near your team. I think Fred has improved massively for you this season. Dan James is ok but should be a squad player for now (too lightweight) The Pogba issue needs sorting quickly aswell, can't be helping the team either way. 

I'm not sure whether Ole is good enough to be in charge for the next 10 years or whatever, but I think it would be a pretty big mistake to get rid of him now and effectively resetting everything he has done. From where we were before he came in and despite some of our losses, we are definitely heading in the right direction. I think when Ole took over we all knew it would take time to fix things to a point where we could be challenging for trophies again and were mostly hoping for 3 things to start a rebuild. Getting rid of the dead wood from our bloated squad (how many center backs?!), play more of the youth players that had been neglected under Mou, and start playing with some sort of actual attacking identity. 

We've seen some of the more derided players sent off elsewhere and that looks set to continue next summer (and maybe even this month!). Phil Jones and Rojo haven't been anywhere near the first team, Matic is only playing currently because of our depleted CM options and Young is no longer a first choice player. I'd expect all 4 of those to be playing for other teams next season. 

Lot's of youth players have been given chances. Some like Williams, future captain Scott Mctominay, Greenwood and even the likes of £15m signing Dan James have taken their chances well and we can probably expect to see more being given chances soon enough.

And at times we are also playing some quite exciting attacking football. We often press quite well and have gone from being the team who run the least to one of the hardest working sides in the league. There is obviously still a lot of work to be done there, but it's all progress.

When you look at the current squad, which I think is the youngest in the league, and you look at our injuries, I don't think anyone else would come in and be able to do much more than what Ole has done. I think this summer with Maguire, Wan Bissaka and James coming in is the first time we've brought in players and they've just worked out right away since probably the Martial signing? If we can identify our problem positions and bring in players who fit Ole's system I can see us improving a lot more very quickly. It's just a case of whether Woodward can be bothered and not just signing someone because they are a big name or just because they are available. 

@spork that's fair enough, I agree Mctominay was a big miss as he has looked your best midfielder this season. Greenwood also has some real class about him (stands out when he plays) I personally don't think solskjaer is ruthless enough or tactically good enough for you but can understand your optimism and wanting to give him more time. Also don't trust your scouting and recruitment for years, Woodward seems to be your biggest problem to me. 

Woodward and the Glaziers are the problem, obviously. They don't care about winning the league as long as the money isn't affected, which has lead to fourth place becoming the target. Woodward's transfer strategy is based around maximising income rather than what the team needs. You can see this not just by the Hollywood signings with no regard for what the team needs, but the way he delays and delays to make sure the signings are made close to the deadline rather than early in pre-season when the Chinese market isn't interested. We time the announcement of signings around Beijing times. Money men make all the top-level football decisions. No club can be truly successful when that is happening. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50968718

Perhaps Pogba genuinely is injured. Who knows, at this point? 

I love how in that article Ole says he’s not too worried as long as Fred and Matic played like they did yesterday! Is he really that blind, is he hinting we won’t be trying for a midfielder in the transfer window, or is he just being a good, corporate mouthpiece?

40 minutes ago, spork said:

I'm not sure whether Ole is good enough to be in charge for the next 10 years or whatever, but I think it would be a pretty big mistake to get rid of him now and effectively resetting everything he has done. From where we were before he came in and despite some of our losses, we are definitely heading in the right direction. I think when Ole took over we all knew it would take time to fix things to a point where we could be challenging for trophies again and were mostly hoping for 3 things to start a rebuild. Getting rid of the dead wood from our bloated squad (how many center backs?!), play more of the youth players that had been neglected under Mou, and start playing with some sort of actual attacking identity. 

We've seen some of the more derided players sent off elsewhere and that looks set to continue next summer (and maybe even this month!). Phil Jones and Rojo haven't been anywhere near the first team, Matic is only playing currently because of our depleted CM options and Young is no longer a first choice player. I'd expect all 4 of those to be playing for other teams next season. 

Lot's of youth players have been given chances. Some like Williams, future captain Scott Mctominay, Greenwood and even the likes of £15m signing Dan James have taken their chances well and we can probably expect to see more being given chances soon enough.

And at times we are also playing some quite exciting attacking football. We often press quite well and have gone from being the team who run the least to one of the hardest working sides in the league. There is obviously still a lot of work to be done there, but it's all progress.

When you look at the current squad, which I think is the youngest in the league, and you look at our injuries, I don't think anyone else would come in and be able to do much more than what Ole has done. I think this summer with Maguire, Wan Bissaka and James coming in is the first time we've brought in players and they've just worked out right away since probably the Martial signing? If we can identify our problem positions and bring in players who fit Ole's system I can see us improving a lot more very quickly. It's just a case of whether Woodward can be bothered and not just signing someone because they are a big name or just because they are available. 

In short, proper average club, average manager, shit players. Pogba is overrated and should have cost them about 7Mil

14 minutes ago, Chu Chu Chris said:

In short, proper average club, average manager, shit players. Pogba is overrated and should have cost them about 7Mil

Probably a fair summary on where we are at the moment, yes. :lol:

Bit like arsenal with Kroenke, the Glaziers aren't going anywhere. So at the very least you need a manager that will maximise the players you have and make them play better than they are. We have taken a risk with Arteta, performances have been vastly better and we got the result last night, Hopefully it works long term. I personally think Ole has been there long enough now and while he has done ok in stages, I don't think he is the man to take you back to where you want to be. 

You're not in as good a position to judge as we are though. I waver back and forth but I lean towards sticking with him, as you can see the steps he's making, the sensible decisions he's making in the face of idiotic resistance from further up the hierarchy. When he took over, we clearly needed a right winger, a number 10, a defensive midfielder, and an entire back four. Since then he's lost his centre-forward and his best central midfielder has basically gone on strike. In the face of that, he's signed an excellent right back, a very good centre-back, and someone to play on the right wing who is raw but incredibly fast and hard-working, and had an immediate impact. He's also stuck with Lindelof and is reaping the benefits of that, discovered an excellent left back in the youth team and is easing him in while persevering with Luke Shaw. On top of this, he's miraculously transformed Fred into a footballer, put faith in McTominay, who has become an integral part of the team, and promoted Greenwood into an alternative option on the right wing (who has scored a pretty good eight goals) made the sensible decision to give Martial the centre-forward position given the absence of many other options, and got a best-ever season out of Rashford. 

We still need a number ten, but the decision to see if Pereira could step up was probably the right thing to do. We have obvious problems, but they could well have more to do with the players we have than Solskjaer's management. 

When we are playing well, we play the best football we have done since Ferguson retired. We are the only team this season to outplay Liverpool, and the results against Chelsea, Spurs, and particularly Man City hint at the potential in the squad. 

We still need at least three players, and they need to be very good players. When Pogba goes, make that four. Haaland would have been good, as would Bruno Fernandez, but the blame for those transfers not happening can be laid at Woodward's door, not Solskjaer's. 

It would be reductionist to simply look at the league table or yesterday's performance and say "not good enough" and rip it all up again to go back to the drawing board again. 

apparently we are being linked with Gedson Fernandes, who IS a midfielder!?! i know shock! ,but, hes sort of a box to box midfeleder...instead of his team mate Florentino Luís who is a proper DM/DLP...ya know, exactly what we need...

33 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'm delusional? :blink:

We watch them every week, read the news about them, all that stuff, so we're more qualified to judge, that's all I'm saying. 

You certainly seem keen to make friends wherever you go. Good grief. 

Who says I don't watch them every week? With that mentality why would you listen to any pundit or journo who doesn't exclusively follow man utd? 

4 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Why are you blundering about looking for arguments? How rude is it to ask a question then start calling people delusional when they answer?

You are making it an argument, how rude is it and how self entitled it is to assume you know better solely on you supporting the club in question. Again with that mentality why would you listen to any football radio presenter, pundit or journo? That is what's delusional. 

36 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

apparently we are being linked with Gedson Fernandes, who IS a midfielder!?! i know shock! ,but, hes sort of a box to box midfeleder...instead of his team mate Florentino Luís who is a proper DM/DLP...ya know, exactly what we need...

I don't know much about Gedson Fernandez. He has great hair, but he's fallen out with his manager so badly he has been dropped for over a month. That's hardly a great sign. 

@feltmonkey I gave you my view on your manager, you precede to tell me you know better as you are a fan. (pretty delusional and rude) give you reasons why it is a wrong assumption, rather than admit you turned an honest conversation into an argument and you were wrong, you just ignore.

It has become clear that the majority of Rllmuk football fans don't want an honest discussion regarding football in any capacity and would rather snipe at people who try to engage. 

12 minutes ago, hercules said:

@feltmonkey I gave you my view on your manager, you precede to tell me you know better as you are a fan. (pretty delusional and rude) give you reasons why it is a wrong assumption, rather than admit you turned an honest conversation into an argument and you were wrong, you just ignore.

It has become clear that the majority of Rllmuk football fans don't want an honest discussion regarding football in any capacity and would rather snipe at people who try to engage. 

The football thread is over there *points at*https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/311216-football-thread-20192020/ * if you want a general discussion. :P

And further more, how long has it taken Klopp to get liverpool where they are now, literally YEARS!, a year is not that long, and the signings under ole, the way we play, and the youth players are actual improvements, but it cant be done in a season! ...man i wish we had gotten klopp when fergie retired, he was the only person i could see at the time being right, and now look...

@5R7 i came in here to have a reasonable discussion. I gave my honest view, if it differs to others that is fine but to be told my view isn't valid based solely on me not supporting the club in question is just plain wrong and it is delusional aswell as rude. If all of you are happy with Ole that's great as you are fans of the club. I personally may not agree but that doesn't excuse the reaction I have received. 

So...you "walk" up to a group of people who are having a discussion, of which they appear to be in general agreement.

Decide to chuck in your opinion and nobody likes it and doesn't agree with you, and then you call the group rude, because they don't agree with you...well... i mean...

In fairness to hercules he is right, being a fan is not a good indication of anything. Let alone a measured appraisal of the club, that's probably why the discussion turned like it did.

This is the United thread though and generally the rules around here are leave the fans threads alone if you're being critical. At least that's how I read it.

@5R7I ask a group of man utd fans their view on the manager, saying I personally don't think he is what you need to get you back to where you want to be. Am told "I am not in as good as a position to judge" because I don't support said club. That is rude and delusional. Because you don't share my view and because I don't support the club doesn't make my view invalid. As I said with that mentality you wouldn't listen to any pundit or journo unless they specifically follow your club.