The Man Utd Thread

6 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Axel has been so fucking good. If he can stay fit, he should be one of the first names on the team sheet from now on.

aye, the defence looks better without maguire!? would love to see him and Teden Mengi start together!

De Gea, Wan Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Fred, McTominay - amazing performances all around the team today. Every player on that team gave their all for their team mates and for the system. If we can keep this up... the future will definitely look brighter.

Also Fernandes captain 4 life.

2 hours ago, spork said:

Mctominay Fred Bruno midfield is our best/most balanced midfield.

Totally. Their work rate, tenacity and (most importantly imo) mobility make them (Fred and McTominay) better than Pogba Matic. I remember McTominay had one misplaced pass but otherwise they intercepted, held the ball, carried, passed it simply. It's no coincidence both of those featured in all the games united beat top sides over the last year? 

For some reason a lot of people are gushing over Pogba's apearance, the stat that he created the most chances being used. Seems like wish fulfillment to me, people desperate for Pogba to be influential. Apart from a back heel flick I didn't see him do anything noteworthy. No replay shown of his blocked shot to see if it was on target. He didn't lose the ball though which is something, although after Neymar's shot he picked it up, ran into bodies, did a neat backheel that was too shot... a PSG player slid in kicking the ball back into the area again..

Fernandes can do those long through balls for Rashford to run on to and as importantly run to provide support, not be offside and finish. I'm down on Pogba, we don't know how covid is affecting him. I'd rather VDB replaced Fernandes to give him a rest, but with Chelsea and Arsenal coming up it doesn't seem Ole trusts anyone other than Fernandes in that role. 

Wan Bissaka and Tuanzebe were immense, apart from one time tricked by Mbappe's footwork to cut inside and shoot (which most keepers might not save, De Gea is definitely back, I'm convinced) they were so composed, tracked, ran, didn't dive in. I'm not surprised, I never agree United are that hopeless defensively and that new defenders are always a high priority. The spurs capitulation was rare, under Ole hammerings like that don't happen and was compounded by the stupid red and Bailly returning in a daze.

Again and again young defenders who have not played for ages come in and are strong and don't look out of place (not just for United either). I agree with Ferdinand, Tuanzebe deserves to be awarded with more trust in starting games. Maguire is as certain to start as Fernandes and De Gea under Ole though I think. 

I'd like to see Telles on the left and Williams 4 on the right in a back at some point. 

That away consecutive wins stat is incredible. Almost as good as Rashford has scored as many goals at the PSG stadium in the champions league since 18/19 as Mbappe...

10 hours ago, spork said:

Mctominay Fred Bruno midfield is our best/most balanced midfield.

They are great when we hit teams on the break. Like when we smashed City last season. When we’re not doing it, then usually they are poor.

It's such an obvious thing but any defence in the world would look exposed with Matic and Pogba in front of them. There's not enough mobility between them, and Pogba in particular takes too many risks dribbling with the ball for that role. I'm amazed we got away with that combination for so long post lockdown. All it took was for teams to work out that they needed to press Pogba - the moment he's dispossessed in the middle of the pitch, if you've then only got an aging Matic to scramble across to help out the defence, of course we're going to be vulnerable.

That's not to say Pogba doesn't have a role in the team. Against teams defending with a low block, Mctominay Fred Bruno probably doesn't give us enough creativity. Even in that situation though, I'd rather deploy him like we used him when he came on last night, as the furthest forward in a compact midfield 3.

I like the midfield we played last night a lot, but it really depends on the opposition. We shouldn't forget how excellent Matic was post-lockdown last season. He is slow, but his reading of the game made up for that and he just tended to be in the right place at the right time. He also gives us something going forward as he can pass the ball. He's a strange player though, because his form seems to lurch from being hugely effective to being a liability. He's currently gone back to that mode of being far too slow on the ball and constantly taking all the momentum out of the team. 

Pogba vs McTominay is an interesting question. McTominay gives us so much energy in there, disrupting opposition attacks and giving no respect whatsoever to reputations. His passing is very weak though, so the team as a whole doesn't function particularly well when he is playing and we have to break down a defence. If we're playing a team that are going to try to push us back, a team that should be better than us, I'd pick him every time. But if we're playing a team we should beat, there's no point playing him. 

The run of games we won at the end of last season with Pogba, Fernandes, and Matic were all against weaker opposition. The games we won against the top teams generally featured Fred and McTominay. Perhaps we should play Fernandes and Fred every time, and either Pogba or McTominay depending on the opposition. McTominay for the big games, and Pogba for the easier ones. Donny drops in to give Bruno a rest. He remains a weird way to have spent seemingly 80% of our transfer budget. 

I'd go back to a back four, which would be Telles, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, and AWB. Maguire shouldn't come back into the team based on his abject form, which is disrupting the team. Ole's statements after the Newcastle game about him inspiring the comeback were bullshit, a PR move. He's still a problem back there. I'd go as far as not bringing him back if we changed to a back three either, and stick with the three we had last night then. 

McTominay / Fred are a really great pairing, I guess the issue is that we have three really talented attacking midfielders, all of whom it's going to be hard to leave out. I feel like the answer is to play one of them out on the right, leading to a kind of lopsided diamond. Pogba has played in a similar position for France before I think, sometimes ending up very high and wide. Fernandes would be comfortable in such a role too. Mata looked pretty good against Newcastle in a kind of dual number 10 combination with Fernandes. I think all these players would rather be more central, but we don't have a true right sided attacker so it's going to be a compromise whoever we play there.

Other teams play two creative midfielders with one staying back to cover, but tbh neither Fred or McTominay seem ideal for that role, as they can't defend as proactively or contribute as much to the build up.

35 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

He remains a weird way to have spent seemingly 80% of our transfer budget.

He was available and wanted to play for us, is a great player, and having him means we're a lot less fussed if Pogba stays or not. Kind of business we should be doing more often, getting in front of a problem instead of always being reactive.

United net debt increases

United's net debt as of 30 June 2020 was £474.1 million, an increase of £270.5 million over the year, due to a decrease of £256.1 million in cash and cash equivalents and adverse movements in the GBP:USD exchange rate.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-woodward-call-recap-19140058

edit: we have many talented players but Obi Wan Bissaka is my player of the year, and hes one of our best players. 

Really wish I understood what Ole was doing with some of these selections. Dan James is a tryer but offers absolutely nothing. Van de Beek and Pogba frozen out. Axel has the game of his life and is dropped to the bench. What happened to rewarding those in form and promoting youth?

8 minutes ago, ckny said:

Really wish I understood what Ole was doing with some of these selections. Dan James is a tryer but offers absolutely nothing. Van de Beek and Pogba frozen out. Axel has the game of his life and is dropped to the bench. What happened to rewarding those in form and promoting youth?

Wear down Chelsea and THEN bring on the super subs I guess, battle of attrition.