The Man Utd Thread

4 minutes ago, spork said:

Finally buy a right winger. Play him on the left. :lol:

was about to say James has been having a good game on the right...and then that lol  Great game!

2 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

I hope you're not criticising Ole?!

I'm Ole's biggest cheerleader here! Just thought it was funny how we finally went out and bought a natural right winger and he gets his debut on the left wing.

2 minutes ago, spork said:

I'm Ole's biggest cheerleader here! Just thought it was funny how we finally went out and bought a natural right winger and he gets his debut on the left wing.

That was the joke :)

16 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I still like Dan James. I think there's a player in there, and I'm delighted to see him play well and score.

His pace is amazing but he needs space to utilise it. 

38 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

so what do we reckon then, sunday, de gea and lindelof back, and some kind of fuck up between em for newcastle to score?

That's a great shout for a bet.

De Gea and Lindelof will definitely be back.

The goalkeeper situation is curious. If the intention was for Henderson to replace De Gea next season maybe, why would Romero be frozen out? We'd have to move De Gea for Henderson to step up, but now we'll need to go in the market for a backup keeper. Makes me wonder what the plan is? Does Ole think he can keep DDG and Henderson happy with the current set up?

funnily, i read an article about the that yesterday! https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-united-transfer-news-release-19854936

"Man United are frittering more than £600,000 a week on goalkeepers' wages but three are expected to leave the club in the summer.

Manchester United are expected to cull their goalkeeping department by releasing at least three 'keepers in the summer.

Sergio Romero and Joel Pereira are both expected to be released as United have no intention of triggering the one-year extension in either player's contract.

Romero, 33, has not played all season and is effectively fifth-choice behind David de Gea, Dean Henderson, Lee Grant and Nathan Bishop. The Argentina goalkeeper was unable to engineer a transfer in either of the last two windows and is marooned at United until the end of the season."

I do find if bizarre nobody came in for Sergio though, unless they did and his wage demands were too much...

Pretty sure it was reported that Everton were in for him but that we didn't want to sell to a potential rival. He then didn't come back from Argentina and wasn't registered to play until last month. His wife was also saying stuff on Twitter I think, mostly about how he was dropped from the semi finals last season despite being our cup keeper until then.

I'm sure if someone comes in for De Gea for a half decent price this summer he'll be off, even if we have to pay some of his wages to get him off the books. Not sure he'll get a big transfer like he would have a few years ago but Henderson is surely going to be seen as our number 1 next season.

Wow time flies doesn't it. Remember when De Gea was getting bullied and looked like a stick?

This season De Gea will have completed 10 full seasons in the prem. The lowest appearances was 28.

Not bad at all but you cant help think he wont be seen as a great. He's done fantastic to play for so long at such a club but its been mostly a bit meh and fizzled out.

Young fresh keeper for the next 10 years in Hendo sounds good. 

Good luck to De Gea whereever he goes. Should have took the Madrid gig years ago.

On 19/02/2021 at 19:36, Baring said:

Wow time flies doesn't it. Remember when De Gea was getting bullied and looked like a stick?

This season De Gea will have completed 10 full seasons in the prem. The lowest appearances was 28.

Not bad at all but you cant help think he wont be seen as a great. He's done fantastic to play for so long at such a club but its been mostly a bit meh and fizzled out.

Young fresh keeper for the next 10 years in Hendo sounds good. 

Good luck to De Gea whereever he goes. Should have took the Madrid gig years ago.

This seems like revisionism just because he's on his way out. Admittedly I don't follow United, or football in general, anywhere near as much as I used to but saying 'it's been mostly a bit meh' is a doing a pretty huge disservice to the years when he was brilliant, the best keeper in the league if not Europe, and was nearly single-handedly winning us games.

It sounds like his form has dipped a lot in recent years which is a shame but while he may not go down as an all-time great he put in some outstanding seasons for the team.

It's pretty difficult to go down as an all-time great if you're a keeper to be honest. I bet everyone looks back massively fondly at Van Der Sar now but there were long periods during his later years at United where he was a total liability. Cech was the best keeper in the league for years and then became something of a joke. Schmeichel could be a bit of a disaster near the end of his United years too. Incredibly rare is the keeper who doesn't have a pretty massive drop-off.

Yeah, "a bit meh" is just objectively wrong. He was our player of the season year after year after year. I've watched United for more than 35 years, I've seen the great keepers we've had in that time - Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, Taibi - and none of them were as spectacular and exciting as De Gea. Not even Roy Carroll, and he was capable of making saves when the ball was three feet behind the goal-line. None of them won as many games almost single-handed as him. He absolutely is an all-time club great in his position, and in those four or five seasons when he was at the top of his game he was the best in the world by a distance.

Remember Balotelli playing for Liverpool and smashing the ball at the top corner from eight yards out and DDG flashing across and tipping it onto the bar? Or against Everton, diving to save a shot that was blocked by a defender then somehow springing to his feet to claw the follow-up out of the top corner? Or that one against Liverpool with his feet? Or Mata's free-kick when he was at Chelsea? Or when a Stoke player met a volley four yards out and he reacted quick enough to tip it over the bar?

Being a goalkeeper for Manchester United is not easy. The scrutiny distorts the reality. Every defeat is a disaster and every slight mistake is amplified into an unfathomable howler. Henderson will make mistakes. Every player does. Van Der Sar's main strength was his calmness and reliability, but he made mistakes. I think I would still pick De Gea now, partly because it would be unfair to throw a young keeper into a team with no central defence. That's another thing to consider - De Gea has played most of his career for us without a centre of defence in front of him. Smalling and Jones, Rojo diving in, Blind getting pushed about, the two we have now (who are arguably worse than Smalling and Jones) it's no surprise he seems to have PTSD now.

Jesse Lingard has scored three goals in four league games at west ham :blink:

i guess if he does well, he either comes back, or, his price tag has gone up for doing well

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Jesse Lingard has scored three goals in four league games at west ham :blink:

i guess if he does well, he either comes back, or, his price tag has gone up for doing well

Even better, he's scored against a Jose managed side ;)