The Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Freakish end to the game, and an odd game overall. When Ole made the change at half-time it was a clear shift to give the wing-backs their legs, and for whatever reason they didn't have either the nerve nor faith enough in the middle three.

No complaints about the sending off. Typical of the kind of chance you get tempted into taking on a plastic pitch. A pity that Sancho and van der Beek were prematurely sacrificed as a consequence.

A tricky group made trickier. Was very close to a decent away point under the circumstances. UtfR.

10 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I wouldn't bet on that. They're full of running and I could easily see them nicking the odd point if their tails are up.

Yeah they were decent but only AFTER we had a player sent off. Before that, they had nothing. We were comfortably beating them without having to really get out of first gear.  After the sending off, they came to life, inspired to throw players forward and looked a completely different team.

This game shows a problem with our squad. As we know, we don't really have a midfield.  When you're down to ten men you rely on your midfield to keep the ball, conserving energy for your defenders and taking time out of the game.  We didn't do that, and had zero control after the red card.  We don't control games at the best of times - we're set up to allow our star players to produce enough magic every match and score enough goals to win.  I think we're always going to struggle if we get someone sent off.

3 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah they were decent but only AFTER we had a player sent off. Before that, they had nothing.

Villareal, and to a lesser extent Atalanta, have less up top to worry about. Which balances out Young Boys' risk/reward somewhat.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't bet on them picking up any other wins in the group, but a point isn't beyond them.

I think we should still be okay, but remember last season it was the annoying away defeat to Istanbul Basaksehir that did for us.  Tonight had echos of that.  A self-inflicted defeat away to the worst team in the group.  It's so familiar!  😬

12 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

When you're down to ten men you rely on your midfield to keep the ball, conserving energy for your defenders and taking time out of the game.  We didn't do that, and had zero control after the red card.  We don't control games at the best of times - we're set up to allow our star players to produce enough magic every match and score enough goals to win.  I think we're always going to struggle if we get someone sent off.

The whole situation with ten men really highlighted how making significant changes to a system is one thing, and the players on the pitch buying into it is another. I really thought he'd take Ronnie off at half-time. It was the right decision and would have spared his ego getting the hook in the first half. 4-3-2, split Martial and Greenwood in either channel, and continue to threaten that way.

He chose differently with the back three and it also has its merits, but maybe keeping the pitch wide with the wing-backs ran counter to their instincts to prevent the middle being too open. Whatever, the intent from the dugout wasn't mirrored by the personnel, and I'd raise an eyebrow towards the dugout for not being on top of that right away.

45 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

Because Young Boys annual budget is roughly equivalent to MU’s gardener monthly salary? And because it was seen as three guaranteed points for MU?

Good on them, but it was a freak result really. A daft sending off and a momentary lapse decided the game. It’s not as though they absolutely destroyed us on an equal footing, but they were celebrating that way.

Football’s a funny old game, eh?

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

Good on them, but it was a freak result really. A daft sending off and a momentary lapse decided the game. It’s not as though they absolutely destroyed us on an equal footing, but they were celebrating that way.

Football’s a funny old game, eh?

They didn’t celebrate that way because they «destroyed » you. They did because it was a fair victory against a far richer, far more famous, far more powerful opponent.

it’s really surprising you don’t get that.

2 minutes ago, Disgraced Toblerone said:

They didn’t celebrate that way because they «destroyed » you. They did because it was a fair victory against a far richer, far more famous, far more powerful opponent.

it’s really surprising you don’t get that.

I know! I specifically said they didn't destroy us. It was a freak result, but they took their chances and it worked out for them. After we deservedly went down to 10 men, they really upped their game and Lingard's lack of concentration gifted them the game. I'm more than happy for them. I just thought their celebrations at the end were a little overblown, that's all. I guess I didn't think United carried that much cache (is that the right word?) these days.