The Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I hope they added how they added in their own pursuit of Ramos and the John Bostock affair in their as well.

Ramos' appointment was a fiasco, but Bostock was not under contract and we offered Palace a payment (more than they got from the Tribunal), it was just Jordan wanting more money that took it to tribunal.

we offered Palace a payment

Wrong thread, but the offer Spurs made was much less than Palace had turned down from Chelsea 18 months previously (as was the figure the tribunal decided upon).

Tevez would like to play for Real too!

"I understand Cristiano. Every footballer wants to play at Real Madrid. On the other hand, I also think that everyone wants to play for Manchester United, but if what he seeks is something else, I think that should be respected.

"I have not talked to him, but when these things happen, neither side feels good."

Full story http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3859407,00.html

He's just such a perfect example of what a footballer should be all about. No glamour, no glitz, just keep your head down and do what you do best on the pitch. It's going to be so hard to see him retire.. :lol:

These psychological warfare stories get blown out of proportion 9/10 times. He gets asked about Chelsea at a press conference, gives a reply on the spot and suddenly you get back pages dedicated to how Sir Alex has launched a new war of mind games on his rivals. He talked up the chances of Arsenal and Liverpool in the same answer.

These psychological warfare stories get blown out of proportion 9/10 times. He gets asked about Chelsea at a press conference, gives a reply on the spot and suddenly you get back pages dedicated to how Sir Alex has launched a new war of mind games on his rivals. He talked up the chances of Arsenal and Liverpool in the same answer.

He's not stupid though, he knows what'll happen when he says these things.

This.

Just thought i'd resurrect the thread and see what peoples views are on a rather unchanged team for next season?

Doesn't look like Ronaldo will be leaving and we may still get Berbatov. Other than that I don't see any other major ins/outs. Here's my thoughts;

Defense

I have to admit I've never been Browns biggest fan but not one of the supposed standout rb's managed to cover themselves in glory at the Euro's. And lets be honest he played there nearly all last season and did a pretty damn good job and at least he's a good crosser of the ball. Vidic is getting better and better, in all the pre-season games he has looked far more comfortable on the ball and his passing is clearly starting to improve. Evans was excellent in the game against Portsmouth and Ferguson has said he will replace Pique as the replacement CB. I'm hoping Simpson will get a chance at RB as I rate him quite highly and he hasn't been sent of on loan just yet. Silvestre has looked solid since coming back from injury and although he'd only be a bit-part player so can't really have any complaints if he doesn't leave.

Midfield

I'm really looking forward to seeing some improvements hear next season now Anderson/Nani/Hargreaves have had a season to settle in. Hopefully Carrick will start the season in good form unlike last year and Hargreaves will be able to stay off the Physio's table a bit more! I expect Anderson to get a few goals and Nani to get more consistent delivery, both of which would help. The only 'new' midfield arrival is Possebon, a young Brazilian who joined in January and has had a decent pre season and been earmarked fro some first team action.

Attack

Clearly the area where we have the greatest strength over our Rivals. We may lack a Torres at the moment (although Berbatov would go some way to fill that spot), Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo have got a massive amount of goals in them. I don't think Ronaldo will emulate last season but I do expect Tevez and Rooney too add a few more compared to last season. With Berbatov I think you've got a strike force capable of pushing 100 goals a season (seeing as 3 managed over 80 thats not too much to ask is it?!). Manuchu was injured prior to pre season so i'm not sure when he'll play but he looked decent at the African Nations and should give us another weapon to break down defenses that sit back and refuse to attack. It wouldn't surprise me to see Campbell go out on loan/be sold as he hasn't really impressed much during pre season. Not sure why Wellbeck hasn't been playing, he was earmarked for some first team action towards the end of last year and he seems to be highly regarded at OT.

Apologies it was a bit of a long post!

Yep - a legend.

Yes he is always going to be a legend due to '99 but..

In the last four years he played 35 times so that works out to getting around 10mil (I think he was on 45k/week)

Saha played 74 games during this time yet Saha, yet everyone does not blame Ole, yet rubbish Saha for getting injured! Fans are really a fickle lot :rolleyes:

Yes he is always going to be a legend due to '99 but..

In the last four years he played 35 times so that works out to getting around 10mil (I think he was on 45k/week)

Saha played 74 games during this time yet Saha, yet everyone does not blame Ole, yet rubbish Saha for getting injured! Fans are really a fickle lot :(

Yet no other player could read the game and come on with a positive impact like Ole.

Nice post, phresh. I'd like to add my own views but you've already stolen then all :unsure:

I'll only add that I thought Rio was immense last season and I would like to see him have the captain's armband.

Also, I'm so over this Ronaldo saga...I'm at the stage where I couldn't care less whether he stays or goes.

But hurry up with Berbatov already! He'll be a good poacher to have around the box, someone who won't come in too deep. A bit of a Ruud (fingers crossed).

Also worth noting that Evra was absolutely fantastic last season, he dispelled any doubts I had about letting Heinze go - he was fantastic in defence, even forcing Messi to cut inside, whilst adding a whole new dimension with his attacking skills. I think he's on par with any left back in the world.

So Ole the Legend finally got his testimonial today, and played the last 25 minutes of the game. We beat Espanyol 1-0 with a good goal from Frazier Campbell. Ole created a good few chances for himself, and was only denied a goal by a superb fingertip save from the keeper.

It really saddens me that we'll never see him in a Utd shirt again, yet knowing that he'll be coaching the young lads gives me hope for the future. May they develop the professionalism, dedication and most of all love that he has shown Utd for the last 11 years.

<_<

When the final whistle blew at Old Trafford on Saturday, an emotional Ole Gunnar Solskjaer took to the microphone to address Manchester United fans.

This is the full transcript of what he had to say:

“Thank you, thanks. I’ve had more than a year to think about this and it’s not getting any easier.

“I knew this was going to be my last game at Old Trafford and today you’ve been absolutely fantastic again. You’re the best supporters in the world.

“I’d like to thank Espanyol, who came over here and made a good game out of it. It was a good run-out for our boys.

"It’s a very important season for us and it was important that they got a good game.

“Next, I’d like to thank the manager. He’s been absolutely fantastic with me.

"He has guided me through my career – I’ve had my highs, I’ve also had my lows, and he supported me very well through that time.

"I can’t thank him enough. I’m going into coaching and if I haven’t learnt from him then I can’t do coaching. So thank you, boss.

“The players… I’ve played with the best players in the world. It’s easy being a forward when you play with these players. They create chances for you – you miss one, you get another one.

"I can’t say thanks enough to them – they’ve made every minute here a special one for me. And the last 25 here, I’ll remember for the rest of my life.

"It’s something my family, myself and all my friends will remember. It’s been a special day.

"Thanks to all the staff who have supported me, who have helped me through dark periods. Most of all to the supporters – you’ve been absolutely fantastic, you kept me going.

"And I’ve got the three loveliest kids in the world and a lovely wife. I’d like to thank them as well.

"Thanks, thank you very much.”

Don't most players do that these days?

I think the first high profile player to do it was Niall Quinn a few years back. From then on, if you didn't give to charity you look like a stingy cunt. I bet he's the most hated man in the room at the PFA Awards. <_<