The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

You lot 😂 I’m outta this thread and when (if) this is official I’m gonna crack open a bottle of champers and enjoy every single second of the adrenaline rush

56 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Are you serious?! One of the top 2 players in the world still, an unmatched goal scorer, a perfect role-model, a proven winner who will drive forward the dressing room and want to win at all costs. He’s exactly what we need right now. Cavani will be missing loads of games through international duty, Ronaldo would be a fucking excellent signing. Like, stop and actually think about it.

Yep - he can show Pogba how to finally get the move he's seemingly wanted for 3 years by just saying he has not intention of playing again ;)

Greenwood and Rashford would definitely benefit from seeing how Ronaldo goes about his work, prioritising goals above all else. Others will benefit from seeing his single-minded professionalism.

"Role model" is clearly a bit wide of the mark in some regards, but as a template for how to be a ruthlessly effective footballer, there aren't many better.  

If it happens and Pogba gives him the passes, that could be a devastating combination.

1 hour ago, fatbob said:

IF they sign Ronaldo at 36 and don't buy a midfielder, that seems daft.

It doesn't seem daft - it is daft. For all his qualities, Ole's sentimentality often gets the best of him. United's long-term health is best-served several ways other than a short-term signing of a 36 year old to play in positions where we are well-stocked.

It's double-galling if it happens, because we've been denied a midfielder by hardballing over Lingard, to the point that West Ham spent the money elsewhere. 30m wasn't 'just available' but would be for Ronaldo? As much an example of Glazernomics in action as replacing him with Valencia in 2009.

All this stands even if he scores 40 goals a season and United clean up. And it's nothing against him personally - he's always been great to work with - but United's health matters most.

6 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It doesn't seem daft - it is daft. For all his qualities, Ole's sentimentality often gets the best of him. United's long-term health is best-served several ways other than a short-term signing of a 36 year old to play in positions where we are well-stocked.

Do you honestly believe that OGS wants to sign Ronaldo and not a holding midfielder?

7 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Do you honestly believe that OGS wants to sign Ronaldo and not a holding midfielder?

He can't sign a holding midfielder. He wants to but his hands are tied unless there are outgoings. He could turn down Ronaldo, but won't for sentimental reasons as much as kowtowing to upstairs.

Re: Nakamura. Players don't have a fixed value. Ronaldo is worth less to United in the same way as Lukaku wouldn't be of as much value to Dortmund as to Chelsea. He's the solution to a problem United don't have, and even if he van Persie's United to something this season, it's only papering over what's lacking. Maybe worth remembering, for all his fitness, Inter ended Juve's domination of Serie A last season.

Silly season, and everyone going giddy, but it's not what the squad sorely needs.

:lol:

I fucking love that formation @Dark Soldier suggests. I hope we play that for one game this season just for a laugh.

Where signing Ronaldo makes some sense is when you consider the covid and travel situation surrounding Cavani.  If he plays for Uruguay, the isolating he would have to do would mean he misses an awful lot of games.

I think it is driven to quite an extent by sentiment, but I'm kind of sentimental too, so I am excited by the idea, possibly against my better judgement.  

The more winners you put in your squad the more chance you have of winning something. Him and Verane are hardly going to freeze in the Europa League final like one or two did last season.

11 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

De Gea

Varane

Maguire

Shaw

Rashford

Pogba

Bruno

Sancho

Ronaldo

Greenwood

Cavani

Give a shit about defence. 7-5 wins please

n52DI1z.png

I'm confused as to where they'll fit Dan James?

The squad needs a DM, Ole isn't blind to it, but I think the only way we get someone like Saul in is on a loan spell initially. I know this has been mooted, but talk around has that died down somewhat, especially since the deal with Ronaldo back to United has been mooted.

The idea of Ronaldo coming back is driven by sentiment on my part, like most United fans I'm sure, but I would love it! You don't make your team worse by bringing in proven winners and leaders.  I'd be looking forward to hopefully seeing the benefit of his experience and approach to the game rub off on the younger lads like Greenwood, Elanga, Marcus and Sancho, who can only get better by working closely with someone who has won it all in club football.

Seeing as it's all past now, guess there's no harm in spilling beans. Been spilled elsewhere anyway.

United were going to bring in Tchouaméni from Monaco, provided Monaco were knocked out of Europe this week, which they were. Unfortunately the money earmarked for this was the Lingard fee from West Ham, and they dawdled over 5m to the point that West Ham fucked them off and spent it on Zouma. Therefore, no Tchouaméni.

Accountswise a loan for Saul could still be done, but maybe not with Ronaldo coming in. That a fee is being found for Ronaldo when it wasn't being provided for improving the midfield is ridiculous for a club endlessly spouting nonsense about 'steady building'.

• Xevious changed the title to The old Man Utd Thread
  • Xevious locked this topic