IGNORED

The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

So Anderson's on his way out.

I know you lot all love him. I've never been a fan. Far too inconsistent and doesn't score goals. Shame Lyon got rid of Benzema in the summer if a swap deal is on the cards.

Its all about the bum man, all about the bum...

If we were to let him go to Lyon I think it would be a massive mistake, and for that reason I'm saying its nonsense.

For what its worth, according to Ben Hibb' Twitter SAF as said Anderson is in the squad for Sunday but didn't discuss why Anderson hasn't been in the squad for the last 2 games.

keep him or not i could not care less - i used to like him but 1 goal in 100 for any player is poor. Our central midfield is the weakest part of our squad - scholes. hargreaves, carrick, fletch and ando going into next season is poor. If we can get rid of hargreaves, anderson and scholes may retire at the end of the season then we will need to sign someone big and I cant think of anybody realistic.

If we just had a decent attacking midfielder who could score i.e fabreagas, lampard, gerrard we would be devastating.

Scholes has already signed an extension for next year as far as i'm aware.

I get the feeling the tiff with Anderson is similar to the one at the start of the season. He looked happy enough in the pictures of the squad training today for what it's worth.

What about all this talk today that this football club broker guy, Keith somebody (forgotten his surname), is in talks with potential take over bids for United? The club has released some statement about how profitable they are, how the money for Ronaldo is available for Fergie to spell blah blah. Hope there is someone stable and actually with a few pound trying to get the club sorted out again.

Just watching football focus, apparently Keith Harris is on board to broker a takeover bid by the 'Red Knights' - a group of United supporting investors.

MagKeithHarris.jpg

Seriously though, the guy (not the puppeteer) has brokered a lot of football club takeovers, and if its a realistic plan then there could be light at the end of the tunnel, assuming the Glazers want to sell.

Has this been in the openly in the works for a while? As I think its the first i've heard of anything even slightly realistic materializing.

EDIT: Late, shouldn't have done the picture. :)

Seriously though, the guy (not the puppeteer) has brokered a lot of football club takeovers, and if its a realistic plan then there could be light at the end of the tunnel, assuming the Glazers want to sell.

Has this been in the openly in the works for a while? As I think its the first i've heard of anything even slightly realistic materializing.

I'm incredibly dubious in honesty. You look at his track record in failing to finalise similar deals with Everton and Newcastle and wonder just why he couldn't sort them. I've heard he oversaw Lerner and Ambramovich which are probably seen as favourable right now. How about Shiniwatra and the Icelandic at West Ham, he brokered them too, they were nothing short of disastrous. He also fucked up getting the £120M back to league clubs when ITV Digital went belly up.

The practicality is the bond interest isn't going anywhere. We must pay 9% on £500M every year, with the £500M due in 2017. That's still £45M going out of the club that nothing can be done about. Well, I guess something can be done and the bonds can be bought off the holders like a share in a PLC, but surely if The Red Knights want to buy them all then surely there value would go up and they'd well overpay to buy back the £500M worth of bonds.

The biggest issue though is the Goons simply won't sell. They can take hundreds of millions in dividends so where's their incentive to sell, unless the buyer offers silly money (well above a billion which won't happen) then they're not going anywhere. I really can't see a fan group of thousands paying a few K being able to muster enough to buy it if it's cheap, never mind when you remember the leeches will want a profit. I definitely can't see rich people pissing money up the wall to massively overpay.

The other things that alarm:

-where were they in 2005 when it was cheaper and easier?

-why haven't Liverpool been sorted in a similar manner if it's so easy?

Not that I have a solution mind, well bar the pie in the sky boycott.

It will be interesting to see how the 'Green and Gold' campaign continues. A boycott is obviously the quickest way to hurt them in terms of match day revenues but the campaign could have an effect on revenue from merchandising and more importantly the 'Manchester United' brand image. The latter is especially important when it comes to overseas revenue.

Personally I agree with Bowser, I can't see them selling and the bond issue confirms that in my eyes. On the flip side they can't sell the Bucanneers for shit so they might decide to take the money on offer here (not that they would get more than a few hundred million) and use it elsewhere.

Liverpool's situation is slightly different as the club needs investment for a new ground. Once United have been bought (and debts paid off in the process) we are completely self-sufficient. The profits alone should support player investment of up to £50 million a year, and thats without including player sales.

Yeah. I think the best case scenario is that one day they list the club on the stock market again, and MUST members snap up about 5-10%. Big ask, even for that. I actually hope the Glazer's hold onto some stock of the club, maybe about 25%, they've left the football to the football people. If only they had more money.

Best scenario is four or five major shareholders, with a decently sized supporters coalition.

*edit*

I just looked up Arsenal's shares. Apparently only three shares belong to their supporter's trust. Of course, there must be way more small holdings by fans, but they don't appear to vote as a block. Why can't we do it like Real Madrid and Barcelona do?

Anyone listen to the David Gill interview on 5 live today? A lot of money man nonsense talk. Saying the club is still in a great financial position. Think he called the demonstrations ridiculous. Also is standing firm on the line that the money from the Ronaldo sale is definitely there for Fergie to buy players with contrary to what numerous other pundits have said. Gill also said that he is 100% certain that Carrington and Old Trafford would never be sold.

He seemed to dismiss the idea of Utd being on 700million in debt. Said about how the PIK debt is solely that of the Glazers. Problem is that the interviewer didnt press him on the issue of exactly how much money the family is taking out of the club to pay their debt. The executive of the supporters trust responding afterwards noted that this is the major issue MUST have with the Glazers. He noted that under the bond issue it allows them to take something like 100 million out of the club in the first year and 500 million in the life spand of the bond.

It's hard to really understand the full workings of what is going on. Gill certainly avoided any questions directly relating to the Glazers, basically saying ask them even tho the inteviewer noted that they have no intention of ever giving an interview to the press. Got myself a Green and Gold scarf though. The continuing increase in turnover Gill notes is because the match day fans are being milked for ever penny the club can extract. Unforuntately Im not one of them due to geographical location but it's my meager attempt to show a bit of solidarity.

Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Vermaelen, Clichy, Fabregas, Song Billong, Denilson, Nasri, Arshavin, Rosicky.

Subs: Fabianski, Walcott, Ramsey, Silvestre, Eboue, Traore, Bendtner.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Rafael Da Silva, Jonathan Evans, Brown, Evra, Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani, Rooney, Park.

Subs: Kuszczak, Owen, Berbatov, Giggs, Valencia, Gibson, De Laet.

Hmm, disappointing that Vidic isn't back as promised again, and Vermaelen starts.

Nani gets picked again, he really has impressed the boss eh.

So, apparently this match is being broadcast in 3D in nine pubs around the country, 2 of which are in Manchester. Does anyone know where these pubs are? I've had a quick look around, but they don't seem to be saying. Very strange. I thought it'd be something they'd want people to be able to actually find, seeing as they keep going on about it.

O'Shea's and Binary Bar. My mates are in O'Shea's it's fucking rammed.

Yeah, I can imagine. I thought it was invite only the way they've gone about hiding the locations.