The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I don't think Park has really worked in that position this half. He did it well against Milan because he was given a player to mark and generally had more space when he had the ball. With Liverpool's screening midfielders he has little space to maneouvre when he has the ball and no-one in particular to mark when he doesn't have it. Wouldn't be surprised to see Giggs or Scholes replace him soon, we need more craft than guile in that area against Liverpool. Or maybe swap him around with Nani perhaps.

He's wonderful. He's dropped off Rooney, he's kept himself in space and available for the pass all game, really linking up the play fabulously. I was confused when SAF played him in the middle before, but he's quite good at it actually.

[much later...] Rooney off by a yard or two, but incredible ball by Park. Shame.

[even later...] Giggs on. Park out on the left, or just a straight swap with Nani? Also, Rafael should come on, as Babel will maul Neville.

[even even later...] Some crap defending in the 89th minute, and Torres and Benayoun both make glaring misses. Let off.

FIVE MINUTES ARGH

Park is just quality. Compare his performance to Gerrard, who was also behind the striker, linking with the midfield. Chalk and cheese.

As I suspected, Liverpool weren't so physical in the second half. If they'd carried on, someone would've been sent off. All in all, I think Howard Webb did very well. It's the type of game where you'll miss stuff, but he kept a lid on it.

Park is just quality. Compare his performance to Gerrard, who was also behind the striker, linking with the midfield. Chalk and cheese.

As I suspected, Liverpool weren't so physical in the second half. If they'd carried on, someone would've been sent off. All in all, I think Howard Webb did very well. It's the type of game where you'll miss stuff, but he kept a lid on it.

Funny that. They're not saying that in the Liverpool thread.

This is the park i want to see, he had dropped down a bit after his injuries but I always knew he had goals in him - he needs to get a consistent run out in the team, always should be ahead of Nani !!

He is such an underrated player with the usual 'hes hard working' cliches - but 5 league titles , 1 CL, and World Cup Semi finals shows he is a BIG GAME PLAYER

Nani was good today. You don't expect a winger to get the space to go on a proper run against a team like Liverpool, but him and Valencia both did well to work enough room for a cross, or to go inside and look for options there.

Blackburn are fucking useless.

For the first time ever, I am happy that El-Hadj Diouf scored. Lancashire woo.

Is Carragher immune to bookings? He's put in at least 3 challeneges worse than Torres' :)

Penalty was possibly a bit lucky but from the replay Mascherano is still pulling Valencia's arm inside the box.

I liked how Carragher pretty much hugging Rooney while completely ignoring Park for the second goal.

I ended up falling asleep listening to Blackburn - Chelsea on R5 and when I woke up I just assumed that I'd dreamt the Blackburn equaliser. I had to rush back from a video shoot to catch the start of the match. I hadn't really slept and as it was nearing kickoff time I kept thinking that I could hear the intro to 'This Is The One' just on the edge of my hearing. It was a bit odd.

Man United's Owen Hargreaves to play through the pain

Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves has admitted he may never be pain free despite making his comeback from a long-term injury.

The 29-year-old managed 45 minutes for the reserves last Thursday after 18 months out injured following major operations on both knees.

But the England international said: "I wouldn't say I am pain free and I don't know if I can play through it.

"I am still in the process of getting injections to try to manage the pain."

Hargreaves will feature in another reserve team fixture on Thursday as he nears a first-team return but he concedes that there is a chance he will never be fully clear of the problem.

:)

Nani signs new 4 year contract

A few months ago he was barely getting a look in and everyone was expecting him to be shipped off in the summer. At least he's showing signs of something these days, especially during that great little spell he had a while back, although that was when he was being played on the right, and Valencia kind of has that sewn up at the moment.

Red Knights Delaying Bid Till End of Season

The Red Knights consortium has revealed it is not planning to make a bid for Manchester United before the end of this season.

The group of United supporters has been vocal about a change of ownership at Old Trafford and is considering the feasibility of making a proposal.

A statement said: "We will continue to work on it but do not expect it to be done before the end of the season."

United are owned by the Glazer family, who paid £800m for the club in 2005.

But the level of debt United are in - now at £716.5m - has prompted unease over their ownership and supporters' groups have vented their frustration at the Americans.

The Red Knights, made up of wealthy United fans, has recruited the Japanese investment bank Nomura to help it put together a bid which will interest the Glazers, who for their part have said United are not for sale.

But the group, which includes Jim O'Neill, chief economist at Goldman Sachs, lawyer Mark Rawlinson and financier Keith Harris, says the number of fans willing to invest in a takeover bid is growing.

Their statement added: "The Red Knights have been liaising with the Manchester United Supporters Trust, and their representatives were at our first meeting on 2 March. They remain closely involved with our plans.

"On 12 March we involved Nomura as our adviser. Since then they have been speaking to and meeting many potential Red Knights who have contacted us since our interest was made public.

"These potential Red Knights have offered ideas and support and, with the help of this input, our plans have been developed further."

The Glazers, meanwhile, have insisted that the club is not for sale and manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been publicly supportive of the Americans.

But the 'Green and Gold campaign' has seen thousands of supporters wear the colours of United under their original guise of Newton Heath, with former United hero David Beckham donning a scarf after AC Milan's Champions League defeat at Old Trafford.

Nice post. Nani has been playing well, he's become far less frustrating to watch, and indeed makes a quietly solid contribution each game. Even on the left, though it doesn't seem to be his favoured position. Hargreaves sounds like his condition will need to be 'managed', like Ledley King. Bad news for England, as you can't play tournament football that way. For us, it's great news even if he can only be in about 20 games a season. The Red Knights are acting like fans, who don't want to get in the way of the football. Bodes well if they can make a successful bid over the summer.

Soo, just to start up this chat once again... obviously SAF doesn't have leaving on his mind, he's focused on the two trophies we still have in our grasp. His career record might well become even more impressive, but traditionally, he's not one to dwell on success or failure and just gets on with preparations for next season. That will be still be the case, even when he does leave his role as manager, as I doubt (health permitting) he will ever leave the club entirely. Like Bobby Charlton, he will undoubtedly remain a part of the club's hierarchy. I think his drive isn't close to gone yet, and his wife Cathy probably won't let him retire yet either. I don't think it's likely that he'll leave any time soon, but it will always remain a question.

When he does leave though, he won't announce it in advance because of what happened last time. The higher-ups will know in advance, arrange his replacement (if anyone could ever claim to be that), and one day over the summer he will be replaced by whoever. Obviously it will be a decision taken with SAF's consultation and blessing. I couldn't guess who he'll recommend, though Moyes and Mourinho stick out.