The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I know he gets a lot of love in this thread, but Berbatov did fuck all tonight.

He didn't exactly get much chance.

I was surprised Carrick was taken off instead of Scholes. Scholes was pretty much invisible in the second half.

He didn't exactly get much chance.

I was surprised Carrick was taken off instead of Scholes. Scholes was pretty much invisible in the second half.

Well I think Berbatov didn't do well because it was the wrong substitution to make.

Thinking positively, going into the second leg needing at least a goal might be beneficial, we need to go out and attack them and judging by tonight their defence is wobbly. Sitting at 1-1 or 1-0 up we might sit back more and allow them into the game.

I know he gets a lot of love in this thread, but Berbatov did fuck all tonight.

Did he have the chance to? We weren't seeing much of the ball by the time he was on, and when we did get it he wasn't given great service. Even so, putting him on at 1-1 was a mistake. Bayern were getting into a rhythm and had masses of possession, we needed more energy in midfield so we could disrupt that. Like I said, Scholes was getting tired too... when we lost the ball they just found it so easy to play through us as a result.

Not a great result, but given the performance probably more than we deserved. The prospect of having to attack, whilst dealing with Robben and Ribery on the break isn't great, if we can't keep the ball better than today we'll be up against it.

The curse of scoring too early, it totally fucked our game plan.

I cannot see Rooney's injury being too bad, he just seemed to roll over his ankle. Although his reaction didn't look good.

We are up against it for the second leg but we have the away goal and hopefully it'll be a different stort at OT

Right, so what could we do against Chelsea. Rooney is probably out, Scholes looked knackered, and Neville gave more evidence that he should not be playing football. So... I suggest

Nani Berba Valencia

Giggs    Fletcher

Carrick

Evra               Rafael

Rio  Vida

VDS

Fletch and Giggs will need to get forward well for that to work. Certainly doable, if we perform like we know we can. Chelsea's defence has been a bit dodgy, and they don't have Essien of course.

Fucking arse! - maybe.

My Corals betting slip has Baynern to WIN.. but its a 91 min win.

WILL THEY HONOUR IT?

i bet.. not :)

Normally when it's "To win within 90minutes" it includes injury time as it's referring to 90 minutes of in-play

Rooney thing seems a sprained ankle. His reaction was more about watching Bayern score. If it was any kind of break he would probably know having been there before and not hobble anywhere - just demand a stretcher. Putting any weight at all on a fracture or tear would be all kinds of no.

Probably miss saturday but that's life and better than being out for the season or even the world cup - if they beat chelsea without him they'll just deserve the Premiership that much more.

Rooney thing seems a sprained ankle. His reaction was more about watching Bayern score. If it was any kind of break he would probably know having been there before and not hobble anywhere - just demand a stretcher. Putting any weight at all on a fracture or tear would be all kinds of no.

Probably miss saturday but that's life and better than being out for the season or even the world cup - if they beat chelsea without him they'll just deserve the Premiership that much more.

I hope you are right bark, but that wasn't my reading of it at all.

I wouldn't have minded the defeat to be honest, its a decent result given the way we played. Could have been a lot worse. Last fucking minute Rooney injures himself though, what bloody luck.

That was an abysmal performance. It would have been criminal to come away with anything from it. Instead the players (and Sir Alex for those poor substitutions) can now face ridicule right up until a necessary backlash on Saturday against Chelsea.

All things considered, 1-2 is a pretty decent result for the 2nd leg, not that there's any reason to be confident of going through after watching a display like that.

No, but only because when I really look forward to a game it ends up being shit.

I've learnt my lesson. No more optimism from me in here again.

Pretty dreadful, wasn't it? Reminded me of three or four years ago when we couldn't win away in Europe for a few seasons, every match was slow and overflowing with the inability to pass or play with any speed. Obviously started well, thought we did good for 20 minutes and then absolutely nothing. The manager was clearly peeved at half time, hell he was on the touchline before then but he got no reaction at all which was disapointing.

What must be taken as probably the only positive is the actual scoreline, we played badly enough to be buried. We had a fair few chances to score, so given that we surely can't be as bad next week. Can we? I'd say we're still favourites even if we don't have Rooney, but what was most galling was failing to make the most of their two dreadful centrebacks. Being at home, knowing we must win rather than cruise on the back of an early away goal must surely point to a better performance.

That they did. Thing is, you'd think being the home side and so dominant for so long you'd have hoped to be more than one up, especially considering it came in the last minute as the result of an error from an uncharacteristic source. I seriously doubt Evra will repeat such an act, what about the odds on the performance of their two next week?

Still, Thursday night it must be five and all, great big winky smiley.

Dunno, they do make stuff up sometimes.

Wayne Rooney is facing between two and four weeks on the sidelines with a sprained ankle, Sky Sports News understands.

Thats usually what they say when they are guessing.