The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Apparently the stuff they were saying earlier is the club's initial diagnosis, and that they are sending him for a scan tomorrow.

I guess the fact that he isn't getting a scan today points to the fact that it isn't massively serious.

I told you, if I look forward to a game it's dreadful. I will definitely not be looking forward to Saturday or Wednesday.

Seriously though I do think we have what it takes to beat Bayern at home, and sufficiently to progress - hopefully last night will put a rocket under some of the players and prevent further complacency

We were crap but the performance was no worse than the away match with AC Milan. The only diffence there was we got somuch more space it was practically impossible to not carve something out. I actually though Rooney was gash, he scored at both ends and that was pretty much it. His passing was poor, he fluffed some decent chances and was probably a bit lucky to escape a red card for kicking Pranjik (or whatever his name is). Neville has done well recently but he's turning into Lauren Blanc, it doesn't matter how well you position yourself if you've got the turning circle of an oil tanker you will get skinned. I still think we'll go through, Bayern will play defensively and I there is no way we will sit as deep as we did last night.

It didn't effect the result but the ref was such a cock. Both teams were trying to play attacking football and he seemed intent on stopping it at every opportunity. Both teams got a string of free kicks for complete non-challenges. You don't mind refs taking control of physical games where teams are out to hurt each other but all he has done is take what could have been an awesome game and make it worse that it might have been.

I don't think Rooney's injury is going to effect our league form much, Berbatov has been in good form in the league and it would be great to see Macheda get some games as he'll get goals with some game time.

I don't think Rooney's injury is going to effect our league form much, Berbatov has been in good form in the league and it would be great to see Macheda get some games as he'll get goals with some game time.

How do you work that out? He accounts for half our goals and a lot of the play goes through him. Our setup this season is built around him as a center-forward.

Berbatov has been good recently, but he isn't going to replace what Rooney does either in goals or as a play-maker, he still needs to perform against Chelsea and Bayern, not Bolton and Wolves. Macheda is an option, but i really wouldn't put my faith in him scoring regularly.

I'd be surprised if by the time Rooney is back, we are top of the league and still in the CL.

We nearly always find a way to score and I can't see that suddenly changing. I'm not saying it won't have any effect at all but I just don't have that gut feeling that we'll struggle without him the same way I would have if it was Fletcher missing.

Our back four takes care of itself and we can be confident of a solid defence through this run in. Despite missing Rooney I'm confident our attack will create chances against any defence, yes we'll be less effective going forward, but the players we've got have the quality.

Our team has played really well for a while up until last night and I'm sure the rest of the players can continue to do that. Once Rooney gets back from injury he'll be fresh, boost the team and hopefully eager to make up for lost time.

Interesting stats from Martin Tylers column on Sky Sports. Its the minutes on pitch per goal, for players that have scored over 10 this season in the league.

Torres: 18 goals in 1,641 minutes = 91.7 minutes per goal

Rooney: 26 goals in 2,472 minutes = 95.1 minutes per goal

Drogba: 95.8 minutes per goal

Tevez: 122.1

Defoe: 123.6

Berbatov: 139.7

Bent: 142.9

Fabregas: 145.9

Saha: 148.2

Lampard: 157.5

Malouda: 166.3

Agbonlahor: 224.6

Torres is the most prolific striker which probably doesn't surprise many people, and neither will any of the top 3. But the one I am interested in is number 6...Berbatov. Thats pretty good for someone who "is crap" or "doesn't score". One that is missing on the list is the one that I like to bring up to any Chelsea fan that bitches about Berbatov, and that is Anelka. 2254 mins on the pitch, 8 goals. Thats a whopping 281.75 mins per goal! Noone can argue with the facts. :(

Aren't the vast majority of Berba's goals over the past 2 seasonsagainst either shitty opposition, easy tap-ins or just putting the gloss on a 4-0 win? I struggle to think of many times he's, say, scored the opening goal against top opposition or scored a special goal.

I don't see what your point is there, doesn't every other player in the PL have to play the "shitty" opponents too?! The point that his goalscoring record is still very good, about 2 in 3 games. If you want to be pedantic about the whole thing, against the top 8 teams, Torres has only scored 4, Rooney, Fabregas and Kuyt 5, Bent, Bellamy, Lampard and Saha 6 and Drogba has 8. So by your logic Kuyt, Bent and Bellamy are better than Torres? Because Torres hasn't been as prolific against the top opposition?!

Catch a grip. Some people will do anything to knock Berbatov.

If I didn't fear tempting fate, I'd totally put a bet on Macheda scoring the winner tomorrow and effectively winning the league for us two years running. We daren't dream it, but every neutral knows it's inevitable.

As it is, £20 on Chelsea to win for me, fate-tempting bastard that I am.

I have never seen Berbatov penetrate a decent defense in a high level match. Never.

He's Mr. Showboat with a bit of space but if he's well marked he's about as good as Mido.

I think you're going to have to be a pretty sensational player to score and perform when you don't even play.

Loads of people keep bashing that stat over Berba's head about who he's scored against- you tell me, how many games has he started against "better" opposition this season? Maybe he's shit and the manager doesn't trust him, or maybe the team has a set way of playing in said games that involves one striker.

But, yeah, he had absolutely no influence in the Cup Final and didn't score against Everton away.

ckny- Was watching SSN late one night, they do that thing with what's in tomorrow's papers. One clever bunch of bastards had England 1-0 Utd, on the basis he'll have a rest and be back 100% for England. What a shame it'd be if we rushed him back and he was to suffer a reoccurence a month down the line leaving him with a nice summer break and fully raring to go come August. Or, if he does his usual thing of taking a few games to recover from injury and get back to full speed which is possibbly more likely if it is more like the 4-5 weeks they're hoping for than the 2 we are.

If I didn't fear tempting fate, I'd totally put a bet on Macheda scoring the winner tomorrow and effectively winning the league for us two years running. We daren't dream it, but every neutral knows it's inevitable.

As it is, £20 on Chelsea to win for me, fate-tempting bastard that I am.

Yeah me too

Ha haa! Its not ideal but if we finsh fourth and win the Uefa Cup I'd not be too pissed off. Finshing second and winning the Carling Cup however.......! :facepalm::quote:

Aye, long gone are the heady days when you can finish second, winning nothing and then it be "our year next year".

Now it's back to being Boro of old or something, where a win or controversial loss against Utd and Cup run is the only thing that can perk up the same old, same old of hoping somebody will stop Ferguson rather than being in a position to do it yourself.

I wasn't suggesting he would play, only meaning that he was finally available in theory.

But they took him out of the reserves pretty sharpish to train with the first team a few weeks back, so I guess he is pretty close.