The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Berbatov is not good. I don't care if he scores in lots of nothing games. He cannot seem to stamp his authority over any defence except the kind of deflated porous ones you find at the bottom of the table. I think he is flattered by the team mates around him. I'd love to see him thrown to Stoke or somewhere and see his goal tally at the end of that season. His positioning is just off, he never seems to find space - he has exceptional ball control and makes some lovely passes but as a striker I can't remember the last time he made a goal from nothing as someone like Torres does game in game out.

Man U need a striker next season.

Obviously he is when he's in the top scorers, and the best second striker in the Premiership. He's suited to a 4-4-2 though, most definitely so would need Diouf/Macheda to partner him.

Don't refer to them in that name again, Man United, United, Manchester United, never what you just said.

Shocking decision, but so was allowing Macheda's goal to stand. Anelka should've had a penalty and arguably Park should've had one too. So I reckon things evened themselves up - draw wouldn't have been fair on Chelsea who took the game to you.

Gotta say though, you're a totally different prospect without Rooney and I think you may end up crashing out the CL on Wed and finishing 3rd. I just hope he's back to full fitness in time for the World Cup!

Hardly, it's still difficult to see if Kiko's goal was a handball, but if you take that away, what about the other penalty call for the handball? It doesn't even out, especially so with the robbing at the Bridge.

Gotta say you're not the first to write us off, won't be the last, but we'll carry on disproving you all.

Yeah, Kiko's was handball, fair doos :D

Fair play for posting that.

Hardly, it's still difficult to see if Kiko's goal was a handball, but if you take that away, what about the other penalty call for the handball? It doesn't even out, especially so with the robbing at the Bridge.

Gotta say you're not the first to write us off, won't be the last, but we'll carry on disproving you all.

Pretty sure even Martin Tyler's monkey mentioned it 'brushed his hand' on the first replay, although that was apparently within the rules of the game. I haven't got MOTD here and there was no analysis or slow motion replay of it on ESPN - they literally didn't mention the possibility of handball even though every time I've seen it full speed it looks as if Macheda used both his arms to control it into the net. Instead they harped on about the offside goal (which made it 2-0 remember) and let Mr Ferguson moan away about officials costing him the match - the media bias is unbelievable sometimes. Did you hear Tyler cream himself when Berbatov had that volley at the end of the game?!

Anyway the Anelka penalty was clear cut - Park one less so as he left his foot behind and dived, but I think that should've been a penalty also. The handball penalty call was ball to hand - never normally a penalty, though I was as surprised as you it wasn't given at Old Trafford. Neville should've been sent off before the end of the game - not only his challenge on Anelka but an extremely cynical foul around the half way line later in the game - these were both clear 2nd yellow cards.

So yeah to complain about being robbed by the ref (& things not 'evening out') is extremely rich - over the season Manchester United consistently get more big decisions go their way, year after year, than any other team. And if the game yesterday was reffed strictly according to the laws of the game you'd still have lost. Would've been a different story if you had Rooney, but you didn't and don't.

I think now that the league is beyond you, but to be fair I still think you have a chance in the CL. Don't cry if you don't win either though - it happens.

Macheda should start along side Berbs against Munchen.

He's a big lad and he's got no fear. Which is exactly what we need when we're 2-1 down.

I think the league will take another twist before the end of the season, but City will be motivated to put that final nail in the coffin.

Pretty sure even Martin Tyler's monkey mentioned it 'brushed his hand' on the first replay, although that was apparently within the rules of the game. I haven't got MOTD here and there was no analysis or slow motion replay of it on ESPN - they literally didn't mention the possibility of handball even though every time I've seen it full speed it looks as if Macheda used both his arms to control it into the net. Instead they harped on about the offside goal (which made it 2-0 remember) and let Mr Ferguson moan away about officials costing him the match - the media bias is unbelievable sometimes. Did you hear Tyler cream himself when Berbatov had that volley at the end of the game?!

Anyway the Anelka penalty was clear cut - Park one less so as he left his foot behind and dived, but I think that should've been a penalty also. The handball penalty call was ball to hand - never normally a penalty, though I was as surprised as you it wasn't given at Old Trafford. Neville should've been sent off before the end of the game - not only his challenge on Anelka but an extremely cynical foul around the half way line later in the game - these were both clear 2nd yellow cards.

So yeah to complain about being robbed by the ref (& things not 'evening out') is extremely rich - over the season Manchester United consistently get more big decisions go their way, year after year, than any other team. And if the game yesterday was reffed strictly according to the laws of the game you'd still have lost. Would've been a different story if you had Rooney, but you didn't and don't.

I think now that the league is beyond you, but to be fair I still think you have a chance in the CL. Don't cry if you don't win either though - it happens.

MOTD is available on Piratebay if that's any help? I've watched it a few times and it looks as if it comes off of his chest and there is a possibility of an arm, but he doesn't move it to try and punch it in, for example - but to me, it doesn't look it. If the offside goal wasn't given, then the attitude of the players and the way the game would have been played would be different, so there's no accounting for what could have happened. I didn't see the Neville challenge at the end, just mentioned it so you know I'm not ignoring your point!

Like which decisions? Stamford Bridge was another match in which we were screwed over despite being the better team. Don't agree, because if the second goal wasn't given then we'd have had a different match on our hands. What does Rooney make a difference for? Didn't help at the Bridge.

Even fans are writing us off now, we're well in the title race, despite us essentially waiting for Chelsea to drop some more points. Why would I cry, tiny tears?

MOTD is available on Piratebay if that's any help? I've watched it a few times and it looks as if it comes off of his chest and there is a possibility of an arm, but he doesn't move it to try and punch it in, for example - but to me, it doesn't look it. If the offside goal wasn't given, then the attitude of the players and the way the game would have been played would be different, so there's no accounting for what could have happened. I didn't see the Neville challenge at the end, just mentioned it so you know I'm not ignoring your point!

Like which decisions? Stamford Bridge was another match in which we were screwed over despite being the better team. Don't agree, because if the second goal wasn't given then we'd have had a different match on our hands. What does Rooney make a difference for? Didn't help at the Bridge.

Even fans are writing us off now, we're well in the title race, despite us essentially waiting for Chelsea to drop some more points. Why would I cry, tiny tears?

My home internet is too slow to download any videos unfortunately - using crappy mobile internet (best option here).

You're right you never know what would've happened if the 2nd goal was disallowed, but on balance Chelsea deserved the 3 points and there's no way you can seriously suggest Man United got a poor deal from refs yesterday or over the course of the season. In fact it's quite the opposite.

The thing is, our defence has been great all season (well, apart from Neville) because we have excellent cover. If we're ravaged by injuries, we still look pretty solid. Given we have Carrick playing CB at one point, our record is astounding. If only we had the same cover, and ability to rotate in attack. We did, just a season ago, and probably still would if it wasn't for the debt. We knew Tevez's price for a full two years. Sure, he wasn't playing every game, but how many goals did he score for us, how many games did he win for us? I know a takeover won't change things overnight, but it cannot happen soon enough.

One thing I wondered looking at the team sheet before the game was, what's the thinking of dropping Carrick to the bench against Chelsea? Has he been out of form recently, because for me when I've seen United at their best it's with Carrick helping retain possession to help dominate midfield and supply the odd killer ball for the strikers / wingers to run onto... I genuinely thought alongside Fletcher he was your most important midfielder.

We knew Tevez's price for a full two years. Sure, he wasn't playing every game, but how many goals did he score for us, how many games did he win for us?

Last season? Apart from in the Carling Cup not many at all. Even if we did keep Tevez he would still have been behind Rooney in a 4-3-3 (and Berbatov in a 4-2-2). I'd have been happy with him as cover obviously but I really couldn't be arsed with another season of him complaining about not playing. Owen getting injured was probably inevitable but Macheda has now spent what, 4+ months of the season injured?

One thing I wondered looking at the team sheet before the game was, what's the thinking of dropping Carrick to the bench against Chelsea? Has he been out of form recently, because for me when I've seen United at their best it's with Carrick helping retain possession to help dominate midfield and supply the odd killer ball for the strikers / wingers to run onto... I genuinely thought alongside Fletcher he was your most important midfielder.

He's been in and out of form all season, poor at the start followed by a decent-ish run after xmas but has been woeful against both Liverpool and Bayern. My guess is he's just being rested for Wednesday as we're not exactly blessed with a load of fit central midfielders at the moment.

Even if we did keep Tevez he would still have been behind Rooney in a 4-3-3 (and Berbatov in a 4-2-2).

I doubt we'd rather play with 9 players than play him :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...y-bayern-munich

Wayne Rooney has been tipped to make a shock return for Manchester United ahead of Wednesday's crucial Champions League match against Bayern Munich.

The striker was expected to be out for at least two to three weeks after he injured ankle ligaments in last week's first leg in Germany, which United lost 2-1. However, according to reports last night, Rooney has responded well to treatment and could be in line for a surprise recall to Sir Alex Ferguson's squad if he comes through a training session today.

Rooney has been wearing a protective boot on his injured leg since hobbling off at the end of last week's defeat in Munich. Ferguson will not risk the England forward if there is a chance of aggravating the injury further and last night United's medical staff attempted to play down the chances of a comeback by only rating his chances of playing as "40%".

Rooney's return would be a boost for a United side that lost 2-1 to Chelsea in the Premier League without him on Saturday. They now trail Carlo Ancelotti's side by two points with five games left to play.

You must be blind if you've watched it multiple times and can't see Macheda's goal was a handball.

There shouldn't be any fuss over it imo; the decisions evened themselves out, Chelsea scored the only legal goal in the game for me. Besides, they were the better team.

Aye, to his credit the referee was consistently shit to both teams.

Sign Joe Cole. :P

Nothing to fear with Alan Partridge playing right back.

In many ways it is a marvel he is still playing. Ferguson credits it to Neville's "remarkable will to succeed", pointing out that the catalogue of ankle, calf and thigh injuries would have finished another player's career.

At times it can leave Neville open to ridicule. One former team-mate tells the story of United's players boarding a flight after one European trip and, while everyone else plugged in their iPods and DVD players, Neville embarked on a series of 'shuttle' runs along the aisle. "My preparation for Saturday starts now," Neville is said to have announced.

Then there is the story in Lee Sharpe's autobiography of the rest of the team sitting in the canteen, drinking tea, while Neville was outside, throwing a ball against the gym wall, as hard as he could, over and over again. Thud, thud, thud. "Practising long throw-ins, Gary Neville's idea of fun," Sharpe writes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...e-franck-ribery

I really don't see how anyone can continue to say that Chelsea deserved to win on Saturday. I'm not going to complain about offside goals or whatever but just the pure facts. Chelsea were easily on top in the first half, but the opposite was true in the second. We had more shots, shots on target, possession and a higher pass completion than Chelsea over the course of the game. If we can replicate the second half performance tonight I am fully confident of a win. Replace Neville with Rafael and Scholes with Macheda and I will be very happy.

I really don't see how anyone can continue to say that Chelsea deserved to win on Saturday. I'm not going to complain about offside goals or whatever but just the pure facts. Chelsea were easily on top in the first half, but the opposite was true in the second. We had more shots, shots on target, possession and a higher pass completion than Chelsea over the course of the game. If we can replicate the second half performance tonight I am fully confident of a win. Replace Neville with Rafael and Scholes with Macheda and I will be very happy.

They deserved to win because they scored more goals than you did!