The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed that Hernández had been bought with the money raised from the sale of Cristiano prick Ronaldo the previous summer, he told the media, Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I am delighted to reach agreement with Chivas to bring such an exciting young striker, who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country. He will be a great addition to our squad and we look forward to welcoming our first Mexican player in the summer. We are equally excited to play our first game in Mexico, opening the magnificent new Chivas Stadium in July."

We all expect him to become a better player than Lionel Messi.

He cost in the region of Eleventy Million pounds, a lock of Gary Neville's tash and a note from Kriss Akabusi containing naught but the word "Awooga"

there has been some concern by british immigration that Sir Alex Ferguson has not signed him as a footballer, but has instead signed him as a jockey due to him being a midgit

:D

The wikipedia page for him has been particularly enlightening. I expect it's been edited as I've posted this though.

TBB is from Leeds

That is true. Well done. But if you were from Leeds would you support that rabble of thugs? :lol:

(Besides, supporting Man Utd runs in the family. Has done since the 60s)

No reaction to this?

Manchester United have turned down the chance to sign David Villa, the Spain striker, because of the financial restrictions placed upon Sir Alex Ferguson by the club's ruling Glazer family.

Villa, one of the most revered forwards in the world during five prolific years at Valencia, is to leave the Mestalla in the summer and, after initially stating that he wanted to stay in Spain and move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, has changed his position with information reaching United in the last few weeks that they are his preferred destination.

Ferguson is a long-time admirer of the 28-year-old but Valencia want around £35m to £40m and United's position is that the fee will have to be lowered otherwise it will be financially prohibitive at a time when the club has accrued debts in excess of £700m. This is despite Ferguson's repeated insistence that the balance from the £80m sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid last summer is available, United having already spent £20m...

He probably wouldn't have considered coming to England a few seasons ago mind, but yeah VIlla would have done the trick nicely.

Not sure why people would be surprised that we couldn't afford £40 million for a player anyway, Smalling and that Pea chap are probably part of that.

It's a great policy; if you buy a player before he peaks, even if he doesn't work out for you, you can probably still recoup your investment as they will still be improving. It's too much of a risk to spend big money on a fading player.

If there is a takeover over the summer, we have to try and get Rodwell, David Silva and Benzema. Probably in my dreams, though. At least try and get Rodwell. I probably sound like a broken record now, but we probably would've bought at least one of those trio already if it wasn't for the debt.

If there is a takeover over the summer, we have to try and get Rodwell, David Silva and Benzema. Probably in my dreams, though. At least try and get Rodwell. I probably sound like a broken record now, but we probably would've bought at least one of those trio already if it wasn't for the debt.

Oh the debt, the debt. We've not spent insignificant sums since the Glazers took over you know.

There's no way we'll sign 3 potentially big name players as well as this new Mexican lad and Smalling - five new players would unbalance the squad surely?

Unfortunately, I doubt any of that will happen. Maybe Rodwell, but I doubt it. :wub:

I put them in order of my preference. I would be ecstatic if we brought in Rodwell. He probably wouldn't cost the earth, either.

We've only spent a net of about £30-40m (details of some transfers are sketchy, but it's in this range) in the five years since the Glazers took over. The Ronaldo sale distorts that a little, but it also shows that we have not used that sale to strengthen the squad. Last summer we sold Ronaldo, declined to buy Tevez, then signed Valencia (who admittedly has been great) and... Michael Owen. We still have a very good squad, but there are areas where we are thin. We need two forwards that can work either in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, and a central midfielder. Unfortunately, unless the Glazers sell, there will probably be little or no activity over the summer.

I put them in order of my preference. I would be ecstatic if we brought in Rodwell. He probably wouldn't cost the earth, either.

We've only spent a net of about £30-40m (details of some transfers are sketchy, but it's in this range) in the five years since the Glazers took over. The Ronaldo sale distorts that a little, but it also shows that we have not used that sale to strengthen the squad. Last summer we sold Ronaldo, declined to buy Tevez, then signed Valencia (who admittedly has been great) and... Michael Owen. We still have a very good squad, but there are areas where we are thin. We need two forwards that can work either in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, and a central midfielder. Unfortunately, unless the Glazers sell, there will probably be little or no activity over the summer.

.....or Ferguson is genuinely pleased with the shape of the squad and doesn't feel compelled to do by money changes every summer because it's a real football team and not Football Manager?

It's not like the Glazers were tight with the cash when it came to overspending on Berbatov

There is no way SAF would've let so much rest on Rooney's fitness if he had money. We lost two of our top three goalscorers of last season, and didn't replace them with anyone that seemed likely to score goals. You shouldn't make signings just for the sake of it, and apart from up front, and our squad is in great health generally. Three players would be the absolute most we would need.

Pretty sure that David Villa thing is tosh, as the player himself has stated on numerous occasions that he isn't going to leave Spain.

edit: hehe just read this bit "after initially stating that he wanted to stay in Spain and move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, has changed his position with information reaching United in the last few weeks that they are his preferred destination."

Madrid wouldn't pay the asking price for him last summer and got Benzelol instead. Barcelona presumably didn't fancy him either and preferred to spend eighty billion Euros on Ibrahimovic. So maybe he's had to re-assess things if Spain's big two aren't interested anymore? Or maybe it's just bollocks.

I can't see another big name striker coming in unless Berbatov leaves. The only way we will is if it is someone like Benzema who can play wider but I still can't see it happening.

The anchor midfield position has become the main issue for me. Carrick has been on a downward trajectory for nigh on two seasons now. Fletcher has proved brilliant in a more attacking box to box role and Anderson will never be a holding midfielder. Even if Hargreaves does get 'fit' he'll never be able to play the 40 plus games a season that Carrick has done so that leaves us without anyone at all to play that holding role that is so important in a 4-3-3 (slightly less so in a 4-4-2). I'd love to see someone like Cambiasso come in but I doubt that will happen. Keeper is obviously an issue as well although I think we are actually alright across the rest of the defense, there is simply no way we will have another season with such rotten injuries across the back 4.

Pretty sure that David Villa thing is tosh, as the player himself has stated on numerous occasions that he isn't going to leave Spain.

edit: hehe just read this bit "after initially stating that he wanted to stay in Spain and move to either Barcelona or Real Madrid, has changed his position with information reaching United in the last few weeks that they are his preferred destination."

Madrid wouldn't pay the asking price for him last summer and got Benzelol instead. Barcelona presumably didn't fancy him either and preferred to spend eighty billion Euros on Ibrahimovic. So maybe he's had to re-assess things if Spain's big two aren't interested anymore? Or maybe it's just bollocks.

Well Madrid and Barca don't want him. Arsenal, Liverpool can't afford him. Chelsea wouldn't want another 28 year old so that really leaves us if he wants his last big contract at a big club.

Will probably end up at City or stay at Valencia if they keep this asking price.