The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Haven't all the rumours about Bebe been that he's not very good and the coaching staff don't understand why he's been signed?

Yes and they seem to be just rumours started by the press for some reason. Ferguson seemed pretty annoyed about the whole thing and said it was more to do with his lack of fitness (I would imagine moving from the Portuguese third division to the Premier League would have different fitness levels) and that he was very raw.

I've managed to convince my other half that Bebe isn't allowed to take set pieces a few times now. Each time she asks why and I reply with the classic joke 'because no one puts Bebe in the corner'. She falls for it every time

:lol:

I am going to use that the first opportunity I get! Nice one!

Yes and they seem to be just rumours started by the press for some reason. Ferguson seemed pretty annoyed about the whole thing and said it was more to do with his lack of fitness (I would imagine moving from the Portuguese third division to the Premier League would have different fitness levels) and that he was very raw.

There have also been rumours that he was available for free (or very little) as recently as January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1308194/Bebe-blunder-Manchester-United-7-4m-signing-125k.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

I think it is just shitty reporting. "Hey check this out. If Man Utd signed Wayne Rooney when he was 12 they could have signed him for nothing. What a blunder!"

The fitness thing was probably only a half truth as he did have a pre-season under is belt and played for Portugal U21's after the reserve game he supposedly missed due to being rubbish (although the press completely ignored the fact that it contained a significant number of first team players in desperate need of a run out). It's probably true in the sense that his fitness levels over the last couple of years are unlikely to be of a high enough level to cope with the tempo of the game over here.

The stories about him being rubbish seem to stem from one report and although they could well be true any journalist will jump at the chance to portray this as a massive error (and criticise Ferguson) just as much as they will jump at the chance to write a 'rags to riches' story should he prove to be a success. You can understand Ferguson's anger though, a player who received next to no media attention before is now , 2 weeks after moving to United, being described as a failure by most of the British press.

There have also been rumours that he was available for free (or very little) as recently as January.

I think it is just shitty reporting. "Hey check this out. If Man Utd signed Wayne Rooney when he was 12 they could have signed him for nothing. What a blunder!"

It's probably true by all accounts, but as you say you could buy any player cheaper if you bought them before they were in demand. It's just 'worse' here because the timespan between being moved on for nothing and being in demand is so small.

Hopefully Ferguson is wrong but all the quotes from him this morning are suggesting that Valencia will likely be out for the rest of the season. We better pray Nani stays fit or we are proper fucked out wide. Lets hope someone steps up to the plate!

Are Cleverly and Welbeck both on season long loans or is there an option to bring them back in January?

I imagine there's a clause to recall them, and Cleverly would be preferred, but we've still got a couple of options. Nani, Obertan, Giggs.. and anyone we can sign in January. Looking at the reserves, all the potential players who could step up are on loan aside from Brady; Matty James just got injured playing for Preston, as did King, although the latter isn't a winger in the slightest.

So Valencia could be back by the end of Feb which is excellent news. It's a dislocation/fracture (with all the other damage that goes with it) but no break.

Hargreaves is nearing playing fitness. Again.

Bebe played his first reserves match yesterday. i didn't see it but the reports suggest the entire team was quite poor against a much better Villa side although Bebe was quite 'direct' which is at least something compared to the faffing around of Obertan and old-Nani.

No break? Awesome! Oh I saw 'new £7m United signing flops on debut' so many times walking home today. I think the media have just decided to say he's a failure before he's even had a chance to prove himself. Oh, and we should definitely bring back Welbeck if possible, his form coming from the left in pre-season was excellent, and he seems to have impressed at Sunderland already.

It seems that it was just the Daily Mail that has it in for Bebe, he put in some good crosses into dangerous areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFPBQ9UVUE

I'm a bit woried about the left wing, I have a feeling ferguson is just going to rotate Giggs and Park. Park has his uses (normally against the better sides) but against middling/poor teams he doesn't add enough going forward and I feel Giggs has more to offer from the middle. I'd like to see Obertan given a chance, he impressed me in preseason and seems to have a good understanding with evra everytime I've seen them play together.

I don't know how different it would be against PL opposition, but he's hitting those balls in almost too early for anyone to anticipate. He just shakes off the defender with ease and smacks it in. Hopefully if he was in the team for a spell, everyone would get to know what he's about, and our forwards would be making up the ground as soon as he gets the ball. He seems to have a few decent tricks and pace, and the way he hits a ball makes me sure he's got a handy finish on him too.

I think Obertan will definately get a chance in the PL with Valencia out. It will be a few sub appearances at first, and then maybe a start in a lower-key game. He needs to develop his overall game, as with many of our youngsters, but all the raw materials are there. Can't wait to see Anderson and Rio involved in a first team game, and of course Carrick will be back in a week or two. Hopefully we can build some momentum once the squad is beefed up a little.

So, tomorrow then, i'm assuming the team selection will be fairly similar to this.

----------------VDS

-----------Rio------Vidic

O'Shea----------------------Evra

------Scholes----Fletcher

Nani-----------------------Giggs

-----------Rooney

--------------Berbatov

Hopefully Berbatov will continue his form, Torres will continue his, and Reina and Rooney will swap forms.

EDIT: (That last sentence made more sense in my head - reading it makes it sounds like they are helping each other with their tax returns)

Team for today;

-----------------VDS---------------

O'Shea------Vidic----Evans-----Evra

Nani------Fletch----Scholes----Giggs

-----------Rooney---Berbatov-------

Liverpool playing a front 6 of Merieles, Poulson, Gerrard, Cole, Maxi and Torres so pretty much no width whatsoever considering I can't see their fullbacks getting forward too much. Puts a lot of pressure on Scholes and Fletcher though, I wouldn't be surprised to see either Rooney or Berbatov drop quote deep.

Man what do you think of nani doing that 'face holding' dive? Doesn't belong in this game!

No worse than all of the shirt tugging Liverpool have been doing. Luckily Berbatov scored though so Torres foul didn't have to be given as a penalty!

No worse than all of the shirt tugging Liverpool have been doing.

No worse than Rooney's arm around Skrtels neck, or jumping up on shoulders

None of these things are limited to these two clubs during these fixtures (both are pretty universal in any game anywhere in Europe), and Dizogg needs to drop the trolling of your thread

No I'm serious. The 'fall down holding face in agony' move was fucking really gay in the world cup and I don't want to see it. I have no problem with man utd scoring a deserved goal and I'm not 'trolling'.

If going into another teams thread just to bring up a dive (suggested or not) isn't trolling, I don't know what is

Doesn't really matter who did what imo, going down holding one's face is a shit thing to do and shouldn't be part of the modern game. It's shit when your own players do it and even shitter when the opponents do it.

But anyway... 1-0 HT :)