The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

We've always found going to the Reebok a tricky fixture. Picking up a point isn't too bad considering our closest rivals all picked up 0 yesterday.

That's very lowered expectations. If we want to win the league we have to take the chance to make the most of Chelsea's slip-ups because I don't forsee too many of them. 0 wins out of 3 away games and a crappy defence is not title winning calibre.

The gap was three points, now it's two points. I'm not satisfied but it'll have to do.

At this point last season, we were grinding out wins. I'm not sure why our defence has become shit all of a sudden. We need that solidity back while our attack gets its rhythm again.

The gap was three points, now it's two points. I'm not satisfied but it'll have to do.

At this point last season, we were grinding out wins. I'm not sure why our defence has become shit all of a sudden. We need that solidity back while our attack gets its rhythm again.

Was 4, now 3.

Watching MotD2, the Manchester United game is on at the moment and Nani is catching the eye again, it seems he is becoming the player that United paid all that money for which makes me wonder; what the fuck is going on with his partner in crime, Anderson?

I know he had that car crash in the summer and the internet tells me he came on as a sub against Liverpool last week and played all 90 minutes in the league cup on Wednesday night, but he has done next to nothing in his time at Old Trafford and he is just starting his fourth full season in England.

What do United fans make of him? Is he another Kleberson?

I didn't see MOTD2, but I watched the whole match and whilst Nani set up and scored a goal, he was very hit and miss with crosses and corners hitting the first defender, balls being played behind people and over-hitting them too. If he can concentrate more he's going to be formidable.

Anderson has been injured for the best part of this year, hopefully with the intention of learning something from Scholes and taking over with Fletch in the middle, Cleverley rotating. I like the guy, but we've seen nowt from him of late so I want to see him get a few run outs.

He had a very good first season for us, then his development slowed due to injuries, and pissing off the manger. At first his mature approach to his defensive responsibilities came as a shock to pretty much everyone I think, we signed him as more of an 'in the hole' type player. He was putting in Premier League performances from the off. He has excelled in deep roles, but when he pushes up his passing can be too ambitious, and he often seems out of sync with the other attacking players. He does not bear comparison with Kleberson though. He's only 22 and I want to see him build on his early promise.

Was a cracking goal from Nani although as ABC said his delivery was inconsistent. He's certainly carrying on his form from the end of last season though which is a massive bonus with Valencia out.

Anderson is a strange one, as Liamness said his first season was as good as could be expected for a 19 year old Brazilian playing in CM. He outplayed both Gerrard and Fabregas in matches against their respective clubs but failed to get any real consistency and injuries have hampered him somewhat, i don't think he was fit for even half of last season IIRC. There is always a niggling issue that he never seems to have quite recovered from the broken leg he got at Porto either, he's far from slow but if you watch the pre-injury clips on youtube he is lightning quick.

To absolve him of some blame though he's suffered as much as anyone with the constant rotating and changing within our midfield. It settled down slightly last season but the two seasons prior (despite the trophies!) it was all over the place. I wouldn't be surprised to see a big shake up of midfield next summer but whether he'll be part of that who knows. Either way he's proved to be better than Kleberson already!

Apparently Giggs is out for a few weeks so i'm sure Obertan will get his chance we'll see Park on the wing every game. <_<

I'd be mortified to see Park getting too many games - especially when we shipped out Tosic who I wanted to see start some games. Obertan has to start some, otherwise why did we buy him? Even give a match to him and Bebe and see how he does in the deep end. Whether that's worth the experiment no one knows, but I can't see Park holding his own on the left.

Yes. Although I'm the only one in this thread who sees it.

Obertan has to start some, otherwise why did we buy him?

Same reason we bought Dong. And Manucho. And Tosic. And the other youngsters we buy and then sell for twice the price. Obertan was plucked from obscurity, unwanted by Bordeaux. He wont make it at United.

We're very thin going into the Valencia game. No Giggs, no Rooney, and no Carrick along with the long-term injuries. Anderson will presumably be risked, and Scholes will play despite being used at the weekend. I think this is our best line-up;

VDS

Evans Vidic

Rafael Evra

Fletch

Scholes Anderson

Park Nani

Berba

If we line up in 4-4-2 with O'Shea at right back I will facepalm. The subs will be important, as there will be tired legs out there; Gibson is a dead cert to come on for Scholes, and I think some of the young attackers will have a role later in the game. Fabio could come on if we are winning, purely to harass the opposition in midfield.

So, No Neville, Scholes, Rooney or Giggs traveling to Spain for the game against Valencia tomorrow night. However, Rio, Carrick and Bébé do travel. Might get to see all 3 of them tonight!

Full Squad list from Ben Hibbs Twitter

Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Amos, Ferdinand, Vidic, Brown, Smalling, Evra, O'Shea, Evans, Rafael, Anderson, Nani, Bébé, Carrick, Gibson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez, Berbatov, Macheda, Owen

Thank God Neville isn't there although I still expect to see O'Shea or Brown start ahead of Rafael though :(

I expect we'll see Nani and Park playing alongside Berbatov and then Fletcher, Scholes and Gibson/Anderson in midfield. Personally i'd prefer it if Owen started up front with Berbatov although I can't see how that would fit in with the 4-3-3 we'll probably play.

Thank God Neville isn't there although I still expect to see O'Shea or Brown start ahead of Rafael though :(

I expect we'll see Nani and Park playing alongside Berbatov and then Fletcher, Scholes and Gibson/Anderson in midfield. Personally i'd prefer it if Owen started up front with Berbatov although I can't see how that would fit in with the 4-3-3 we'll probably play.

I don't think he's travelled

:facepalm:

Maybe Carrick will play or he could even drop Park back into midfield as he did a couple of times last year. No Obertan in that squad either, is he injured again?

Obertan played for the reserves last night against Blackburn in a 2-2 draw.

I'm hoping Carrick plays to be honest, we need him back and quickly. He's the only defensive minded player with have with the positional awareness (except Hargreaves) and I think a lot of our problems in conceding goals as come due to the lack of protection the back four are getting.

I'd go with a midfield 3 of Carrick, Anderson and Fletcher but I suspect Gibson might get the nod over either Carrick or Anderson. Park on the left and Nani on the right with Berbatov through the middle for me too.

Ahh, didn't realise their was a reserves game last night. Having Carrick, Anderson and Hargreaves (:hmm:) coming back is a real bonus, as you say I think a lot of our defensive problems stem from having very little protection in front of the back 4.

I'd prefer to see Nani on the right though, It won't make much difference which wing Park is on as he can't cross for shit anyway so i'd rather Nani stuck to where he's playing best.

It is generally agreed that if you want to bait, you do it in the general football thread. Kindly fuck off. :)

Yeah, come on, that wasn't baiting really. I don't do that in here anymore...Unless Do-dah, Do-dah does it first...