The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

With our recent frailties I think its a dead cert that we'll go with a 4-5-1. Valencia are in fantastic form too...

Playing anything less than three central midfielders is suicide against good opposition in Europe. The only question is where these three midfielders are going to come from. Anderson and Carrick won't both start, in case the both get injured early on or a lack of fitness is exposed, so Gibson will figure somewhere. Bébé will not play in this game, save for a run out at the end if we're winning. I would try

Fletch Carrick

Gibson

Nani

Chicharito

Berbatov

Same defence as I posted before. I don't think we have a really good left winger available (well, aside from Nani, who sadly cannot perform mitosis and operate on both wings), but Chicharito should be able to operate as a left inside forward, based on what I've seen of him. Fletch and Carrick/Anderson keeping things moving and not getting more involved than they need to. Gibson giving the ball away and making the occasional hopeful shot.

Playing anything less than three central midfielders is suicide against good opposition in Europe. The only question is where these three midfielders are going to come from. Anderson and Carrick won't both start, in case the both get injured early on or a lack of fitness is exposed, so Gibson will figure somewhere. Bébé will not play in this game, save for a run out at the end if we're winning. I would try

Fletch  Carrick

Gibson

Nani

Chicharito

Berbatov

Same defence as I posted before. I don't think we have a really good left winger available (well, aside from Nani, who sadly cannot perform mitosis and operate on both wings), but Chicharito should be able to operate as a left inside forward, based on what I've seen of him. Fletch and Carrick/Anderson keeping things moving and not getting more involved than they need to. Gibson giving the ball away and making the occasional hopeful shot.

I like the idea but I'd personally start with Park in the team. He's not been in good form of late but you know what you'll get from him, he'll work his socks off. I could see him starting in central midfield actually as I think he's not reliant on pace then (of which he hasn't got very much of) and can instead use his movement and intelligence to create space.

Not convinced of Hernadez as a winger either if I'm totally honest. Not sure if you watched the Scunthorpe game recently but he played in a similar position but on the right and he looked lost and a frustrated figure. I'm not sure his general play is up to scratch at this moment in time.

Our options are limited, so I guess that is an option as with Berbatov as the focal point we want to try surround him with pace.

I'm very much looking forward to the game. Hope we can get a result.

Team looks good! We finally have our defense looking back to normal: Evra, Rio, Vidic and Rafael. Fletcher, Carrick and Anderson in the middle and Park, Nani and Berba up front.

Nervous times, Valencia are looking shit hot this season.

Don't fuck this up Anderson. I really want him to be good but realistically I think this is his make-or-break season. I can't see his contract being renewed if he doesn't show improvement. I saw the Carling Cup game and he was still trying to play over-ambitious passes a lot.

I hope Rafael can establish himself at right-back. Neither Neville or O'Shea are good enough and it does no good just randomly swapping around an area of your defence all the time.

I understand what you're saying but at some point this season he's going to have to step up. His contract runs out in 2012 and unless he has a good season I think we'll just sell him next Summer and try to get back some of the outlay for him. He has to show more than what we've seen the past two seasons.

Oh yeah, I completely agree with you on that. I just don't think we can expect him to step it up just yet. If he starts getting a run of games then I expect we'll be able to judge whether he's ever going to fulfill that potential.

Worst half of football I can remember.

I have a tenner on 0-4 corners at 20/1, that's all that's keeping my interest.

I don't understand what Park is doing on the left. He picks the ball up with acres of space and just runs straight toward the nearest defender. It's bizarre.

Park and Carrick have been hilariously bad. Park's first touch, or even his second and third, have been terrible and Carrick's passing could be described as 'wayward'.

Rafael's been solid though, it feels strange not to panic every time a ball is played over the RB.

Rafael's been great. Mopping up at the back, and an outlet going forward too. Really bright performance, if he continues like this then he deserves a run in the team, no doubt.

What could SAF do about the combined dead weight of Park and Carrick? Gibson won't be much better than Carrick in terms of keeping the ball, and we don't have any tried and tested wingers on the bench. I'd like to see some sort of change if we've not improved by 65 mins, still.