The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I've just seen the line up for today and, well... I don't really know what to say... Has Fergie got no ambition for the league this season or something? With Chelsea playing Arsenal this weekend, with a good chance of a draw why has he gone with Macheda and Owen up front?

We need a win, simple as. But Fergie seems to have lost the plot. I'm really confused.

You'd assume Berbatov was being rested, after travelling to Spain and playing most of the game. Fair enough. You would've hoped that Hernandez's excellent finish would earn him a starting place, though.

I didn't see the first half, but the second was a very mixed bag. Defensively we looked settled, which is as I would expect. It was pretty much the same back four as midweek, and everything seems to be clicking. However, even with Scholes playing we lacked ideas. We didn't really know what to do with the ball, and even counter-attacking seemed like a dead end. A stalemate away to Sunderland isn't all that bad, but the manner of the draw was dispiriting. At least we're doing alright at one end now, hopefully now we can say goodbye to conceding silly late goals.

Yeah, a point away to Sunderland isn't the worst result and at least we look a bit more settled at the back.

I think my main problem us that we look so one dimensional these days. We need some new creative blood in midfield and I think it's a sad state of affairs that there obviously isn't any money to buy anyone.

In seasons past we would be pushing for wins in games like this with the other big two playing each other, but now it just seems that Fergie's happy to scrape through, which doesn't make for interesting football.

I think my main problem us that we look so one dimensional these days. We need some new creative blood in midfield and I think it's a sad state of affairs that there obviously isn't any money to buy anyone.

Thing is though, that's not true is it? We've spent a lot of money on fairly unknown players but who have the potential to become good players (Hernadez £7m, Smalling £10m). If we really didn't have money to spend do you think we'd have spent £7m on Bebe, a unknown player without actually seeing him play. If you've got no money then you don't do that in my opinion. Money is there in my opinion, not bucket loads obviously but enough to buy if the manager see fit.

Disappointing result yesterday and I know some people might not understand the striking pairing but the biggest issue I had was the not so much the strikers but the way we lined up without any balance. The left side of our attack was none existent with O'Shea a capable defender but not very good going the other way and what seemed like a combination of Anderson and Kiko occupying the left midfield/attack role. Just lacked any kind of balance and on paper looks like its not going to work so wasn't surprised when it didn't.

Long break now before we play again so hopefully we can get through the international break without any injuries and start to crack on and start getting some points on the board away from home and also try get some kind of form.

Completely agree, the left side was just so unbalanced it was never going to work. If Evra was playing it might have been ok but Anderson/Owen/Macheda never seemed to be able to get the balance right in that part of the field. We better hope Ferguson has got something planned for the left wing though as without Giggs we look fucked at the moment.

Was good to see Rafael have another solid game, I really, really, hope he can make the RB spot his own.

Rooney has to occupy the left when we come back from the break. It's the only way I can see any balance in attack. Rooney, Berbatov and Nani as the front three, hopefully with some of the youngsters coming into their own when cover is needed. As for the midfield, I think we're best off with three in midfield, as I have banged on about many times. Not just for big games and in Europe, but all the time. 4-2-3-1, with Anderson or Giggs occupying a central attacking role, with two of Fletch/Scholes/Carrick/Anderson tidying up is the best option I can see. If it's a game where we don't need that much protection, one can go and join in attack, making it more of a 4-3-3. As I said before, the defence looks fine.

Evra seems out of sorts, and O'Shea gives little in attack (okay his delivery is actually mostly excellent, but he is not fast). Fabio should be given a chance soon. If he's fit that is, I actually have no idea if he's ready to play. If he can match the form of his brother, it's worth a go.

I've just seen the line up for today and, well... I don't really know what to say... Has Fergie got no ambition for the league this season or something? With Chelsea playing Arsenal this weekend, with a good chance of a draw why has he gone with Macheda and Owen up front?

We need a win, simple as. But Fergie seems to have lost the plot. I'm really confused.

A few days on and I'm still struggling to understand what the hell was going on with that team. There's not another league game due to internationals for a few weeks so I don't really buy the resting line. I think he's underestimated the opposition and wanted to be "fair" to the squad and give some runouts that they haven't yet had. Which is a pretty stupid thing to do if true, given how well Sunderland have done against us in the past, or for example how they played Arsenal off the park the other day.

The issue is the one that's been there for ages, there's zero creativity in the team. Nani is by far the brightest hope once you accept that as brilliant as Scholes is, he's 70 and can't be expected to perform the whole season like he did in September. It's shit that now Berba is in form Rooney isn't, as like last season we're kinda hoping that our inform striker will get on the end of his own pass at the moment.

I think Anderson is a laughable joke, he doesn't do anything well and I'm starting to really resent him. I'm sure people will talk about just coming back from injury, but the thing is he was spoke about on the past page and the alarm bells rang when the fabled out performing of Gerrard and Fabregas occurred. When was that, 4 season or so ago? Done fuck all since then, bar shoot erraticaly and crash his car.

What is funny though is all that talk of value from the manager. It's a totally unfair comparison given their ages, experience and position they play, but I'd much rather the club paid less and bought a proven talent in Van de Vaart than Bebe.

The one comparison that is fair though is the total lack of decent wingers at the club outside of Nani. Billions have probably been spent on the likes of Tosic, Obertan and Anderson, yet none are a patch on Adam Johnson. Who cost less than our players.

But, yeah, the manager is either deeply restricted in budget or fucking stupid if he think's the current midfield is anywhere near the required class.

So just announced record profits as a club of £100m but this turns into a £83.6m loss due to the costs of restructuring the clubs debts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/08/manchester-united-debt-glazer

Surely the Glazers can't afford to keep this up now with a large majority of the malls etc in the US defaulting on the mortgages. With a large number of players contracts up for renewal soon this is looking more and more grim. The worst part is going to be even if they decide to sell they are just going to bump the valuation of the club up past the £1.5B they had previously been looking for cant really see this getting any better soon.

A small part of me hopes we dont qualify for the champs league next season and force the Glazers to take a hit and just sell the club and fuck off. Surely things couldnt get worse at any point with a new owner.

Just to say that Nani was on FIRE last night for Portugal against Denmark. He created every chance we had, scored two goals and made the third for Ronaldo. Goals here Click His second is a peach.

I have a feeling this season we'll see the best of him. Fingers crossed.

Surely the Glazers can't afford to keep this up now with a large majority of the malls etc in the US defaulting on the mortgages. With a large number of players contracts up for renewal soon this is looking more and more grim. The worst part is going to be even if they decide to sell they are just going to bump the valuation of the club up past the £1.5B they had previously been looking for cant really see this getting any better soon.

I think it was only a few of their malls that defaulted. Not sure it makes any difference to United as they can't take money out to pay those mortgages and it's not like they are investing any money either side of the Atlantic so we don't lose out in that respect. Is it better that their Mall business goes down the shitter so they would look to sell United of sooner rather than later? I don't really know.

I think the waiting to renew player contracts is common across a lot of clubs now as they look to negotiate with one year, rather than two, left. Makes sense to me but i can see why people would be worried.

A small part of me hopes we dont qualify for the champs league next season and force the Glazers to take a hit and just sell the club and fuck off. Surely things couldnt get worse at any point with a new owner.

Depressingly I don't think it would make any difference. In terms of United as a global brand I suspect it would take at least 3 years of pretty serious mediocrity before it had enough financial impact to force the Glazers to sell. If we missed out on Europe completely that could speed things up but I can't see that happening just yet. Maybe the Uefa fair-play regulations will have an impact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Glazers are waiting until they are bought in before taking out money to pay of the PIK loans so they can show that they are reducing the level of debt.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9088543.stm

Owen Hargreaves is set to make his long-awaited return from injury in Manchester United's Premier League match against West Brom on Saturday.

The 29-year-old midfielder has not started a match since September 2008 because of a chronic knee problem.

"Owen should play some part on Saturday," the player's knee surgeon Dr Richard Steadman told BBC Sport.

"Our physical therapist, Luke O'Brien, has been working very closely with United's coaches on his rehab."

England international Hargreaves underwent surgery on each of his knees at Steadman's clinic in Vail, Colorado, in 2008 and his recovery has been beset by problems.

His last appearance for United came in May, when he played for the final three minutes of the Premier League match against Sunderland.

Hargreaves was expected to be fit for the start of this season but suffered a setback during the summer and had to return to Colorado for further work with Steadman.

The surgeon conceded: "It's been a long road back and there have been some setbacks along the way.

"But I've got a lot of admiration for the way Owen has responded - he's worked very hard and has never given up. Things are looking good for him now."

Hargreaves joined United from Bayern Munich in July 2007 but his last start for the Old Trafford outfit came in the 1-1 draw with Chelsea in September 2008.

Not sure how to feel. I want to believe it's true but there's still a couple of days left in which his knees could implode again.

We really could do with him at the moment so it's good news. How well can he play after nigh on 2 seasons out of action though? Fair play to him though, not sure many other players would have gone through what he has without retiring.

Been a bit of a quiet break apart from various goalkeeper rumours starting to appear. Wouldn't be surprised to see a deal tied up for someone in January rather than waiting until the summer. Ferguson also said that Cleverly might be bought back in January which is positive.

My brother had knee surgery at the Steadman clinic (real cheap, cost the insurance company $20k I believe), it's insane when you walk through there, loads of athletes pictures/shirts/kits all signed with notes thanking him for saving their careers. Not sure how that gives him an insight into team selection though...

Rooney starting on the bench, team is VDS, Raf, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Anderson, Carrick, Nani, Berb, Hernandez. Not sure about Carrick and Anderson in the middle but I'm looking forward to Berbs and Hernandez playing together, might end up being our starting pairing upfront next season :unsure: .