The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

So Chelsea could go 7 points clear of us after only 8 games by the end of the night

P8 W3 D5

This could well be the first Premier League season we finish outside of the top 3 I reckon.

Don't you lot always start out a bit crap and then go on a good solid run from around December onwards? Reckon it's still a little too early yet to start panicking (not a manu fan by any means).

First half was genuinely entertaining, pretty much par for the course against opposition like the Baggies. We didn't play amazing well, but we should've been three or four up, and I thought we could just keep the ball the second half and let the clock run down. No such luck. Their two goals were absolute gifts; no-one on the front post for the first (basic stuff really), and of course an uncharacteristic mistake for the second. I'm not going to blame VDS for the loss, the whole team was so much worse in the second half. We let them think they could come back, and come back they did.

When Giggs came off, we didn't have anyone on the left. Anderson was meant to be there, but when we needed a goal he got hungry and moved inside. Evra moves up to support instead, leaving a gaping hole. Rafael lost it a bit, and rarely pressured players or put in tackles towards the end. His positional sense, fine for much of the game, went. Combined with the lack of a screen in midfield (an off-colour Carrick and the dead weight that is Darron Gibson does not make for a very good shield), they were running at our centre backs time and time again. They could've won it, seriously. We need to sort this shit out, stat.

I'll reiterate that by the end of the first half I was very content. The front three of Chicarito, Nani and Berbatov were great to watch, all seemed to be on the same wavelength. They had goals in them for sure, but the midfield and defence let them down.

Don't you lot always start out a bit crap and then go on a good solid run from around December onwards? Reckon it's still a little too early yet to start panicking (not a manu fan by any means).

Yeah but you look at the 8 teams we've played and our only wins have been against 2 teams in the relegation zone and 1 newly promoted team. And we nearly threw even one of those away. It's not like we've been playing the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, City or Tottenham either.

Some of these players are simply not good enough.

o/ . We all know midfield is the major issue, I dont think Gibson is even good enough for a midtable premier league team so I dont know what Ferguson sees in him. At least when Fletcher was shit he ran around a lot and had the odd occasional game against good opposition, Gibson does neither. I'd much rather Cleverly was given the chance rather than sitting on the bench at Wigan, he couldn't be any worse than Gibson

Combined with the lack of a screen in midfield (an off-colour Carrick and the dead weight that is Darron Gibson does not make for a very good shield), they were running at our centre backs time and time again. They could've won it, seriously. We need to sort this shit out, stat.

I'd say Carrick was pretty much on colour today, lots of sideways passing and lacking any drive. This has been the problem all season though, even when its Fletcher and Scholes in the middle, Fletcher has to play further forward than Scholes Giving the opposition midfield a free run at our defence when they win it. 442 seems to be useless against anyone other than the relagation candidates but 433/451/4231 isn't really an option with an off form Rooney and Berbatovs seeming inability to play in the system. Its a shame as Nani is starting to look like he could get 10 goals a season and would work well in it and it would give our midfield a bit more solidity.

Whenever Gibson got a touch of the ball, no matter how impractical, the whole stadium seemed to shout 'shoot'. I hope at least some of them were joking. I couldn't believe all the chanting of Rooney's name either, he shouldn't have been brought on and made no impact.

This is the team I want to see play Buraspor;

Berbatov

Rooney               Nani

Anderson Fletcher

Scholes

Evra                        Rafael

Vidic  Rio

VDS

Rooney is playing terribly, but needs a start to at least be given the chance to get back to form. If he's awful we can always sub him off. You'll notice I kept the back four from today's game; this is because the defence wasn't the issue today. Still, we should keep our options open there. It might be nice to see Brown start a game at right back soon, and the likes of Smalling, Evans and Fabio need to play a part also.

Jesus, we are a mess at the moment, aren't we? I've really lost interest in them this season, as I think they're fucked (yeah, yeah, I've said it before, but even most of you die hard optimists must be seeing the warning signs now). There doesn't seem to be any urgency to get the positions covered that we badly need. Rooney's acting like a spoilt dick and I wouldn't be surprised if the rumours of him and Fergie falling out are true, with him probably leaving next summer. The good players we do have aren't consistently performing to the level needed and the rest of the players just aren't good enough. There's no money in the pot, which is obvious by looking at the state of the squad. They're in a bad place.

I really think the whole thing needs shaking up and starting again, as it really feels like we've come to a dead end. I've got no excitement in seeing them play any more, which is a first for me. I'll keep my eye on them, but win/lose/draw I simply don't care and the only thing I can blame is the ownership of the Glazers.

If we really want to compete with the rest of the big hitters in the league and push for glory in Europe again, we need owners that have got some money and are more interested in pushing the club forward rather than using it as a way to (badly) service their debts.

I agree with all those points. But what infuriates me more than anything is the constant denial that there is anything wrong. In the recent Liverpool situation there was acknowledgement from the chairman and management structure that there was a fundamental problem that was preventing the club from moving forwards. At Utd there is only denials and deception to how f***** the club is and how dire the financial situation is.

I am sure that fergie was more than aware that to keep up with the other big teams in the division, and in Europe, that we needed to spend big this summer. Whilst Scholes and Giggs are still (mostly) performing, they need to be replaced, whilst other players are not and never will be at the level required. And yet despite players such as Ozil and Sneidjer being potentially available, we didnt go for them. To rub salt in the wounds was to be constantly tld how there is a "War-chest" available if the right player comes along, and yet Sneidjer is one of the best playmakers in the world- who the hell are we waiting to sign- Jesus?

Ive lost a lot of respect for Fergie who is singing from the hymnsheet in order to keep on side of the Glazers instead of coming out and telling the truth which is that until and unless we get new owners we will keep replacing Ferraris with Mondeos.

Something is going on, will be interesting to see what SAF says at his news conf.

"Rooney is not going anywhere :RING: :RING: sorry Jose Cant speak at the moment, I'll call you back"

Something is definitely going on but the only two likely destinations are Barca or Real but he's never to my knowledge expressed a desire to play abroad and unless he does get divorced I cant see Coleen moving away from her family. Of course maybe the Glazers are putting it out there to ease the backlash when he's sold to finance them taking another £20 million out next year in management fee.

Really bad news - think the best case is going to be getting £25 - £30 million to Real Madrid and either Benzema or Kaka coming our way as part of any deal.

I think regardless of the reasons behind his intention to walk out which still hasn't been confirmed this is still going to reflect badly on the Glazers when we dont replace class with class.

The most interesting thing is going to be seeing if Ferguson lets him sit in the Reserves till Jan dropping any price further and further or bring him back into the team and see if the working relationship can be sorted out.

Really starting to be a bad time to be supporting Utd with the club finally starting to show real signs of falling apart as a result of the debt having been placed on us and with the teams around us grinding out wins and us seemingly now just about getting draws against the teams we really should be beating its looking very likely that this could be the first season outside the top 3 and very possibly being outside the top 4. You can look at the league now and the number of teams currently having at least as good a squad and having the ability to strengthen in Jan leaves things looking grim.

He'll go to real madrid.

It's like Beckham all over again, except this time its chasing women rather than celebrity.

The way the game is going, the way footballers are these days, there will be very few star players who can convert to the Ferguson total life plan. It's probably for the best that he's going to retire soon.

It's worrying, because when Ronaldo left there was no indication from the club that this was going to happen, even though pretty much every news source was agreed it was a done deal. If he was really thinking about leaving, this is probably how it would look. I don't think he'll leave United unless he's leaving Coleen also. I mean, that's not an impossibility either. If that happens, I reckon Barca will break the bank to get him. If he goes to Madrid, I'd like Higuaín + cash. If he goes to a domestic club, the only credible destination I can really think of is Chelsea.

Fergie out!

Expected the story, didn't expect it to go further than the tabloids. So what's his beef? Having a strop because he was rightly dropped for playing shit? Or is it all I want a new climate because of my penis? There's got to be more to the falling out, surely, unless the story is bullshit.

But yeah, speculation time. I don't think Chelsea, Barca or Madrid would pay for him unless it was a derisory figure, only City would pay the going rate. But he's not being sold domestically, that I know for sure. Yet I don't see a suitable fit abroad either, he isn't guaranteed a game at either Barca or Madrid, plus he's be out of position at Barca if he wants to play striker and he's out of his mind if he wants the circus that is Madrid.

He won't be going anywhere. He's having a strop and he'll come round and it will all be happy families again.

The tone of the stories seems to be quite hysterical, more so than your usual tabloid rumours. However there isn't a single quote.

I really wish I could have a strop at work for a few weeks and still get paid over £100k a week for it.

As it stands at the moment he's of absolutely no use to the club and his childish behaviour is affecting not only the players around him, but the success of the club and therefore the paying supporters.

I really thought he'd start to grow up over the last couple of years, but I suppose this shows that he's still a petulant child.

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to be honest. And I wouldn't be surprised if Coleen was behind it. A new start and all that.

Anyway, it's just speculation at the minute, but either way it's not helping the club.