The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Who the fuck does he think he is? He wants "assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world".

Fuck off.

He might as well say "Hernandez, Bebe and Smalling aren't on my level".

We have never bought "the top players in the world". Cantona, Schmeichel, Ronaldo, all plucked from obscurity or career resuscitated. Van Nistelrooy, Ferdinand, Rooney himself were not guaranteed successes despite big money being spent. I assume he was unhappy when we signed Vidic and Evra too? I mean, who the fuck were they before they signed for United?

We didn't stand for it when Keane was slating the team and we shouldn't now. He's a disgrace.

Yeah! Get him out! You tell im!

Still think he should go?

Fergie wins, yet again!

Not sure if he has really won anything. This really makes no sense, he comes out, says he wants to go, annoys the hell of supporters (even though he has every right to move on if HE feels its necessary for him), then signs a deal for 5 years. There is something seriously wrong with this picture. I bet you will find there is a nice compromise by both parties, rather than Rooney rolling over on Fergies command to let him tickle his belly! ;)

When he starts scoring the fans won't give a shit, and the people working at the club are professionals and know they have to put up with him, because he's just that good. Really it won't affect anything.... except Rooney's wage packet of course.

It really didn't have to come to this, though. The club knows that Rooney would have plenty of suitors if he wanted out, I don't get how involving the media helped anyone. Apart from SAF, who's now had a very public display of his continuing control of affairs at United. As some of you have said, that might not be how it happened, but that's how the fans will (by and large) see it.

Ive seen lots of Utd fans on boards today saying things like "Good luck to him" etc etc. Mayve Im being churlish but I dont share that view at all. Ive been shouted at all day by the wife for calling him a fat gippo scouser. She has pointed out that I wasn't this mad when Ronaldo or Tevez left (well I was quite mad at Tevez, because of his destination). But it strikes me that there are two types of player leaving situations- the Ronaldos- who rightly or wrongly, leave to join the club they dreamed of as a boy, and then theres the Ashley Cole effect- greedy little no-marks who think they're the next coming of Christ. And Rooney is in this category.

The only parallel that comes to mind if he moves from us to City is Figo when he did a bunk from Barca and pitched up at Real, and didnt they (the Barca fans) throw a pigs head at him?

GET HIM OUT OF YOUR CLUB!

The reactions in here are great. Youll all be in hotels with him in a few weeks won't you. :lol:

So close!

Ha ha yeah seems I was miles out - amazed that someone would wreck his relationship with the fans playing hardball over some extra money.. maybe he's been given the assurances he wanted over squad improvements but I didn't believe the current owners could provide this.. as I say, I'm very surprised.

If it's all about getting the extra money though.. what a twat! Happy to see him go down with the ship.

FOR MASSIVE CASH DAMAGE.

Yeah but Christ, I mean it's believed they were offering him £150k a week anyway isn't it? I doubt they've suddenly offered him a massive amount extra, so was it worth all this furore for a few extra grand a week? Seems crazy to me.

Nah, it's a plausible theory but I feel you're very cynical here. I'm not a ManUtd fan but I highly doubt that was the reason they got him to sign.

Yeah but Christ, I mean it's believed they were offering him £150k a week anyway isn't it? I doubt they've suddenly offered him a massive amount extra, so was it worth all this furore for a few extra grand a week? Seems crazy to me.

Well to be fair to Wayne, he probably didn't realise or misjudged the furore and Fergie sneakily starting it.

Yeah but at the same time, it's not like the Glazers can suddenly demonstrate that they have billions for transfers. The club is demonstrably skint in that regard, so Rooney's alleged concerns about the club's ongoing ability to splurge vast sums on transfers seem valid. Which can only mean that actually it wasn't about that at all, and he only said it was because he thought it was the one excuse he could give that might make the green and gold bunch hate him a bit less.

Well to be fair to Wayne, he probably didn't realise or misjudged the furore and Fergie sneakily starting it.

Hmm, surely it was Rooney's people that leaked this to the press association?

Yeah it was Paul Stretford I assume.

@ oli:

The Glazers wouldn't sign up to that. It's been pretty much agreed that the 'ambition' thing was just the only thing he could say in his statement, so he wasn't made out to be the bad guy. It was never about that.

Ha ha yeah seems I was miles out - amazed that someone would wreck his relationship with the fans playing hardball over some extra money.. maybe he's been given the assurances he wanted over squad improvements but I didn't believe the current owners could provide this.. as I say, I'm very surprised.

If it's all about getting the extra money though.. what a twat! Happy to see him go down with the ship.

Alternatively though, Rooney has possibly just used his leverage to ensure that the owners will now invest significant funds in new players...

Edit: As Oli mentions

Alternatively though, Rooney has possibly just used his leverage to ensure that the owners will now invest significant funds in new players...

Are you having a laugh? You think Rooney has leverage with the Glazers? They don't give a shit as long as they can dip into the pot whenever they feel like it. If fucking Sir Alex Ferguson can't get them to provide him with a large chunk of the Ronaldo money, what chance does some jumped up 24-year-old Scouse Shrek player have?

Yeah but at the same time, it's not like the Glazers can suddenly demonstrate that they have billions for transfers. The club is demonstrably skint in that regard, so Rooney's alleged concerns about the club's ongoing ability to splurge vast sums on transfers seem valid. Which can only mean that actually it wasn't about that at all, and he only said it was because he thought it was the one excuse he could give that might make the green and gold bunch hate him a bit less.

Hmm, surely it was Rooney's people that leaked this to the press association?

£7 million on a complete unknown like Bebe doesn't really say completely skint

Are you having a laugh? You think Rooney has leverage with the Glazers? They don't give a shit as long as they can dip into the pot whenever they feel like it. If fucking Sir Alex Ferguson can't get them to provide him with a large chunk of the Ronaldo money, what chance does some jumped up 24-year-old Scouse Shrek player have?

Rooney is the key player at United right now and for its future. Losing him would be disastrous for the future of the club. The team in the next few years is going to be built around him. I'm expecting some big signings to happen in the next year or so because of this whole debacle.