The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

This is all a bit old news now, but...

I seem to be missing your point. Are you saying that "Slough" wouldn't benefit from "Reading" giving them a transfer fee? It might not make them rich but it all adds up to keeping clubs big or small in the black. I dare say it probaly helps smaller clubs even more as they can't bring in big sponsorship.

I don't think Slough do benefit from the system. They'll spend money on players and rarely will they turn a profit on transfers - lots of them will be signing 31 year olds for £X and then having them retire. With the occasional £2X income from selling a youngster to Reading. As an average, I don't think many, if any, small clubs would make a profit on transfers - mostly because their players tend to be rubbish and unsaleable.

If they didn't need to spend money to get the rest of their team, they wouldn't miss the occasional bits of transfer income.

I know his employer didn't pay for him. I was pointing out that Rooney's situation is not the same as his for many reasons, the transfer fee being one of them.

Not what I meant. I meant that if he was a footballer, he wouldn't have had that fee paid for him in a world where transfer fees didn't exist. So the "We paid £25m" reason for continuing transfer fees wouldn't exist*. The only expenditure on a player would be the amount you pay in wages, which would (ideally) be payment deserved for doing a job to an appropriate level.

Which is entirely fair.

Obviously the slaves stuff is stupid, but it is an odd system that works more in favour of big teams than an ideal one would.

*It'd be a bit of a mess due to that when transfer fees were abolished, but I'm ignoring that for now.

This should probably be in the football thread, but...

I imagine scottish football would be in an even bigger mess were it not for big money transfers. Of course their best players go down south, but at least they get something for it. Ideally things wouldn't be so imbalanced, but they get a reward for the time and effort they pile into training young players. Even when ticket sales are down, and TV money stays static, a club with a good academy will always be okay. I'd agree that smaller clubs that rely on buying in talent may struggle under the current system, but that incentivises blooding young players.

Apparently there were protests outside Rooneys house? Real classy. People in here calling him a scouse ******* and telling him to go.

Today it's all "Oh Wayne you're great!"

:lol:

Yeah! Get him out! You tell im!

Still think he should go?

Disciple, I absolutely stand by my post a few days ago. Rooney was completely out of order and disgraced himself and embarrassed the club. At no point did I call for him to leave and am obviously delighted we've kept hold of him. He's got a lot to do though before I'll be satisfied with the situation. An apology on the pitch on Sunday would do for starters, just as Roy Keane did years ago.

I reckon SAF will try and get a public apology out of him, not that it'll be sincere of course, but it might calm things down. Wheeling him out onto the pitch might not be the best idea though, Keane is like an oratory genius compared to Rooney.

Apparently there were protests outside Rooneys house? Real classy. People in here calling him a scouse ******* and telling him to go.

:lol:

Yeah, there was about 30 people. Then they shuffled off once the police turned up. Sad cunts.

Disciple, I absolutely stand by my post a few days ago. Rooney was completely out of order and disgraced himself and embarrassed the club. At no point did I call for him to leave and am obviously delighted we've kept hold of him. He's got a lot to do though before I'll be satisfied with the situation. An apology on the pitch on Sunday would do for starters, just as Roy Keane did years ago.

The same for me. His behaviour has been unacceptable but I would never want him to leave the club. Him apologising and scoring goals will ease the pain.

I'm quite sceptical about this "u-turn" if I'm honest; didn't Ronaldo sign a deal before he was eventually sold to Real? Same with Ruud as well?

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney stayed at United for another season, then was sold off somewhere so the club don't lose out, which they would've done had Rooney gone in the January window or at the end of this season.

Didn't something similar happen a few years ago with a certain other team and their talisman?

@bleeders:

Ronaldo signed a five-year extension before his 42-goal season. That was the reason we were able to get one more season out of him after the CL win. Rooney cannot really force a move for another three years, when his transfer value would begin to drop again. There is the possibility that SAF asked him to sign one last contract for exactly that reason, but it's unlikely. If Rooney genuinely wanted out, his agents and advisers wouldn't let him sign a binding contract!

I don't get this, he only issued his statement after effectively being forced to do it by Ferguson's press conference? Ok you could argue that was in response to all the rumors, but you had the same thing with Ronaldo and there was bascially nothing said by the club then.

Personally I don't understand the mentality of alienating the only people that liked him like this, especially as it's come at a time when his stock is at the lowest. He's pretty much fucked around with every aspect of his life of late and then goes and pulls this.

He quite obviously and clearly doesn't give two shits what anybody thinks of him, which I guess is fair enough. Like I say I don't get causing all this hassle for money when he's already exceedingly rich and rewarded from wages, sponsorship and endorsements.

No doubt it'll all be forgotten about real soon, especially if he scores the winner in the derby. Same thing happened with Ferdinand, Gerrard and to a degree Lampard and Terry and they've carried on just fine, so I'm sure Rooney will too.

For me he'll never be the club legend that Ferguson was alluding too. He'll certainly never be in my heart like Cantona, Ole, Scholes and Keane are. But ultimately I don't think the player gives two shits what anybody thinks.

Why should he care, it's only a job and he was never a fan nor claimed to be. It's just that you get all the stuff about him playing football for the love it and kissing the badge tricking people into thinking he's different, when really he's just a greedy mercenary like the vast majority of them.

I hope he enjoys his cash and thinks it was all worth it.

wait, did Man UTD plc just troll the world?

Na, they played the game and his agent played it better.

BTW they haven't been a PLC for five years+.

His stock has taken a beating, and he won't be remembered overly fondly by the fans when he's retired.

But Keane was forgiven, and Rooney's got what he wanted and United keep their best player.

Plus, if United buy some quality signings as a result, everyone's a winner !

His stock has taken a beating, and he won't be remembered overly fondly by the fans when he's retired.

But Keane was forgiven, and Rooney's got what he wanted and United keep their best player.

Plus, if United buy some quality signings as a result, everyone's a winner !

All true bar that I believe Scholes is the clubs best player.

I don't think for a minute O'Shea or Carrick or even Berbatov could have got away with this, the player has because he's so good. I'm glad he's stayed, it's obviously beneficial.

Like I say I just don't understand the mentality of the guy, but then again I'm not a 100K+ a week footballer who obviously thinks it's important to get parity with his peers. I'm just a fan who doesn't even go any more and who won't give the club any money out of principle.