The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

Can Neville fuck off please? Ferguson needs to stop giving him pity-starts, he's been a liability for at least 2 seasons now.

Is there anyone who could play left wing so we can shift Evra and O'Shea round? Saying that we could just as well stick Smalling out there, he can't do any worse.

Backwards bullet header!

I've never seen a goal like that, it was incredible. Has there ever been another?

At first I was all wow, nice flick on. But that is no flick on, look at the power generated. Like I say, it's a bullet header with the back of his head.

Give the lad the #7. Actually, no, give him #10. I don't doubt Rooney will regain his place when fit, though it won't be fair. That's some collection of goals he has to his name now... the backwards bullet, the smash it in off your own face and the awesome first touch against Valencia aren't a bad trio.

Only a smidgen wide with that volley for the hatrick, plus the way he took the offside lob was majestic. Lad looks a proper player and I'm loving how humble he's coming across and that he's getting floored yet straight back up with no histrionics.

That's 5 now isn't it? Given Rooney will be out and the potential for cup games, he's on target for 15 goals? That'd be some return if so.

Yeah most backward headers are flick ons but he's actually thumped that in. He looks a great buy so far, he has pace, a great touch and seemingly can score with any part of his body, he's a real opportunist. Him an Berbatov up front look to be doing the business so far this season for us, I honestly think we would have been fine without Rooney.

Hernandez and Berbs are playing together but I can't imagine them being prolific and certainly not dependable to form a formidable goalscoring partnership. They're no Cole & Yorke or Sutton & Shearer. I see them more as Heskey and Cottee ;)

Looking back now, the whole Rooney thing has been great for United.

Had they lost Rooney they'd have lost the only person who will really sell shirts for them. He's their Worldwide brand, the face of Manchester United at the moment.

That the Glazers have apparently freed up £100m for transfers, now means that they'll keep Rooney, they'll strengthen the squad, and SAF may yet push for more trophies.

Every Man Utd fan around should be grateful to Rooney for what's happened; it's made Man Utd stronger...at least in the short term.

Mind you there's a still a few on SSN who are saying "Ohh he'll have to show his worth now"; idiots. He's already done that, ten fold.

Perhaps if Man U can strengthen in January we'll see a decent title race this time out; Arsenal are bound to fall apart as usual at some point.

As an Arsenal fan, as much as it pains me to say it, that Hernandez goal was utterly brilliant.

Give him 2-3 years and maybe Utd won't need champagne-quaffing, whore-loving Rooney.

That's another thing that I find quite remarkable about this whole episode. The fans don't seem to mind him staying up all hours banging hookers while destroying his body with champagne. Rather they wanted him to stay/thought he was a traitor for wanting to leave.

Will he be finished in 2-3 years? Or less?

Looking back now, the whole Rooney thing has been great for United.

Had they lost Rooney they'd have lost the only person who will really sell shirts for them. He's their Worldwide brand, the face of Manchester United at the moment.

United don't directly see any of the money from shirt sales, it's only a concern for Nike. Nike own the Megastore at the ground and it's them that sells to the retailers.

United are 10 years into the current three hundred million, thirteen year deal. They get their money every year whether 10 shirts are sold or 10,000,000.

Sure if sales plummeted consistently for the next three years then maybe Nike may offer a lesser deal/ nothing at all. I find that scenario highly unlikely. Looking at what the Goons have done in regards to significantly growing all areas of revenue I bet the shirt deal is worth considerably more than the 300M the club currently gets when it's up for renewal.

Give him 2-3 years and maybe Utd won't need champagne-quaffing, whore-loving Rooney.

That's another thing that I find quite remarkable about this whole episode. The fans don't seem to mind him staying up all hours banging hookers while destroying his body with champagne. Rather they wanted him to stay/thought he was a traitor for wanting to leave.

Will he be finished in 2-3 years? Or less?

I'm confused. His kid is what, a year old or so? He was shagging around when she was pregnant with said kid. Which means he was fucking around about 12-15 months ago, yeah? Right about slap bang in the middle of his best ever period for goal scoring. If you mean the fall out with his wife, again, so what? He doesn't have to bring his worries to work and you could argue that the likes of Cole especially, Gerrard and Terry have all played on just fine despite personal issues.

As for the champagne comment, says who? He was caught out on the lash pre-season, wasn't he? It's hardly a regular thing. If it was I'm sure there'd have been many more stories.

Why exactly will he be finished in a few years? What facts are you basing that opinion on that the manager doesn't have? I dunno, I get the feeling a guy with a bit of experience like Ferguson who works with the player every day maybe a more reliable source than you.