The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I've become very disillusion with MUST recently; they seem very populist and self-aggrandising, and their willingness to get cosy with commercial backers worries me. I just read the latest newsletter, where they say they're going to produce a shirt with Sharp as the sponsor. I get the nostalgic appeal, but what on earth is that meant to say? That said the circular is usually a bit of a joke, responding with an 'official position' to recent events without having anything more than rumour to go off, and never missing a chance to go on about City. I don't care about what's going on at City, and they shouldn't either. It does not fall under their purview.

If they ever achieve their aims, be it years or decades from now, I hope they have changed their tune. It is one thing to be noisy and reactionary when you are a campaign group, but if you have any actual influence you must be quiet and considered. Otherwise we are destined to always be ignored.

Inter Milan are ready to reopen talks with Wesley Sneijder over a new contract as they fear Manchester United will make a January bid for the midfielder.

Full story: talkSPORT

LOL!

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is lining up a double Dutch midfield swoop for PSV Eindhoven's Ibrahim Afellay and Feyenoord's Leroy Fer.

Full story: caughtoffside.com

LOL!!!

Manchester United are targeting Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina in a sensational £12m swoop.

Full story: Daily Mirror

LOL!!!!!!

How do these journalists get paid to write such drivel?

Bale vs Neville

:ph34r:

Redknapp has said he might rest Bale for midweek. This smacks of mindgames though; he won't rest his best player just because he's got two big games in a row, he'll just play the two big games then rest after. Neville... urgh. He was a liability against Etherington, he will be no better against the likes of Van Der Vaart, and Modric, or even Lennon if he somehow finds himself on the left. It doesn't matter if Bale starts; they've got an abundance of tricky players, Neville simply cannot play. Brown will be an option unless he's tired from the Wolves game, or Rafael who has some question marks over his form. At least he has the pace to make up for his mistakes, though.

Why does Rafael have question marks over is form :unsure: He's been pretty excellent since he had a run of a few games and I don't remember any bad errors (less than O'Shea/Neville and certainly no worse than Evra). He's the only RB with anywhere enough pace to handle him so I hope to god he plays!

Ferdinand and Vidic should be fine coping with Crouch, especially if Spurs start pumping long balls up to him but I do worry about the midfield. If we get pushed back (and Spurs commit men forward) we could be in trouble. Looking forward to see Hernandez though, Spurs defense has hardly been solid so far this season so he'll get chances.

I was at the Brom game, he was really questionable towards the end. He was immense in the first half, and yes for the most part he has been our best right back by miles so far this season. However, I think his concentration and his confidence can go in the middle of a match, which is why I'd like to see Brown back in contention. Maybe it was just a one off; he was better against Buraspor, even though that couldn't be seen as a test. I'm not sure he's got my full confidence though, he still has many things to learn. A fit and in form Brown would be excellent, and he seemed ready against Wolves.

Fair enough, I do think he has a habit of fading towards the end of games but at the monet he has to play on pace alone. Brown was god against Wolves but he did start to struggle against Jarvis so I think he might play on Tuesday instead.

Will be interesting to see if Redknapp will play a slightly weakened team, their CL group could be quite tight so the second placed team could end up qualifying on 8 points. A loss to Inter (and a win either way in the other game) would leave them in quite a precarious position. We're in a better position in that single win will see us qualify and I expext to see a relatively weak team play agains Bursaspor on Tuesday.

Nani handles it, shouldn't have been allowed. Presumably this is what the linesman has flagged for, but the ref goes over and talks to him but still gives it. I also think Nani went down too easily, and it wasn't a penalty, so it's not like some kind of poetic justice. This was just from my view from the south stand though, I'll give the video above a look. It was certainly difficult to believe what had just happened, everyone was just pissing themselves.

A decent performance. We controlled the tempo for the most part, and provided (slightly) more threat. It was a fairly even game though, certainly more open than we would've hoped for. Spurs were probably better than 2-0 belies, but I think 3 points was fair.