The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

SAF said he was putting out a strong side, he didn't lie. Good, we shouldn't take any chances, qualifying at the top of the group is important. A start for Obertan who's looked okay coming from the bench recently. I hope him and Nani play with freedom. Berbatov likes to drift too, as long as they're on the same wavelength we should see some lovely stuff. Smalling has also been excellent, and is definitely pushing Evans now for third choice status. Buraspor will presumably be playing for 0-0, but as long as someone scores early it should be interesting.

Obertan is definately an inside winger, as is so popular in European football these days. As such it's his ability to work some space and pick a pass that impresses, rather than running down the touchline and whipping a ball in. I can't tell if he's good enough yet though, just hasn't had enough games.

This has picked up a little. A decent chance either end.

I was eating, and have no idea how we scored.

Insua has no right foot, lol. Would've put that away otherwise. In other news, Scholes is just so great to watch. A master at work.

*edit*

Obertan's delivery for the corner is of the delicious floating variety... one more thing we know he can do. Scholes probably should've done better!

Scholes was great today, but lucky not to give away a penalty. Complete footballer, but still can't tackle.

Amazing strike by Obertan. Amazing game for fletcher. Amazing Bebe already got two. Amazing how fluid the passing was at times between a squad so unusual. Even Park was good.

Thought smalling was excellent but Raphael is looking very easy to power off the ball and a bit of a liability. Plus Berba was back to his skulking worst. I wish he'd react to a mistake by just racing after the ball like a rabid dog - that is the Ferguson way. Not shaking your head and wandering offside.

Scholes was great today, but lucky not to give away a penalty. Complete footballer, but still can't tackle.

...hmm surely this means he's not the complete footballer? I also fancy he'd not be that good in goal.

...hmm surely this means he's not the complete footballer? I also fancy he'd not be that good in goal.

Zidane couldn't tackle, was he not a complete football then?

Everything you say is just dribble, fuck off out this thread please.

Amazing strike by Obertan. Amazing game for fletcher. Amazing Bebe already got two. Amazing how fluid the passing was at times between a squad so unusual. Even Park was good.

Thought smalling was excellent but Raphael is looking very easy to power off the ball and a bit of a liability. Plus Berba was back to his skulking worst. I wish he'd react to a mistake by just racing after the ball like a rabid dog - that is the Ferguson way. Not shaking your head and wandering offside.

There was some really nice linkup play at times and worryingly Carrick almost looked like he was playing with confidence for the first time in a couple of years!

I think Rafael just looks like a liability at times despite his defense coming on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months. He handled Bale considerably better than Maicon could yet you wouldn't call him a liability! He's learning fast and he's stopped giving a way free kicks in more dangerous areas (most he gave away last night were in the opponents half) and he can match most players for pace. He's a tenacious little bastard too.

Agree on Smalling though, I think his pace and size help make up for his inexperience but he looks like he could be a hell of a defender. I really like the way he always looks for the intelligent pass as well (with the ability to actually make it).

Nice goal by Obertan, with a bit of confidence he could be quite important this season and although Bebe's got a way to go it isn't looking anywhere near as dodgy a transfer as it originally appeared.

I read somewhere that UEFA have credited Bebe's goal as an OG now :( Gutted

EDIT: Ok so now I've seen that the decision was overruled and Bebe is given the goal.

I wondered was it an OG. It's quite hard to tell even after watching it a few times.

It's only an OG if the initial shot was off target. It would be very hard to prove that was the case, seeing as the ball basically came off both of them at the same time.

Owen Hargreaves is starting a football match!!!!!

I had to look on the BBC to check. I still won't believe it till he runs out and gets a taste of the ball. Until he actually knocks it about, I'll assume it's just wishful thinking, a mirage.

In other news, that midfield doesn't fill me with confidence.

Van der Sar

Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra

Obertan, Fletcher, Hargreaves, O'Shea, Park

Hernandez

Subs: Kuszczak, Smalling, Scholes, Fabio Da Silva, Evans, Macheda, Bebe.

It is a bit of a risk. Fletch and Park will have to be on song, because the rest of the midfield can hardly be relied upon to create. Every point counts now, but what other game could we have rested players in? I'm confident the gamble will pay off though, as long as we keep the ball, and keep them chasing.