The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

In other news, that midfield doesn't fill me with confidence.

Van der Sar

Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra

Obertan, Fletcher, Hargreaves, O'Shea, Park

Hernandez

Subs: Kuszczak, Smalling, Scholes, Fabio Da Silva, Evans, Macheda, Bebe.

I wondered if it'd line up as:

Van Der Sar

Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra

Hargreaves, Fletcher, O'Shea, Park

Obertan

Hernandez

I guess Evra might even be on the wing again and then O'Shea at left back?

1506: Owen Hargreaves IS coming off. His comeback lasts less than six minutes - I don't think it's his knee, just a pulled muscle, but it means his afternoon is over already. Absolutely shocking luck for him.

1505: Bad news from Old Trafford. Owen Hargreaves is limping, and it looks like he is coming off.

It's going to be like King, he's been out for so long that he'll get loads of niggling injuries because of a lack of fitness. I imagine this is not related to his knee, just his level of fitness, hopefully once he is fully fit his knee will be manageable. We should have him training on his own, in a swimming pool or whatever, if need be. I wonder why he wasn't eased into things with substitute appearances, he's never going to last a game.

Park and Fletcher provided the experience and cutting edge to get a goal... with this XI it was never going to be a stunning performance, but these are players who know how to win. Which will happen, as long as the defence does it's job.

*edit*

Too much to ask I guess. That was well worked. Lots of opportunities for a dumb shot that would've been blocked, but they were very patient. I'm not sure where we can get another goal from, given the players on the pitch. Perhaps we should hope their attacking approach will open them up for the break.

Against City, I think we have to line up as such;

Berba

Park                 Nani

Anderson

Fletch  Carrick

Evra                    Rafael

Vida   Rio

VDS

This leaves Nani and Park to come inside or switch freely which I think we'll need. Both of them have proven to be capable of winning games this season, and I think they're our best attacking players available, so they have to play and they have to play with freedom. Perhaps Anderson, who must not've been fit today, could get in on the fun too. Dunno about Carrick, was he a concern going into the game? If neither of them are ready for City, that's going to be a tough game.

Thought the team selection was a disgrace, the tactics a disgrace, the performance a disgrace and the fact we very nearly got beat at home a disgrace.

If the manager thinks that squad is good enough not to warrant purchases he's clueless or a great big liar. Enough solid, dependable players but none with the talent or sheer class to actually go out to create chances and win a game. Says everything that it took the introduction of a 87 year old Scholes to actually have anything like creativity in the middle.

Obviously glad Park scored again, but it just masks the truth that this team is pretty shit if you're looking for anything special. Sure Nani, Rooney, Berba and Valencia are out which is pretty much every creative player on the books but lining up like they did today simply isn't good enough.

Yes I know Park scored a fantastic goal to win the game undeservedly but that team selection, tactics and performance simply isn't good enough.

Yeah, I heard that one too about the lergy. To me it smacked more of fuck it, it's only Wolves. We'll beat them no matter what. Which in fairness was what happened so there's no need for concern.

Regards selection for a start I'd of played with two up front. Playing with one off the front man isn't a bad idea and can be devastating when it's the right player, but our in the hole Frenchman who is little more than an average winger is far from ideal. Why is Macheda even at the club if he isn't preferred to that system yesterday? As good as a start as Chico has made I think it's wildly optimistic to play him on his todd. His strength is getting on the end of balls and reacting first, that team yesterday didn't exactly play loads of intricate stuff for him.

Couple that with the incredible creativity of the central midfield, a cripple replaced by a lad that was frankly embarrassing and it really was no surprise just how shit yesterday was. Heard the team on the radio; first thing I said was Hargreaves wouldn't make it to half time followed by that team will create nothing.

But, yeah, just say everybody wasn't injured or ill. Just who exactly would have made a difference in the middle anyway? Gibson, Carrick, Anderson? Exactly. It really all is down to relying on Scholes. As brilliant as he is (he's the best player around in my eyes) it's a tad optimistic to expect him to replicate his September form all season at his age.

What I don't get is you get a lad in in Bebe and play him, yet loan out somebody like Cleverley whose miles ahead in his development and might have made a difference. All done at a time when everybody bar Scholes is playing shit.

I agree the bit about Cleverley/Bébé. It seemed obvious that the former would get games this season, even before we had the injury to Valencia. He's not even getting many games at Wigan. If we're going to send them out, we at least need a minimum games clause. He needs time in the PL, or sending him out was useless.

The selection wasn't great, but I think it's pretty much been put to bed now; it was forced by circumstance. We got away with it. Either team could've won yesterday, so it's not unfair or underserved that we won, it's just football. We kept pushing till the end, and we got our reward. As for relying on Scholes, he's just so good that any team would look more settled with him on the pitch. Replacing his ability and experience will be difficult, impossible in the short term maybe, but we have plenty of other players that can make a difference. We're not suddenly crap when he's not in the team, many key players were missing yesterday.