The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

I'm sure a new loan will be much better than the PIK's though which have an ridiculous 16 percent interest rate year on year I believe.

I'm not sure we'll find out how they're repaying it either as the Glazers tend to share financial information/decisions. The main thing is these PIK's were one of the main worries for lots of people due to the high interest rates and with them payed it's a step in the right direction for me, even if they're payed with more loans.

Glad the pit of money hasn't been dipped into either as Fergie could sure use some of that to strengthen the team!

This made me laugh (from the BBC website):

"Manchester United will target Tottenham's Gareth Bale in summer transfer window, with an offer of up to £40m and Tottenham's choice of United players."

Hmmmm - Rooney, Hernandez, Vidic and Berbatov (and stick him in the reserves).

"Manchester United will target Tottenham's Gareth Bale in summer transfer window, with an offer of up to £40m and Tottenham's choice of United players."

well you are our feeded club - but 40mil is hilarious - closer to 20 mil

So this debt thing is good news, right?

Officially it doesn't make one jot of difference as the PIK's where never the responsibility of the club, something Gill took great energy in expressing.

In reality of course they're United debt, the club is the only money making asset he has.

Things to consider. Where have they got the money from to repay PIK's? They certainly don't have that cash as a family. I mean if they did, why did they take the things out in the first place, you don't borrow that amount at 14.25%. They didn't have it then, I doubt they have it now given their Malls keep defaulting.

So I think they've done a bond of sorts, took out a loan to pay another albeit at a lower rate. So, really, little has changed.

That bit made me laugh! £40m my backside.

Officially it doesn't make one jot of difference as the PIK's where never the responsibility of the club, something Gill took great energy in expressing.

In reality of course they're United debt, the club is the only money making asset he has.

Things to consider. Where have they got the money from to repay PIK's? They certainly don't have that cash as a family. I mean if they did, why did they take the things out in the first place, you don't borrow that amount at 14.25%. They didn't have it then, I doubt they have it now given their Malls keep defaulting.

So I think they've done a bond of sorts, took out a loan to pay another albeit at a lower rate. So, really, little has changed.

Well, until we find out how they've paid off the PIK's we'll never know what it means for the club but the main thing being is that they haven't taken any money out of the ~£150m in the bank to pay off these PIK's, something which MUST was sure to happen. That's good for the club as it does mean they're is money there should Fergie need it.

It's a step in the right direction too as the interest rate on that PIK loan was closer to 16 percent a year. Which had it not been paid off would have been close to £600m come the end of the term! That would have been on top of the £500m bonds.

So for the time being, it's good news for the owners and doesn't really make much of a difference to the club. Be nice to know how it's going to be paid though.

Well, until we find out how they've paid off the PIK's we'll never know what it means for the club but the main thing being is that they haven't taken any money out of the ~£150m in the bank to pay off these PIK's, something which MUST was sure to happen. That's good for the club as it does mean they're is money there should Fergie need it.

It's a step in the right direction too as the interest rate on that PIK loan was closer to 16 percent a year. Which had it not been paid off would have been close to £600m come the end of the term! That would have been on top of the £500m bonds.

So for the time being, it's good news for the owners and doesn't really make much of a difference to the club. Be nice to know how it's going to be paid though.

Has the penny not dropped ? The only asset that is making money for the Glazers is MUFC. MUFC will be paying any debt, as it has been doing for the past 5 years.

Educate yourself - read this first: http://andersred.blogspot.com/p/whats-all-this-fuss-about-glazers-about.html

Then read the rest of the blog.

Then tell me how this doesn't affect the club.

I'm fairly educated on the subject thank you. I read his blogs all the time and follow his posts on Redcafe.net, of course Man Utd are paying the for bonds debt (bonds at roughly £45m per year), but at this moment in time it hasn't payed for the PIK as per the statement from the club.

That's not to say we won't pay for it in future,I agree.

Given both Inter and Juventus have been pretty open with expressing their interest, and given that Barca have been as well, do you really think he'd go for less? Really?

I honestly believe he would go for less than £40m, yes.

He's a good young player don't get me wrong and I'd like at United if I'm honest, but all the talk in recent weeks about him is totally over the top in my opinion.

If we could, in any way possible, buy Hulk in January I'd be the happiest football fan alive. He's having such an outstanding season, is strong as a bull, scores, creates, does it all. I know we're skint, but I can still dream :(

If we could, in any way possible, buy Hulk in January I'd be the happiest football fan alive. He's having such an outstanding season, is strong as a bull, scores, creates, does it all. I know we're skint, but I can still dream :(

:facepalm:

Not seen enough of him to be fair but I do remember him playing against us not too long ago (a couple of years maybe) when rumors were rife that we were interested and he failed to impress in both games. Plus, strikers aren't at the top of the agenda for Man Utd in my opinion!

Do you think we actually have a decent amount of money to spend? Lulz. So you haven't seen him for two years, in which he's quickly become one of the best attacking footballers in europe. And he plays wide left (or right) so he'd be like a Park only nowhere near as shit. Personally, an attacking force of nani, rooney and hulk sounds tasty as hell.

I'm pretty sure we have some money to be spent but I can't imagine it going on a forward/winger at the moment with Nani, Valencia, Cleverly, Wellbeck, Bebe, Obertan and Park on the books. I would imagine if there's money to be spent midfield will be the focus, and a goalkeeper

That said, when I have seen Hulk play he has looked pretty impressive

Do you think we actually have a decent amount of money to spend? Lulz. So you haven't seen him for two years, in which he's quickly become one of the best attacking footballers in europe. And he plays wide left (or right) so he'd be like a Park only nowhere near as shit. Personally, an attacking force of nani, rooney and hulk sounds tasty as hell.

I do think we have money to spend yes. £150-£160m in the bank according to the finance reports and Fergie and Gill both saying that money is there should they need it for new players. I don't know how much money we have to spend, granted but I imagine its a decent enough sum. Even if Glazers all of a sudden take out their carve out of £70m and their yearly £25m 'dividend' (something which they haven't done since being at the club) it still leaves a nice little amount in the bank to strengthen the team where needed.

Not to mention, you don't buy players for £8m when you haven't even seen them play if you've got no money to spare.

I'm fairly sure Hulk is a decent player, and yes, I haven't seen him play for a while but we've got more pressing matters in terms of replacing Scholes, Giggs and Van de Sar. Thats where the money will be spent I suspect.

I agree with Swans too, Fletcher is a top quality player, albeit one who is struggling for form (like most other players).

Not to mention, you don't buy players for £8m when you haven't even seen them play if you've got no money to spare.

I still don't understand this. I've seen him play and he's definitely not worth £8,000,000. Why didn't they just put the money towards somebody who could actually help in the areas we're struggling in right now? There's got to be more to that deal than they're letting on, because a club that professes that they won't pay over the odds for any player being willing to spend such an amount on somebody totally unproven is ridiculous.

We need 2 world-class centre midfielders first and foremost.

When Scholes retires we're fucked.

Which one of these world class centre mids is going to sit on the bench for most of the season when Fletcher plays? I completely agree that we will need one when Scholes retires though (or most likely next summer even if he doesn't retire).

I still don't understand this. I've seen him play and he's definitely not worth £8,000,000. Why didn't they just put the money towards somebody who could actually help in the areas we're struggling in right now? There's got to be more to that deal than they're letting on, because a club that professes that they won't pay over the odds for any player being willing to spend such an amount on somebody totally unproven is ridiculous.

We will have no idea how good the £8million spent on Bebe will be until he's settled in and actually had a decent amount of coaching. It's pointless saying he's not worth £8 million as it's pretty obvious we were paying for potential. I don't think it's a case of Ferguson buying him and then going "Shit, we can't afford to buy [insert your choice of player here] now!". I don't think there is anything dodgy about it either, clubs were sniffing around, the club quickly put in a release cause to his contract and then whoever wanted him had to stump up the cash.

Given both Inter and Juventus have been pretty open with expressing their interest, and given that Barca have been as well, do you really think he'd go for less? Really?

That would make him the fourth most expensive player of all time. Behind players who had shown consistency at the highest level for at least a couple of years. At a time when most clubs will be beginning to reign in transfer spending. It's not like there is any precedent for a transfer fee of that size either, Di Maria went for what, 35 million Euro all in and thats the closest recent transfer I can think of. The advantage of that of course is that Spurs won't neccessarily be forced into seling because of the size of the fee.

Well, lets give him a chance eh? My point was that it's a gamble to sign someone for that fee when you haven't even seen him play when you've supposedly got little or no money. I guess we'll have to wait and see if it was a gamble with taking or not. One thing he'll need though is time, and plenty of it.

I was banging on about him all summer and I'll say it again, we need to sign Schweinsteiger. Bale would be nice and Hulk too, but a centre mid has got to be our top priority surely.

He'd be a fantastic signing! His contract is up in 2012 too I think so maybe now is the time to sign him if there's a chance.

Also doing the rounds this morning is that we're set to sign De Gae for £15m. Sorry don't have a link at the moment but it's all over Twitter from journo's. Interesting if true, looked good whenever I've seen him and he's only 20 years of age.

The keeper situation is strange as unlike Giggs and Scholes who can't play every game VDS looks perfectly fine. One bad mistake against West Brom but other than that he's been excellent all season and his distribution is for the most part still second to none. Bringing in a younger keeper might be easier in some respects as you can integrate him over a season with VDS still here but part of me would prefer a more experienced keeper. Wouldn't surprise me if a deal was done in January though.

Agree that Schweinsteiger would be a good signing, him and Fletcher would make a pretty dynamic midfield even if lacking in a little bit of creativity.