The old Man Utd Thread

ThePixelbarks

He was fantastic against Sunderland and Blackburn. OK, that's two home games against sides we'd expect to beat at OT, but still. Was decent enough against WBA, especially when you consider what others did.

I think his overall play and fitness has been good. I mean the fact he's involved in so many goals suggests he's doing something. Is it coincidence that Berbas form dropped post his Scouse hat trick then returned once Rooney returned from injury?

It's a shame that some people feel no goals seems to equate to being shite with him. He's always been a player that scores in bursts, that takes time to return to form post injury, that relies heavily on confidence. His season has been so stop start stop it's untrue. Rooney should be playing now in the hope his scoring will return because what it Berba gets injured? It's March 2010 all over again, relying on a player whose confidence is rock bottom and paying for it. Sure we have Hernandez now which is a big plus, but I don't think he's ready to start and is doing nicely as is.

This season is probably a write off for Rooneys goals, but he could easily get to late teens for assists and maybe 10 for goals. Valencia is back soon whipping in those balls too. Which I think is a decent enough rate, all things considered.

Which reminds me, talking about March 2010, who was the United CF that was being wrote off in early 2010 due to a lack of goals? Wasn't that guy playing as a second striker like Rooney? Hell, that guy didn't even have to play on the wing.

So, Van Der Sar's retiring at the end of the season. A blessing and a curse imo. Whoever we buy to replace him (and we do need to buy a replacement) will come at a premium, as everyone will know we need a keeper. It's leapfrogged a central midfielder in terms of priority. However, the top keepers will be more interested, as they know they will be given time in the first team to settle. In all probability they will be given the no.1 shirt from their first day at the club. I'm not sure who's available though. If City by some miracle don't qualify for the CL, I wouldn't mind putting in a cheeky bid for Hart.

I can only think that they brought in Lindegaard so that they don't look too weak when trying to purchase a new number 1. I know he's been ill recently but he would surely have played at some point by now if he was going to be a started any time soon?

I don't know if I'd prefer a young option like De Gea, or someone with experience again like Buffon. Actually, probably the latter. Given would be great but I can't see that happening.

After the success of VDS, going for an older keeper doesn't seem like a bad idea at all if the price is right. I'd be quite happy if we went for Buffon and seeing as Juventus are hardly setting the world on fire he might be interested as well.

Ignoring the merits of the goalies at City (and I too would rather have O'Shea, he was mint against Spurs that game) there is no way in hell City would sell to us. They can, and would, rather let the player go on strike than sell to us.

Buffon is a massive shout that I'd favour. There's loads of youngish keepers we're linked with that have Champions League experience, but all would cost a shit load and none really stand out from the other. I'd get Buffon if possible and wait and see if anything else emerges.

Whatever happens though sell PIG, don't let him anywhere near the 1st team.

After the success of VDS, going for an older keeper doesn't seem like a bad idea at all if the price is right. I'd be quite happy if we went for Buffon and seeing as Juventus are hardly setting the world on fire he might be interested as well.

You'd be much better off buying someone younger for a lot of money like Neuer or Lloris (the latter I see you've been linked to as well) that'd give you more than 10 years of service, rather than spending a lot of money on Buffon who would give you less. Don't think that just because he's old he'd not cost much, he's still practically irreplaceable.

Oh yeah, we wouldn't get him 'cheap' by any means but you know he's safe whereas you can't guarantee that will be the case for the other keepers until they do move to a club at the very top. I don't think it will be Buffon and according to todays report United already have a 1-2-3 of keepers to go for.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how tough it is to be a keeper at a really big club. Barthez and Bosnich were both excellent keepers but neither could cope with the pressure and the fact you spend most matches not doing an awful lot. Howard had one excellent season then lost it and I think Foster clearly has the goalkeeping ability but he was never mentally capable of being United's keeper.

He could easily play two or three more seasons in terms of fitness, though the risk would be that his form would dip. Given his family situation, I don't think he could really concentrate on football much longer anyway. He wants to bow out on a high and be with his family, fair enough I say.

Buffon is a good shout, he's hardly old either. Might not be hideously expensive too, at least no more than anyone else who could actually slip into the no. 1 role with ease. Of course, we have no idea if he's actually be interested though.

I don't think any of the keepers we are interested in will be hideously expensive unless we get in a bidding war and when you look at the top clubs around Europe we are probably the only one looking for a new first choice keeper (maybe Arsenal as well).

Buffon is a good shout, he's hardly old either. Might not be hideously expensive too, at least no more than anyone else who could actually slip into the no. 1 role with ease. Of course, we have no idea if he's actually be interested though.

He'd definitely be hideously expensive, there'd be a riot in Turin if he was sold on the cheap. Actually there'd probably be a riot if he was sold at all.

If they could get him for less than 10 million and hope to get five or six years out of him I'd say that would be a worthwhile deal.

I think it's one of those situations where until someone is signed and given a season you can't say if they are right or wrong for the role, so young or old I'm just hoping the first one they get in is a success.

Obviously, but what if he wants to leave, which considering Juve's lack of progress this season isn't impossible.

I thought he was actually a couple of years younger so I can't see us going for him at 33.

He said not 2 weeks ago that he wants to spend the rest of his career there.